Yo Andreas!

fizodan

Apr 6, 2009
Most bass players, including myself, are blown away by your playing. Who do you listen to? Who are your favorite bass players?
De flesta basister, inklusive jag själv, blåses bort av ditt spelande. Vem lyssnar du på? Vem är din favorit basister?

Monsigneur,

I'm not sure that most bass players are blown away, but it's great if can inspire someone.

Not to come across like a dick, but the players I really like are few and far between.
Sure Victor Wooten is a great slap player and I love much of his work (even have a DVD), but being a prog metal player I tend to think that those fusion/jazz dudes actually have a rather sloppy technique. You can here it when they're soloing or playing scales.
Steve Bailey is an exception -he has a fabulous technique.

It is no secret that Marcel Jacob was my biggest hero. I have never heard someone play like he did. It was amazing to see him every time. The tone, the flow and the playing.... Outstanding.

I also like Thomas Miller's work, the first SyX-bassist. He too played rather sloppy at times and not always very clean, but his bass lines are also unique and inspired me.

In fact, listen to Edge of forever with SyX and Fabricated War with Talisman and you'll hear where I got some of the ideas starting out.

Then I also tried to mimick guitar players a lot, which is where/how I developed my arpeggio technique which I am very proud of.

Aside from my biggest heros Steve Harris, Geezer Butler and Cliff Burton were all very important in me starting to play bass even though I guess it was many, many years ago since I looked to them for inspiration.
Oh -I really like Barry Sparks too! He is great.

I hope that answers your question.

I've actually never heard Talisman before. They shred! Thanks for the answer. Speaking of Thomas Miller, how about a U.S. tour with Symphony X? Throw in Circus Maximus? You would make every prog fan here happy! Play in Los Angeles and New York? I'll book it! :)

Hey Andreas, I'm surprised by your list.... I expected John Myung there, in a way.....I mean, I don't really hear that root in your playing, but hasn't Dream Theater been one of your major influences??
Besides, that guy must have a separated place when it comes about technique hehe.... What can you say about him??

Interesting bassists, I'll check 'em out. I play bass too, but just starting to learn it, since I switched from guitar to bass in my band.

I also, very boldly, would like to make a couple recommendations if I may, a couple of bassists who inspired me to switch instruments: first, Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers; and secondly, Juan Alderete, from The Mars Volta. It's their funky style what I like about their playing.

What are your opinions on them and who else would you recommend that I listen to, in order to increase my knowledge a bit, guys?

Regarding the John Myung-post>

-that is a bit of a tricky answer that I don't really know how to answer in a good way. Yes, DT has been a great influence on me, but more so the songstructures etc than Myung's actual playing. On When dream and day unite, he is all over the place and I love what he's doing, but what happened then? Sure the Metropolis solo, but what else is interesting on the subsequent albums bass wise -if you exclude all the parts where he doubles with the guitar? For instance, compare his "solo" in Dance of eternity to anything the the guys in my first post have done...
At the same time, you are absolutely right that he is very skilled with respect to technique. Lots of the stuff he plays is way beyond me in many ways. What he does is difficult but not always that cool to listen to from my perspective. So in short -great player, but not my fave...

Regarding the other post>
I guess Flea is pretty cool, but that is not an inspiration source for me. He is funky, but again, like I wrote in my first post, those funk guys usually have a rather sloppy technique when they leave their comfort zone of slapping. Still, he is of course a lot better than I am in many ways.
The other band I am not familiar with

Regarding the other post>
I guess Flea is pretty cool, but that is not an inspiration source for me. He is funky, but again, like I wrote in my first post, those funk guys usually have a rather sloppy technique when they leave their comfort zone of slapping. Still, he is of course a lot better than I am in many ways.
The other band I am not familiar with

You should definitely check out The Mars Volta - they are one of the most unique bands out there. Check some of Alderete's bass playing for example on the song "Day Of The Baphoments":

Studio Version (Bass sounds very neat here):

Live Version:
Part 1:

Part 2:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly what I thought about Myung. In my opinion one of the best and most fun bass players to watch in rock music is Billy Sheehan.