Your latest G.A.S. purchases

Grabbed a nice Fender Telecaster for an awesome price :Spin: :

baja1.jpg

he beans on the model of the monitor Ermzy.
A photo with just nothing but the word "Dell" on it is a little non descriptive as to what model it is :lol:

Couldn't refuse. There was an uber discount from Dell here that took it down from $700 to $465, delivered to my house. Couldn't really argue. In case that seems retarded, $465 is a great price for a monitor of this caliber here in Oz.

The RayDAT I'm way more excited about though... especially wondering whether I'm gonna pair it with another ADI-8 AE or just grab a 16 chan Aurora. Really depends how the next few weeks pan out with work.

It's a Dell U2410 - 24" TFT display. Nice choice! I've been loving my Samsung 24" for the year I've had it - not sure if I want to upgrade to a 27" or add another identical to it... :lol:

Haha, I have an LG 24", I really love it... but is it only me but it seems that when I got it the first time it seemed HUGE, now that Im used to it, it just seems normal, but when I see a 27" I feel like now thats big and want it... probably just typical human over-time discontent, nothing is ever enough

567814.jpg

Another converter and a pair of Distressors to follow hopefully not too far into the future.
Call me dumb but I never quite understood how these are supposed to work. I mean where do you plug in your mics, monitors etc. or is there some kind of break-out box/cable or addidtional (rack) unit that goes with these? How many ins/out can they handle and in which form?
(Yes I've checked the website but I still don't get it. Hence you are allowed to call me dumb. :D)

It seems that each card has 2 adat in and 2 adat out, means, 16 channels in, 16 out. the serial looking adapter is for clocking, I think, that Video-Like looking Adapter is unknown to me. So I think, this 2 Cards provide 32 Channels in and 32 Channels out.

Edit: To your first Question.. you need to place some Preamps with AD and DA Chips that have ADAT to it.

Call me dumb but I never quite understood how these are supposed to work. I mean where do you plug in your mics, monitors etc. or is there some kind of break-out box/cable or addidtional (rack) unit that goes with these? How many ins/out can they handle and in which form?
(Yes I've checked the website but I still don't get it. Hence you are allowed to call me dumb. :D)

Unit has no converters, its just a digital input basically, you can connect up various interfaces that you want to use via the ADAT ins and outs that most interfaces will have, and of course they nearly always have their own dedicated pres and converters anyway.

The advantage is that its modular, you can use whatever the hell you want in combination as long as its got an ADAT and the latency is really low because its RME and the drivers are shit hot.

So basically the are just digital inputs/outputs and if you want to use it you have to use external AD/DA, right? Thanks for clarifying that. I think now I get all those fancy internal RME interfaces. They all just provide inputs in various formats (ADAT, MADI, AES).
However I still don't see how they are supposed to be better/faster than an external interface...

Öwen, thanks as well. I was writing my reply while you posted.
As far as monitoring latency goes it's still not going to be as fast (0 ms) like on the 8 analog channels of let's say the Fireface in combination with TotalMix...

Well the bandwidth is presumably larger on PCI or PCI express (in this case) than you would have for your standard firewire interface. That and as aforementioned I'd place a lot of kudos on RMEs drivers as they are really stable and definitely programmed with efficiency in mind.

The only real disadvantage of such setups is they're not really something you can just plug into your laptop go out and record with.

I see. Thanks for taking the time to write all this.

Ermz: I thought you where tracking some place else and only mixing at your place. So are all these inputs just for using outboard in your mixes?

Öwen, thanks as well. I was writing my reply while you posted.
As far as monitoring latency goes it's still not going to be as fast (0 ms) like on the 8 analog channels of let's say the Fireface in combination with TotalMix...

Similar with my last post.

These setups still have zero latency input monitoring in combination with the TotalMix. :)