Your latest G.A.S. purchases

large-Waves_VocalRider.jpg

Just because I can't automate for shite. And I'm lazy.

Sorry! FWIW I haven't been using it any differently to 1.5. Just using the GOGs and mix-matching the sounds. Still defaulting to the same sounds as 1.5 haha. Was hoping the Z5s would sound more like SD2.0's rooms, but sadly they don't.

@Rick: How's the Vocal Rider working out? I read up on GS how the Waves guys stole the idea from an independent developer, but I never heard how well it was pulled off.

I, too, am really curious to hear about VocalRider's performance, I almost bought it last week but decided to get other things instead.

It seems to me like it almost defeats the point, at least to my mixing style. I'm in CLA's boat, where you smash the living crap out of the vocals in order to get all the personality out, and the dynamics in check. After that you automate it to put dynamics BACK IN. To me it seems like the Vocal Rider is more of a transparent compression tool, intended to keep everything at the same level, whereas usually automation (for me anyway) is used to make shit more dynamic. I might have it backwards, but that's how it looks atm.

I just picked up Waves CLA Compressors, and PSP sQuad!!! Those EQ's are really nice! And the compressors just speak for themselves!

It seems to me like it almost defeats the point, at least to my mixing style. I'm in CLA's boat, where you smash the living crap out of the vocals in order to get all the personality out, and the dynamics in check. After that you automate it to put dynamics BACK IN. To me it seems like the Vocal Rider is more of a transparent compression tool, intended to keep everything at the same level, whereas usually automation (for me anyway) is used to make shit more dynamic. I might have it backwards, but that's how it looks atm.

i'm kinda with you on that one. Although I've never tried this technique I may have to give it a whirl. I'm sure its an awesome tool for those who use it and there have been many times when I'm reaching the end of the mix and all thats left is automation and I wish I could just slap a vocal rider on the vox (I usually automate last) but automating the vocals manually is sort of an art I think, and would detract from really tweeking your vocals.

Because higher pitched vocals such as higher screams can sound louder even if they are hitting the same DB level as a lower one, and visa versa. So My question is how does it respond to different frequencies? Does it read the DB level and adjust accordingly or does it attempt to compensate for the frequencies as well?

You should really try it ermz. I've been doing this manually with vocals and bass for years, and it actually makes your compression sound better. You can push things harder and get more tone without worrying about random pumps. My workflow right now is run the plugin (I actually use waverider not this overpriced one), run a ton of compression, then on the volume trim lane I add BACK overall dynamic rides.

Hmm, very interesting, CFH13, so you run it before compression. Any particular reason to not put it after comp?

Running it prior to the comp avoids the aforementioned pump-a-mania. So you get transparent leveling AND the character from the compressor, then you proceed to automate the movement back in normally as you would via your DAW channel fader/automation strip.

Running it prior to the comp avoids the aforementioned pump-a-mania. So you get transparent leveling AND the character from the compressor, then you proceed to automate the movement back in normally as you would via your DAW channel fader/automation strip.

yep exactly. For bass this is really important cause it keeps the lowend nice and level.