Wolfe Amplification Hellfire- Have a quick listen

True, but most can't run a standard Marshall at the end of cascaded gain stages without some kind of buffer behind it. I haven't seen the schematics for any of the amps you mentioned though, so I should probably bite my tounge.

Buy one of my amps and you are more than welcome to map it out :)
Well the Quickrod (or maybe it's a ProMod, not really sure) has a Marshall stack with no buffer. However, I have not played one so I really can't say if it is very responsive or not. I kind of like the raw sound you get when not using a CF, but then I also like the saturated/compressed tone you get when you use the CF.

Hah, I would, but I don't really play guitar anymore. I'm primarily a bassist, but I am still interested in amp design and will probably build my own design (loosely based off an Uberschall and a Budda Superdrive) for recording soon.

Logo is done!
Wolfe3.jpg

Wolfe4.jpg

WolfeSplash1.jpg

Special thanks to Alonso (insideac) for working with me to get something I had in mind.

Already sent it off to the CNC shop to have logo plates made. Should have them in about 3 weeks. Also looking at prices to have stickers made. T-Shirts are on the way too, and you will for sure get one free with an amp purchase!

Alright need some advice. About light colors this time.

Is a blue high intensity LED okay for a pilot light? The other choice is high intensity white. Tried em both, the white looks cool/different, but its super bright even with a huge resistor on it.

The other thing is lighting on the inside. I'm planning on putting 2 leds in the chassis, one on each side, to show off the tubes/transformers a bit. Should I go white or blue here?

Right now I'm thinking blue pilot light with white chassis lights. Or white pilot light with white chassis lights.

Edit- Another thing, I've put an attenuator in front of the master volume. This makes the MV much more usable. I've noticed on most amps I've played or owned, the MV is only useful about half to 3/4 of the way up. Anything further than that usually does nothing. The PI can only take so much signal before it just doesn't do anything useful. Once the PI is clipped to the max, it just gets nasty. So with the attenuator, I have the MV rigged to hit full usable signal at full clockwise position. So it's much easier to get bedroom levels with the MV, half way is nice and loud, 3/4 is full power at a bit of clipping the PI, 1/4 is a nice bedroom level. Yeah, cranking the PA sounds better, but I realize that some people need more control for lower volumes. I'm happy with it!

Hate to bump so soon, but I need some opinions on my last post quick since I'm about to drill the chassis and wire everything up tonight. Otherwise it will be white/white so it doesn't look like an Engl :)

I am a fan of blue pilot lights... why not just use the standard fender pilot lamp/jewel lenses instead of using LEDs?

Just a thought...
Yeah I'm thinking blue now, I think the white will be too annoying for anyone standing in front. As far as the standard lamp goes, I like LED's since they are brighter, more modern looking, and much smaller. No to mention they will outlive the owner of the amp.

I dont really understand what you mean by lighting up the tubes... so, yeah.

Like Engl-

img0602rq1.jpg

Wolfe, very cool logo, but why white light ? You could use something cooler, i dont know, purple or something. White on a stage will look too much like a kitchen :/

btw, care to elaborate on your mv design?

Wolfe, very cool logo, but why white light ? You could use something cooler, i dont know, purple or something. White on a stage will look too much like a kitchen :/

Sure. Just a simple resistor L-pad after the tone stack and in front of the MV 1meg pot to get the level nominal. A 220k in series, followed by a 220k to ground. Cuts the standard Marshall voltage to the PI in half. Played around with a bunch of different values, and this worked best. My PI is based off an old Fender 12AT7 design, and it really likes this setup. The PI gets a nice growl when cranked. Kinda sounds like speaker distortion, then you pump it up a bit more and actual get the speaker flex too :headbang:

If being totally honest, I hate blue leds. Especially the super bright ones. But cyan or purple could be cool, haven't seen them around.

The 'on' pilot light will be blue, since I already bought 30 of them :)

The inside looks very cool with the white LED back light.... It's not crazy bright, but still makes the tubes stand out.

The white light is better than you think, remember LED white is 100 times different than incandescent white....

man
eric consider me down for one of these in the future when i have some cash man. youve sold me.