"You know you're a viking if...."

I lost one mjölnir at a beach once. It just fell off, plus it was dark. Luckily it was not my special one, which stays on me at all times, except fpr "certain" moments, when I just feel it gets in the way. I'm usually more careful about where I put, but...

Heh... my Mjollnir never gets in the way.... i see it as a symbol of my dedication to the Aesir and so it is the most prized belonging that i have

LOL yeah thats true... that is partially the reason i got it tattooed on my hand and i was thinking about getting Gungnir tattooed on the opposite hand...

Winter raids were not totally unknown, but the impression I get is that they were usually more of a military invasion in nature as opposed to the "smash and grab" of a raid where the main objective was to gather as many valuables as possible, and head for home. :
Well, according to Jan Guillou, the swedes were afraid of norwegian viking raides during the winter.. The longboats could break the ice, and they came without warning, slicing through the fog and ice like a knife in warm butter.

ARE YOU KIDDING??? Sweetie, if you want to be taken seriously, don't ever, ever quote Janne Gillou as a source in historical matters. He is a very excellent journalist that specializes in fiction novels, but he even admits himself that they are not based on actual events. They are based on things that could have been possible, which is entirely different from what actually happened.

My opinion as an archaeologist is that the Swedes were just as scared of the Norweigans as the Norwegians were of the Danes, who were just as scared of the Swedes and so on. They were one and the same people, but different regional groups existed within the areas. The countries as we know them were not countries back then, the part that was Norwegian one week would be Danish the next, only to become Swedish a few months later and then back again, depending on who killed/formed an alliance/married/hated whom, where, when and why. You can't make blanket statements for the whole area, and even at that, it's a two way street: the dragonships of, let's say, the Svear, were just as fast and lethal in shallow water as a dragonship owned by someone from Rogaland or Jellinge. The construction was the same, save the size, which varied depending on a number of things.
The only people I can think of that most Norsemen were intimidated by would have been the Finn "magicians", because they were thought to be more powerful than the Norse Seidkonor.

-_- I know you can't qoute him on alot of things.. But he does discribe the environment and feeling of that time really good. But yeah, you are propably right. And I know that longboats were the same, but I was speaking of longboats in general... My firefox got fucked ^^

Oh, you mean as in "winter raids are not unheard of according to this source" sort of?
I suppose one sould take into account, too, that temperatures were warmer back then, so I suppose it could be that the ice was not as thick in some areas as it is now. Incidentally, at Birka, they supposedly held a winter market on the ice. The ice would have had to be pretty thick for that, but then again, I don't remember who my source is, and I think that it is not an entirely undisputed fact. None the less...

Blodørn;6128514 said:
Well, according to Jan Guillou, the swedes were afraid of norwegian viking raides during the winter.. The longboats could break the ice, and they came without warning, slicing through the fog and ice like a knife in warm butter.

Generally, as a rule, you should keep one thing in mind whenever Jan Guillou opens his mouth:

THE MAN IS LYING!!!

I mean, in all probablilty, he is not even a man. He probably lied about that as well.

Oh, you mean as in "winter raids are not unheard of according to this source" sort of?
I suppose one sould take into account, too, that temperatures were warmer back then, so I suppose it could be that the ice was not as thick in some areas as it is now. Incidentally, at Birka, they supposedly held a winter market on the ice. The ice would have had to be pretty thick for that, but then again, I don't remember who my source is, and I think that it is not an entirely undisputed fact. None the less...

We generally have no ice on the seas in Scandinavia theese days.... Atleast not in the southern parts of Norway and Swedes..

Blodørn;6132429 said:
We generally have no ice on the seas in Scandinavia theese days.... Atleast not in the southern parts of Norway and Swedes..
We still do in Sweden, on the Baltic coast. I don't know about the west coast, though. The ice across to Denmark got thick enough that people could cross it to escape the Germans during the war (and for one of our kings to attack Denmark with a whole army, horses and all, without going through the ice, once upson a time!).