WTF are you listening to?

Genre: Dumblecore

this is actually pretty cool man

epic doom metal with a few modern-ish tricks up its sleeve

some decent ass riffs going on

Some recent stuff for you peeps

Massive album--a lot to take in one sitting, but damn. Doomicer ,seems like it would be up your alley.

^^ love the build up on that second track--

From the same label---Finnish bm, very dynamic/adventurous for the style--something late 90's--the tracks are all over the place because they're from multiple ep's/demos of two bands [same members?] Awesome stuff--those melodies--

Lo-fi finnihsh bm with definite flare/strangeness --

Band I plugged in my best of 2019 albums, coming with a new one in a few days-that bass though :yow: :D Love this band.

German bm of extreme quality, beauty!--ten years ago, this would have elicited a collective RC pants shit-

Songs Ohia - discovered this yesterday night

Yes, Songs Ohia/jason molina is awesome--truly hair raising. You know I often have the exactly feeling you describe-when I discover something knew--how did I go this long just not knowing something so good was there.

I'm sure you have already looked into it, but if not, my two favorite albums by him are Didn't it Rain (see tracks, blue factory flame, steve albini blues) and Ghost Tropic (no limit on the words, not just a ghosts heart)--Also check out the 2 song ep Travel in Constants and the first self titled (crab orchard, blue stone, white sulfur) album, which is more stripped down than the later material--reminds me more of Will Oldham's stuff.

I bought two Fields of the Nephilim albums blind and am having a Where Have You Been All My Life moment with them right now. Not sure how I missed them all these years, but jaysus, they are turning into the soundtrack of my existence. Dust n' death indeed.

Also hot damn, that Songs: Ohia stuff is pretty good. And with songtitles like Steve Albini's Blues, I am in to investigate further.
"what the fuck is this shit that i dont recognize? where the fuck is iron maiden? please immediately return me into my comfortzone hugbox echochamber"
hahaha

Yes, Songs Ohia/jason molina is awesome--truly hair raising. You know I often have the exactly feeling you describe-when I discover something knew--how did I go this long just not knowing something so good was there.

I'm sure you have already looked into it, but if not, my two favorite albums by him are Didn't it Rain (see tracks, blue factory flame, steve albini blues) and Ghost Tropic (no limit on the words, not just a ghosts heart)--Also check out the 2 song ep Travel in Constants and the first self titled (crab orchard, blue stone, white sulfur) album, which is more stripped down than the later material--reminds me more of Will Oldham's stuff.
thanks buddy. i haven't really looked much into other albums than the lioness yet, still diving into his material. i will go on with your recommendations :thumbsup:

I bought two Fields of the Nephilim albums blind and am having a Where Have You Been All My Life moment with them right now. Not sure how I missed them all these years, but jaysus, they are turning into the soundtrack of my existence. Dust n' death indeed.
damn son i could talk about fields of the nephilim all day

i sure hope one of the albums was elizium, if not get on that post-haste

some of the material on dawnrazor and the nephilim is certainly more immediate but elizium is just such a beautiful and timeless piece in every way. from the artwork and typography to the production and the classy songwriting, it's just aaaa i don't even really have words

Yeah I got Elizium and The Nephilim. I need to spend more time with Elizium (and just put it on right now) but The Nephilim floored me before the first listen was done. I saw that you mentioned them a bit recently and also watched an old Agalloch interview where they bought them up several times and thought "wait what have I been missing," and wow, I've been missing some amazing music that's what.

I feel like many years of casually listening to Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy and Christian Death and Siouxsie and Joy Division and The Damned have all been a warmup round for Fields of the Nephilim. This shit is speaking to me on a level that I've always wanted to find in Gothic Rock (like a lot of goth-influenced metal has), and embodies that whole obsession thing that us music types continually seek until we die.

yeah i was also into katatonia and agalloch first and THEN eventually got to fields of the nephilim and "the watchmen" came on and i was like "oh."

btw if you ever wondered what it would be like if the year was 2012 and former members of fields of the nephilim got together with a female vocalist and a violin guy you should probably click the video below

musically this could easily be an elizium outtake and i fucking love it to bits

Last edited:
damn son i could talk about fields of the nephilim all day

i sure hope one of the albums was elizium, if not get on that post-haste

some of the material on dawnrazor and the nephilim is certainly more immediate but elizium is just such a beautiful and timeless piece in every way. from the artwork and typography to the production and the classy songwriting, it's just aaaa i don't even really have words
After about 25 listens to each album, I am finding your assessment correct. The Nephilim kicked mine arse immediately but now that I am getting to know both albums, Elizium is just... wow. I don't put this album on once, it's a two-spin-minimum disc.

This is one of those albums that you are just wrapped up in entirely and think "holy shit this first song is really good" but by the time you can even attempt to put together a coherent thought, you're already on track 5.

You ever get into the 4AD stuff from the '80s? My wife is super into those groups and introduced me to a lot of them. Cocteau Twins, Clan of Xymox, Dead Can Dance, etc. The atmosphere of this stuff is palpable, it's a physical presence that works on some ethereal level of sadness and amazing.

Wife: "You would like This Mortal Coil, but for me they are a little too depressing."
Me: "'Too depressing?!' That's like me saying 'this riff is too heavy.' No such thing!"

Reactions: Krilons Resa