your definition of a sellout

Originally posted by phlogiston

To the tune of "Puppets"
Napster (Napster) Napster (Napster), where's the cash that I've been after.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think what happened with that was some wanker lawyer has told the band people were stealing their music, then the band stupidly didnt check it out themselves and started the whole stupid thing. Idiots! :(

Sebastian Bach is worse than Metallica about that kind of thing. He complains about people having private bootlegs of Skid Row, but at the same time his pride and joy is his collection of rare Kiss shows....

If that man's head was any bigger he'd be a South Park character.

Originally posted by The Trooper
Sebastian Bach is worse than Metallica about that kind of thing. He complains about people having private bootlegs of Skid Row, but at the same time his pride and joy is his collection of rare Kiss shows....

If that man's head was any bigger he'd be a South Park character.

Man, Skid Row rule so much!

Sebastian sucks so much ass though. Stupid fucking prima donna breaking up one of the greatest ever bands :(

Yep Skid Row won't be the same without Sebastian :(

If I had a choice of seeing Skid Row without Baz, or Baz with his own band playing Skid Row songs, I'd choose him... because his voice makes it sound like Skid Row.

But he's a dickhead.

Originally posted by The Trooper
Yep Skid Row won't be the same without Sebastian :(

If I had a choice of seeing Skid Row without Baz, or Baz with his own band playing Skid Row songs, I'd choose him... because his voice makes it sound like Skid Row.

But he's a dickhead.

Well I still want to see Skid Row with the new singer, they are GREAT songwriters and thats all that matters, Sebastian is just going to end up doing old Skid Row songs because he is too unfocused to be a songwriter. I cant wait to hear the new Skid Row album, as long as he is a good singer (and im told he is) then I see no problem with it :)

Yeah I agree about that... but at the same time, when it comes to playing the songs live, it's not who wrote the songs that really counts. It's the performance of them.

I'd much rather hear a new Skid Row album than Sebastian album.

Yep the napster thing really did top it all off. They lost so much respect over that. Why did they bother? They were stinking rich already.

I am not saying this because I actually like Load and Re-Load (I completely understand why alot of people don't...), but I don't think Metallica have taken too many steps wrong. I do believe they have sold out on another level, contradicting themselves and so forth, but not in their music. They only changed their sound for the Load/Re-Load era, which was supposed to be one double album in the first place. Alot of bands have done experimental albums (Megadeth's "Risk"??). Of course they are going to want to try something different after 15 years of being musicians and writers, and also growing up. I think staying the same just to please fans is a way of selling out, as you know you are going to please, even if it does get a little old (Maiden??). Musicians do owe alot to their fans, but they don't have to answer to them, they are free to experiment however they like.

Since Re-Load, Metallica have put out Garage Inc which I think is a great album of covers, and it is good to see they didn't just pick all typical tracks to cover. I do agree with Trent that it doesn't have the same vibe, but it is still a rocking metal covers album. I also really like the S&M album, as it adds alot of flavour to some of the older tunes (though admittedly it does ruin a few classics at the same time). This goes hand in hand with the 'experimenting' of Load and Re-Load. Metallica wanted to do a show with an orchestra, and they recorded it and released it so that their fans would be able to share the experiance. If they didn't, fans would of complained that they didn't get to hear the result...

Personally, I don't see why most people have lost respect for Metallica over the whole Napster deal. I agree with everything Lars put forward about the situation, and although I DO use mp3's, I only use them for samples, which is how I think they should be used, with the artists permission. When used as samples, mp3s can make the artist money by getting people interested in the band, and potentially buy the album. When mp3s of whole albums are freely distributed, alot of people feel no need to buy the product, robbing the artist of royalties that they deserve.

Ok, now everyone feel free to flame away, I am expecting it. :)

I actually agreed with Metallica's stand on the Napster issue; what I didn't agree with was the way they handled it. They actually threatened innocent fans with massive law suits. Most of those people were completely unaware they had done anything 'wrong'... they merely wanted to hear the new Metallica track first, before anyone else. Remember that it was originally only going to be available on the 'MI2' soundtrack album, which meant that people would've had to buy a whole album of crappy songs by bands like Limp Bizkit just to get one Metallica track. Metallica has ALWAYS been very protective of their mechanical copyright. How many compilations do you find their songs on? Answer: NONE. Like Sepultura, they won't allow their material to be included on compilations.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
This goes hand in hand with the 'experimenting' of Load and Re-Load. Metallica wanted to do a show with an orchestra, and they recorded it and released it so that their fans would be able to share the experiance. If they didn't, fans would of complained that they didn't get to hear the result...

Thats true, I think S&M sucks, but when I heard about it, I wanted to hear it out of curiosity :D

I like Garage Inc. Tis cool :D

Reload DOES feel like Load leftovers though.....

I wish they were smart enough to realise the ABSOLUTE futility of fighting Napster etc. Kill one and 2 more pop up, theres always going to be a way to download MP3s, you cant stop it. I download whole albums months before they come out but I still buy them, I dont feel guilty at all, the only thing MP3s have done is make me buy more cds.....

Originally posted by spawn

I download whole albums months before they come out but I still buy them, I dont feel guilty at all, the only thing MP3s have done is make me buy more cds.....

Thats odd,it ussually makes people burn more cd's...

Reload DOES feel like Load leftovers though.....
Yes well, they had to choose what material they wanted to use for the Load album out of everything they had, so of course they were going to choose mostly the best stuff. I think the best stuff off of Re-Load wasn't used because it was unfinished...
Would have made a great double album though, IMO. :)

I download whole albums months before they come out but I still buy them, I dont feel guilty at all, the only thing MP3s have done is make me buy more cds.....
I don't think there is a problem with people doing this, but most people don't. There are ALOT of people out there that think since they have all the material burnt onto a cd that there is no need to purchase the actual product. :rolleyes:

Goreripper: I agree with that. Lars can be a real nob sometimes...

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg

Yes well, they had to choose what material they wanted to use for the Load album out of everything they had, so of course they were going to choose mostly the best stuff. I think the best stuff off of Re-Load wasn't used because it was unfinished...
Would have made a great double album though, IMO. :)

TRUE! A 40 dollar double album like S&M or Garage Inc. would have been great!
Yet 2 that sound the same separated by 4 years sound a little tired really, I think that was the real problem IMHO, not the actual quality of the music :)

Originally posted by Koichi
No No,i think it was the quality

:lol:

Ok, but there were SOME good tracks! I could come up with one strong album if I could pick the good songs and discard the crap from both albums. Also id get rid of the pictures that make them look like pimps. That is all.

I have a burner now but I will refuse to burn albums. I download mp3s to test out albums, then if I like it, I buy it on CD or vinyl.

Also, I don't download the whole albums, because I like the feeling of getting a surprise when I first put on the album I've bought, so its good to hear a few sample tracks to get an idea, then hear the rest when I buy it.

Hahahaha nice picture there Tonci. Is that the dude from Immortal or Mayhem or Satyricon or something? They all look the same haha.