Your favorite prog guitarists?

Anybody heard of Vlatko Stefanovski? He's a Macedonian jazz-fusion guitarist who had a very succesfull group called Leb i Sol. They played everything from ethno to fusion and prog. He's one of the most amazing guitar players I've ever heard. He is a shredder but also a tasteful player. Nowadays he does mainly ethno folk stuff but has also written a few soundtracks.

After listening to Suspended Animation, I just can't imagine any guitarist that is more *diverse*.. John Petrucci of course, not only for his technical proficiency but also his ability to write diverse and good songs.

By the way, somebody mentioned Thordendal, wasn't expecting this..

What's wrong with Thordendal?

People say Petrucci is versatile in the same thread that Steve Howe is mentioned :err: :guh: :yow:

I'm not saying Petrucci is bad or even not a great 'prog guitarist', but c'mon, versatile. I never heard him go into an acoustic boom-chick pattern before than follow it up with a flowing, lyrical, jazzy solo. Even on Suspended Animation he just relies on the same old.

People say Petrucci is versatile in the same thread that Steve Howe is mentioned :err: :guh: :yow:

I'm not saying Petrucci is bad or even not a great 'prog guitarist', but c'mon, versatile. I never heard him go into an acoustic boom-chick pattern before than follow it up with a flowing, lyrical, jazzy solo. Even on Suspended Animation he just relies on the same old.

Very true. At first I thought he was a great guitarist, but then I realized he isn't that versatile. He still can play and I like some of his more tasteful solos (like the one on "Czar of Steel" from Sherinian's BLOOD OF THE SNAKE), but he is not good enough to be counted among the greats.

So true. Just liste to Vai's Fire Garden Suite and tell who's versatile and who's not.

Really? I mean come on, how can you not tell the difference between Glasgow Kiss and Jaws of Life? Animate Inanimate? Sure he does not do finger picking or acoustic nor he does play classical music but with his tools, he is quite solid in writing different songs. Unlike proficient guitarists his songs do not look alike..

Although Petrucci isn't my favorite, he does have some interesting moments in Liquid Tension Experiment.

Really? I mean come on, how can you not tell the difference between Glasgow Kiss and Jaws of Life? Animate Inanimate? Sure he does not do finger picking or acoustic nor he does play classical music but with his tools, he is quite solid in writing different songs. Unlike proficient guitarists his songs do not look alike..

On that album there are really only two types of playing - the heavy songs and the ballads. The heavy songs have heavy riffs with John noodling away over the top (quite tasteful in some cases - but it hardly draws me back to it consistly), and the ballads 'Wishful Thinking' and 'Lost Without You' (the latter being probably my favourite on that album, despite some cheese sprinkled on top). Compared to some of Steve Vai's albums, trust me, John is a bit one-dimensional. Not saying he is a bad guitarist (far from it) or even a bad song or riff writer, but versatile he is not.

^Well, there should be a versatility checker formula :) I would mostly recognise a Vai song, he seems pretty much the same to me. But maybe thats because I havent listened to him enough? (He is boring so I cant probably). Each to his own they say..

P.S. And I haven't mentioned his DT discography yet..

^Well, there should be a versatility checker formula :) I would mostly recognise a Vai song, he seems pretty much the same to me. But maybe thats because I havent listened to him enough? (He is boring so I cant probably). Each to his own they say..

P.S. And I haven't mentioned his DT discography yet..

Yeah, until they make that exact science, hehe.

Okay, the title of this thread refers to prog guitarists.
What nitwit considers Al Dimeola and/or Jeff Beck to be prog gutiarists in any sense of the word?
"Robert Fripp was fantastic" Did he die or something? He IS great, extremely underrated, in my opinion, which is always right.