your favorite katatonia album

i need to decide on two out of Tonights Decision, The Great Cold Distance, and Last Fair Deal Gone Down,but all of you seem to have different opinions.
ill probably just see if i can find some other money and get all three :)

Morfeind said:
Actually, I rediscovered Katatonia with that album and have been addicted ever since. I had copies of Last Fair Deal, Discouraged Ones and Viva Emptiness collecting dust until one day I gave the latter another shot and was completely blown away. I guess Katatonia finally "clicked" with me that day.

Yeah but it's kind of unpredictable with VE...
There are many people who discovered Katatonia with this album. But if it had been the first album I heard of them, I wouldn't have bothered checking the other albums :zombie:

why not start with tonight's decision as it is also a solid album? then move on forwards and backwards... depending on your taste, doom or just plain good and depressing rock?

Cerulean said:
Yeah but it's kind of unpredictable with VE...
There are many people who discovered Katatonia with this album. But if it had been the first album I heard of them, I wouldn't have bothered checking the other albums :zombie:
that's funny because if LFDGD had been the first album i heard of them, i wouldn't have bothered to check the other ones.

that's why you were told to get black sessions mate, it includes the most catchy songs of katatonia............don't start with tgcd ot ve,they lack of spirit

no_reply said:
that's why you were told to get black sessions mate, it includes the most catchy songs of katatonia............don't start with tgcd ot ve,they lack of spirit

I definitely don´t think that they lack of spirit; tgcd is a masterpiece, powerful and emotional....but everyone has a different opinion, it has also something to do with personal experience and memories connected to a certain album.....but for someone new I guess that LFDGD is the best album to start with....and once you`ve got into Kata-Music you need them all....

Tonight's Decision is my favorite. It's the first one i ever bought, so you could say it has sentimental value to me. It is also just a great album.

Mine would be "Dance of December Souls", though I only have that and "Discouraged Ones."

Brave Murder Day is the most lasting in my opinion. I can put that CD in now and love it just as much as I did back in 199...whenever it came out. On the clean vocal side I think Discouraged Ones or Tonight's Decision would be my favorites.

lucifer1126 said:
i'd say grab the black sessions box. well worth the money with all the good songs from the newer material and comes with a dvd!
If you plan not to buy any other Katatonia album, then get Black sessions. These kind of "best of" stuff just makes holes in your possible future collection. Check out the samples on www.katatonia.com and make your choice out of whatever sounds good to you. I prefer the later albums, but make up your own mind..

I first got Tonight's Decision and it left me wanting more... then got Viva Emptiness and Last Fair Deal Gone Down.. they also left me wanting for more. The Great Gold Distance and VE took some time before I really got into them but now I loooove them.

Each of Katatonia albums have very unique atmosphere. LFDGD is my favourite in general, but for some moods other albums work better. As always..

Hmm. Can't even decide myself which would be second best album after LFDGD :lol:

the great cold distance. as a representation of where they now are musically that album is phenomenal and a welcome successor to viva emptiness which i loved as well. they are probably the best rock group on the planet right now and they will continue to get better i think. i'm betting that the whole vibe and atmosphere on their next album will be amazing.