Your favorite guitarist

I've read all the posts and no mention or Alex Lifeson or Rik Emmett?

Alot of guitarists I like have been mentioned but these two deserve a mention.

Karl or Dallas from Nile are probably my favorites, but I must add that Psy Coma (aka Pzy Clone, aka Blackheart, aka Thanatos, aka Amund Svensson) from The Kovenant is also very, very good, but unfortunately very overlooked by most people.

I just have to post this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRTeZuXBa2w

Then the spoof:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s10s7vsBU4o&mode=related&search=

Might I add that I really hate Dragonforce, and I think all they can do is play fast (sloppy) and try to be hardcore, while they're just geeks who've made two good songs, which oddly enough, are the two slowest songs they've played so far.

The parody sums it up. Hahah.

This parody made my day. Thank you so much for sharing that

Dave Mustaine - Duh!
David Gilmour - Pink Floyd
James Hetfield - Duh!
Ihsahn - Emperor
Mikael Ackerfeldt - Opeth
Neal Schon - Journey
Mike and Chris Ammott - Arch Enemy and Mike's work in Carcass
Jerry Cantrell - AIC
Chris Cornell and Kim Thayill - Soundgarden
Trey Azagthoth - Morbid Angel
Isaac Delahaye - God Dethroned
Jeff Loomis - Nevermore
Vincent and Danny Cavanagh - Anathema
Nuno Bettencourt - Duh!
My friend Raffaello Indri - Rain, Garden Wall, Burnin' Dolls, Harduo

Tony Iommi would be mine, he is very creative and is a riff god. I am quite disappointed he hasn't been mentioned more. Also mikael akerfeldt, Steve Vai, Jimmy Page, and the asian guy from Dragon Force, for his incredible fast solos.

I just got a solo album by robert fripp. He's always been one of my favorite artists, but his solo work is simply amazing. He does this thing where he plays into a synthesiser and can loop something or store it in a pedal or something to that effect. Anyways, what that means is he has tons of effects and he does layers. He does an improv in four part by himself. It is really cool. CHeck out the gates of paradise. It isn't metal, but it is mindblowing. possibly the most noise ever made with one guitar.

well too much guy but i think at the moment Alexi Laiho for the speed and his riffs, jesper stromblad and bjorn gelotte and so zakk wyld arghhhh

speed is nothing. expression is everything.
Correct!! Speed as an expression? It's just a way of showing off your licks. Has nothing to do with expression. Blackheim, from Katatonia, plays with more "emotion" and/or expression than IMO, any other guitarist in Metal. Not fast, just superb in creating atmosphere and evoking feelings. This fuckin' Dimebag Darrel "cocksucking" makes me sick. He was just a good metal guitarist, nothing more or less. In the "Bach Rock" category, Malmsteen couldn't carry Jason Beckers guitar case.

Yngwie malmsteen-got me into lead playing the first time i heard far beyond the sun i was blown away and wanted to play like that, i also love his stage presence as well

jason becker- the guy was on another level he could play fast but also slow it down and have lots of melody in his stuff. its not just speed like batio.

dimebag- i love his harmonic work and how he got thoes dimebag squeels, i also love the tone he got from his guitars.

alexi-his lead work with his diminished arpegios

Correct!! Speed as an expression? It's just a way of showing off your licks. Has nothing to do with expression. Blackheim, from Katatonia, plays with more "emotion" and/or expression than IMO, any other guitarist in Metal. Not fast, just superb in creating atmosphere and evoking feelings. This fuckin' Dimebag Darrel "cocksucking" makes me sick. He was just a good metal guitarist, nothing more or less. In the "Bach Rock" category, Malmsteen couldn't carry Jason Beckers guitar case.

Expression and emotion in your opinion, I hear something any kid in his basement could do. Nor is Dimebag's guitar playing bach-rock, though it is quite a bit of regurgitatin' Judas Priest. Just because wankers have a reason to wank on their guitars should make you upset. I for one can't stand emotion on a guitar anymore than I can in Celine Dion's voice.