WTF are you listening to?

I'm listening to David Bowie's Low for the first time ever, wondering WTF the big deal is.

[/another post wherein I disappoint Sick Dirloin]

EDIT: Okay I'm really enjoying side B (aka minute 21 on YouBoob) so perhaps I spoke too soon.

[/possible partial redemption]

Low is a great record, but Heroes is better in all ways. Check that one out too.

not a great album for introducing yourself to solstafir, IMO.

i still reckon masterpiece of bitterness is their masterpiece, as it were

but i have the highest respect and admiration for all their work, this is one of the most genuinely great metal bands active today (as i've been saying since about 2003)

^ how does it feel? ^]

Pretty good. They were always in the back of my mind to listen to but I'm glad I never bothered until I was actually receptive to them. Going to work backwords through their albums slowly and absorb them all.

I've been on a death metal kick for MONTHS
Barely listen to black metal or power metal anymore
Nile, Suffocation, Immolation, Incantation, Nominon, Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, Dismember, Cryptopsy, Psycroptic, Gorguts, Monstrosity.....
It has completely taken over. And I fucking love it! :kickass:

timecover.jpg

i still reckon masterpiece of bitterness is their masterpiece, as it were

but i have the highest respect and admiration for all their work, this is one of the most genuinely great metal bands active today (as i've been saying since about 2003)

for sure man.

masterpiece is one of my top 5 ALBUMS OF ALL TIME. it is their most accessible work and also their best. ritual of fire still gives me the goosebumps every time. i will forever remember listening to that song as I flew into Iceland... the waves and the rocks on the shore... amazing stuff. i think his vocals are at their peak on the album and also the production is actually perfect (fitting for the music, I mean).

now playing:

i am not necessarily posting these classical pieces because they are GENIUS (they are), but because they are being performed by Scott Ross. Complete and total mastery of the music... no modern harpsichordist can top him. entrancing

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have no idea what the big deal is about Nile. When I received their demo waaaay back in the day for my cheesy as fuck video show, I destroyed it. I don't see much difference to this day. They are certainly talented musicians and skilled at doing what they do, but I see nothing original or remotely interesting in it. I keep thinking I missed something and going back to revisit but it's not there.

How aren't they original? I have yet to hear a band that sounds anything like them, and no tech-death band can touch the overall atmosphere in their music.

Went to Youtube and listened to Lashed to the Slave Stick. Not bad by any means, but I don't get it. Perhaps I've been missing the true essence of Death Metal all these years. :err:

Jokes aside, no disrespect to these guys; solid material but I don't get where all the ground-breaking talk comes from.

Holy fuck I adore the hell out of In Their Darkened Shrines.

Other Nile is perfectly okay to me, what I've heard anyhow.
Low is a great record, but Heroes is better in all ways. Check that one out too.
Yep. I love Heroes. I should listen to more Bowie. Been a fan for 30 years abut I only know maybe 8 of his albums.

I listened to some Upwards of Endtime album the other night. That band was fucking :kickass:

Also a shitload of King Diamond. Farsot. The Crown. Umm... ISIS. Other things. Swans most likely. Yep, Swans. And on a drive home in 105 degree weather, the first Colour Haze of the season.

Oh hey I got high and listened to Lateralus on vinyl the other night. That was glorious, last I did that was when the damn thing just came out (and that wasn't on vinyl). Then, finally, I properly listened to Electric Wizard whilst still enjoying said reefer buzz, Dopethrone on vinyl it was. First time I've heard them under said influence. It sounded kind of plain to me in that state of mind. :lol: But I was falling asleep by that point. I'll try that again some time.

EDIT: I didn't actually LOL, that was merely an appropriate reaction, so my fingers tell me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9KOvIdk8gc&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

^___^