yes or no

inferenzum

Illuminatus Minor
Nov 13, 2002
www.devils-tale.tk
is Opeth christian?

i think opeth's music is pretty much religion-neutral, but more on the non-christian side to be sure. but there seems to be a lot of people i've talked to who think theyre xian. just wondering if theres a definitive answer...

From an interview:

Q: I wear the most offensive of CRADLE OF FILTH shirts, spiked bracers, metal plated boots, and all sorts of shit at various times in public and have never had a problem, yet it was one time when the Morningrise T-shirt was all I was wearing (well, not ALL I was wearing, I did have pants and shoes!) that I ran into some overzealous religious nut accusing me of Satanic belief and of helping to lead youth astray because I had a shirt that portrayed an ‘evil haunted house’ on it. Its your band, YOU explain what the hell happened, please! I don't get it!

A: Hmm, dunno! It’s not very satanic, is it? It’s dark, sure, but I don’t know what the hell he was playing at. Well, them Christians never get enough. I hate them! I despise Christianity, but I try not to care at all. I get disgusted when I see people who are so...nice! It’s shining through, those people gets my vote for being the sickest people on this earth. I bet they’re raping their children at home. They are sick motherfuckers!

demonspell - i was in some random chat the other day and the opeth topic came around, and somebody said they hated them, beause they were 'christian.' my first response of course was 'what the fuck does religion have to do with talent?' but it just peaked my curiosity, so i asked here.

Originally posted by apoapo
Of course they are!

Martin Mendez
He uses "the christian notes"(E and F) a lot in his playing. Definately a x-tian!!

Peter Lindgren
Well look at his face. Have you ever seen more christian face than that? I doubt!

Marting Lopez
Do you know what his nickname is? It's "The pounding wrath from above". HELLO!! X-TIAN WARNING!!!!

Mikael Åkerfeldt
Jesus-Sananda-4.jpg

:lol:

Originally posted by apoapo
Of course they are!

Martin Mendez
He uses "the christian notes"(E and F) a lot in his playing. Definately a x-tian!!

Peter Lindgren
Well look at his face. Have you ever seen more christian face than that? I doubt!

Marting Lopez
Do you know what his nickname is? It's "The pounding wrath from above". HELLO!! X-TIAN WARNING!!!!

Mikael Åkerfeldt
Jesus-Sananda-4.jpg

OH MY...:lol:

Originally posted by Fidel Castrato
From an interview:

Q: I wear the most offensive of CRADLE OF FILTH shirts, spiked bracers, metal plated boots, and all sorts of shit at various times in public and have never had a problem, yet it was one time when the Morningrise T-shirt was all I was wearing (well, not ALL I was wearing, I did have pants and shoes!) that I ran into some overzealous religious nut accusing me of Satanic belief and of helping to lead youth astray because I had a shirt that portrayed an ‘evil haunted house’ on it. Its your band, YOU explain what the hell happened, please! I don't get it!

A: Hmm, dunno! It’s not very satanic, is it? It’s dark, sure, but I don’t know what the hell he was playing at. Well, them Christians never get enough. I hate them! I despise Christianity, but I try not to care at all. I get disgusted when I see people who are so...nice! It’s shining through, those people gets my vote for being the sickest people on this earth. I bet they’re raping their children at home. They are sick motherfuckers!

Not from AN interview, this is from one of MY interviews. :)

3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

"3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life."

:| dammit! i knew someone would take this opportunity to show how useless they can be to an honest inquiry.

Interestingly enough, the devil is mentioned in 'Deliverance'. A first for Opeth (?). The first band logo also had an inverted cross. Quite the ugly logo, that was.