Your favourite band no one has heard of

Ok, here it is. Not the best review, and I question my reference to Maudlin of the Well. Vocals are not like Cynic except in that they are not gutteral DM style. They are closer to Atheist.

============

Coma Void – Stormking Twilight
Metal Age Records

Coma Void is one of those bands that may not get the recognition they deserve. They are not content to play run-o-the-mill brutal death, melodic death, symphonic black or any of the other styles that so many people eat up. They are among the more elite, but overlooked, playing their own original blend. In this sense they could probably be grouped with such bands as Maudlin of the Well, Cynic and Atheist.

This band released a self titled demo under the name Merde. The demo is in a similar style as described below, but a bit more straight forward, and is excellent. Two songs from the demo are on Stormking Twilight. There are 13 tracks, a few of which act like intros, outtros or just transitions from one song to another, and about 55 minutes of music on this CD (the CD time says exactly 69:00, but they add a “bonus track” at the end of one of those annoying long blank spots in the last track). The lyrics to some of the songs are in the front booklet. I would recommend getting both the CD and the demo, if you can.

To describe the music of Coma Void is not easy, but some comparisons could really be helpful. While not sounding like any of these bands, I hear the following: Mid-paced to fast, Atheist or Cynic style death metal, but instead of incorporating a lot of jazz in their style, they have some Led Zeppelin, and even more Black Sabbath sounding influences. There are some moments of blistering intensity and some slower, psychedelic passages. Vocals are mostly a harsh, but not growling style, similar to Atheist or Cynic. The drumming is imaginative and all of the musicianship is great. As for songwriting, Coma Void doesn’t plague us with variations on the same songs you have heard hundreds of times before. The song structures are original and enjoyable, and show that they are not interested in trying to be this or that, but rather are just creating music.

My only complaint is the production. It is very bassy, and not clear enough for the number of layers of stuff going on. For the most part the things they add are good, and musically they pull it off, but the production jumbles everything, and sometimes makes it hard to distinguish what the song is doing. It is primarily important be able to hear the music, and then add to that. So the cure would seem to be less stuff or better production. Both of which would have the effect of allowing the music of the songs to be more easily experienced and understood. Listening on headphones with a little adjustment to the tone controls helps bring out the music a lot.

Overall Coma Void is a great band which creates infectious and memorable riffs and songs, and should be checked out by metalheads who are looking for something other than what everyone else is doing.

most of martin's characters are one-dimensional stock characters who tend to overturn their own stereotypes in the most obvious of ways
WTF!!! i've never read something that wrong! i can't racall any other fantasy story where the characters are so rich, multidimensional and develop so much as the story progresses as in 'ASoIaF'. better read the 1st book again, AND all the following ones too...

@topic:

i like quite much some of the bands mentioned here, mainly Verdunkeln, Arcana Coelestia, Arcane Sun, Dolorian, Synaulia and Sceptic

one of my favourite bands, which is brilliant but sadly much overlooked is Madder Mortem

other quite unknown bands i like:

Farsot
Wuthering Heights
Dalriada
The Provenance

Anybody here heard of Zucchero? Great italian rock music, my fav song on the cd we have is X Colpa Da Chi.

Also Necrophagia is cool, I never see anybody talk about them here. They're old as hell.

WTF!!! i've never read something that wrong! i can't racall any other fantasy story where the characters are so rich, multidimensional and develop so much as the story progresses as in 'ASoIaF'. better read the 1st book again, AND all the following ones too...

no country is a Steve Erickson fan... :cool:

@Avrigus: i'm a huge Alchemist fan! phantastic band, highly original and they never released a single bad song

Nearly every artist I listen to hardly anyone I know has heard of, however compared to a lot of the music talked about of these boards I wouldn't say much of the stuff I listen to would necessarily be called "obscure"... You guys must all hang around a totally different social circle than I do to know so many people that know who Peste Noir or Aldramech are or whatever.

In my small social circle Nile are unheard of. Even when they played here live there was only about 250 people at their show, & Orlando is huge city. I only have a couple of friends into metal, & they're more into oldschool stuff. I do have a couple of like minded friends who I can talk music to, but my chances of going out & finding someone with similar taste in music is slim to none.