your definition of a sellout

Well, with Maiden and Kiss I dont think they "sold out" as such because noone was ever forced to buy any of the remasters/associated stuff, not that that excuses them constantly rereleasing it etc. but its a different thing to changing your sound or whatever! :D

Ah, but KISS *did* change their sound. Everything after "Alive!" was a reflection of what they thought they ought to do rather than the raw sound of the early albums. Think about it...

Destroyer= big budget production with lots of overdubs, string sections etc

Rock n Roll Over/Love Gun= Basic 70s 'ard rawk formula, but still more polished than the first three studio records

Dynasty/Unmasked= Disco themed teen pop

Elder= Rush/Pink Floyd type concept album

Creatures= "Ooh blimey, we really fucked up with that last one. Here's a metal album to prove we can still rock."

Lick It Up- Hot In The Shade (inclusive) Predictable 80s glam stuff designed to appeal to the MTV crowd.

Revenge= Destroyer + Creatures. Intended to prove to themselves and the fans that they could still cut it.

Carnival of Souls= Grunge

Over the years, there's been so much tampering with the "classic KISS" sound that not one of them has a clue what it is anymore. This, coupled with Gene & Paul's habit of trendriding and whoring themselves to the hghest bidder, goes a long way towards explaining why Psycho Circus (the "reunion" album that promised so much and delivered so little) was such an unfocused, overproduced pile of shit.

I hate having to say things like that about my favourite band of all time, but when it comes to selling out, KISS wrote the book- and charged a ridiculous amount of money for it. :lol:

W

But it doesnt count if the sell out albums are still good :D

See Ultraphobic by Warrant for a good idea, they went grunge and it rocks!

Originally posted by Southy

And yea spawny i have noticed that if the album is still good no-one really cries sellout, but hey what can ya do?

Just enjoy the album :headbang: :D

Originally posted by Southy
Thats all its meant to be about aint it the music not the look or whatever?

True, but even no image is an image these days, you cat escape all that crap unfortunately. :)

I'd just like to belatedly follow up LT's comments with a "me too"! He said what i would have said...........

Originally posted by Lord Tim
Ner!! Take that, everyone else! HAHA!

:lol:

Oh yeah, for me Digimortal is by far the weakest of FF's albums, and SoaNM by far the heaviest and best! ;)

Okay, to me selling out is changing your musical style to follow a trend. Basically, its when a band tries more to please the masses than to please their own fans.

That is why Load is a sellout for instance. Who was the target audience of that album? The alternative rock fans of 1996, or the Metallica fans who had stuck by the band all those years?

Whether or not the band also wanted to experiment more, they sold out because the musical change was to something more popular at the time and it was a complete turn against what the fans wanted. The music, production, image, hairstyles, album cover, new logo, album title... everything about it beared no resemblance to the Metallica that the fans had grown to love.

The black album, however, I think was an example of progression rather than selling out. Each album they did from the start was slightly more melodic and had less S.F. thrash attitude than its previous album, and the Black album just happened to be the one where they hit the big time because the more melodic side to their music incorporated into that album appealed to the Skid Row/Guns N Roses fans at the time, while still pleasing most of their thrash fans.

ALSO... I think a sellout album isn't necessarily a bad album.

Here is an example... Ifyou look at Kiss' career, as Wrathy said they are huge sellouts... I mean Animalize and Asylum are sellout albums because they hopped on the lipstick/hair/LA glam badwagon, but they are great albums still. And Carnival Of Souls jumped on the mid-90s grungy heavy rock bandwagon of Alice In Chains, Ugly Kid Joe, Soundgarden, and bands like that... but that also rocks! Then if you look at Psycho Circus, where they tried to recapture the "classic" Kiss sound, its shit except for about 2 songs!

Another thing, I don't always think that the "poser" bands playing commercial mallcore are usually sellouts either. For nstance Korn and Slipknot aren't sellouts, because they never claimed to be a true metal band then decided to incorporate rapping because it would sell more records. (It's the 12 year old skater fans and idiotic music industry dingbats who call those bands metal because they hear heavy guitars and don't know what metal is). They just happen to suck and I just happen to hate their music. (BUT: I spose the test whether or not those bands are sellouts will come when the mallcore trend dies, and we will see if they keep playing that music or if they jump on the next bandwagon)

Same with deal with bands like Poison. Sure they were VERY commercial and far from "true metal", but Poison have proven that they are FAR from being sellouts, as they've pretty much stayed glam even through the 90s and 2000s now, in a time when glam metal is the laughing stock of the music industry. Poison though, unlike Korn and Slipknot, happen to rock and be good musicians and entertainers.

Warrant, on the other hand, were a much better band than Poison, but they were sellouts because when glam died, they went alternative.

So yeah.... basically to me, to sell out is to abandon your fans and your roots to follow the trends that will bring you more money, and the bands that don't sell out are the ones who stick by what their fans and their music whether it is the popular thing at the time or not... And whether or not a band sells out doesn't make them a good or bad band because Kiss are my favourite band of all time despite their bandwagon jumping.

:D

I don't think that's quite fair. Just because a band changes direction doesn't make them sell out. I mean, peoples tastes changes, and if one day Lord Tim wakes up and says, you know, I don't wanna play metal anymore, I wanna play avante-guarde jazz fusion, and then goes and makes an avante-guarde jazz fusion album doesn't mean he's sold out.

It's the motives behind the change. But now I've just read Trent's reply again, and that's exactly what he said, so I'll stop.

But I will add that just because you change your style and it doesn't please your fans doesn't make it selling out. As a matter of fact, I think bands should pretty much ignore their fans WHEN IT COMES TO MAKING MUSIC. Pretty much ALL of the greatest albums ever have been made when the artists love what they are doing and not just pandering to fans.

It's possible that Kiss, Metallica and Warrant (well, maybe not Kiss) are only percieved sellouts, and that they are still only doing what they want.

Warrant are sellouts Phloggy :D Doesnt mean they dont rule though! Their grungefied album Ultraphobic is awesome!!!

Anyway, I wish I could sell out, then id be rich and have lots of women folk. Maybe ill audution for Limp "2 chords and a harmonic" Bizkit :D

Nah Phloggy as I said... its not so much that they have to pender to their fans, but when they try to appeal to the mass market at the time instead of their fans, it's selling out.

Also, I'm sure if Lord Tim decided to play avante-guarde jazz fusion, it wouldn't be a Dungeon album, it would be a side project. Let's hope anyway hahaha. *fingers crossed that there's no saxophones on the upcoming album* Haha!

Side projects are what experimenting is for. Thats the best way to release your other musical creativity... but if an established band with a strong fan base such as Metallica decides to experiment with a bluesy/country/alternative rock album such as Load, it shouldn't bear the Metallica name.