Your latest G.A.S. purchases

yesterday i came across an interesting product and i thought i should give it a try.
it's a two component guitar polish kit that seems to work very well, even if the guitar/bass has some massive scratches.

credulous as i am i just ordered the deluxe kit and some extra microfiber towels.

it will surely take some time until it arrives here in germany but i'll post the results regardless of whether there wil be satisfying or not...

here's the product homepage http://www.shop.guitarscratchremover.com/ and here's the video that made me buy it! :D

Guitarscratchremover

Yeah dude, you can also do it with some super high grit sandpaper (if necessary) and a couple stages of rubbing compound/machine polish (like the 3m perfect it stuff). After all, those compounds are basically the procedure for finishing a guitar (or car) in the first place. Have done some epic touch ups that way.

Let us know how that stuff works, because the alternatives I just mentioned can get pretty expensive.

lava.jpg

lg_prodi.jpg

I had already posted a while back about buying one of these to replace my broken Countryman Type 85, but it just got here. Thought I'd let you guys know about it in case anyone's interested:

So far, so good! I don't really notice it sounding worse than the Countryman AT ALL. At least not with EMG's

Haven't tried running passives thru it. My bass has passive EMG's, but I intend to swap them out for actives sometime soon, so even if it's not as good with passives, I don't think it's gonna be that big of a deal for me.

For starters, it's actually heavier than the Countryman, even tho it's a bit smaller.

The pad it has on it is WAAAAY more useful >TO ME< than the one on the Countryman since I never really run a full-on amp into it and don't intend to.

So I guess my downgrade wasn't that bad in the end. :)

lg_prodi.jpg

I had already posted a while back about buying one of these to replace my broken Countryman Type 85, but it just got here. Thought I'd let you guys know about it in case anyone's interested:

So far, so good! I don't really notice it sounding worse than the Countryman AT ALL. At least not with EMG's

Haven't tried running passives thru it. My bass has passive EMG's, but I intend to swap them out for actives sometime soon, so even if it's not as good with passives, I don't think it's gonna be that big of a deal for me.

For starters, it's actually heavier than the Countryman, even tho it's a bit smaller.

The pad it has on it is WAAAAY more useful >TO ME< than the one on the Countryman since I never really run a full-on amp into it and don't intend to.

So I guess my downgrade wasn't that bad in the end. :)

I love the ProDI. I've recorded Actives and Passives with it, and both sound fine to me. My two guitars right now are just passives and they sound good. I don't use the pad much as I've found it to be a real tone eater unfortunately. At least to me it sounds like it... it drops the sound by like -30db. lol :loco:

Hahaha yeah.

Seriously, tho, I honestly don't remember how the Countryman handled active pickups in "pickup mode" since I suspect mine's been fucked up for a while, but the -15dB pad on the ProDI does come in quite handy in this scenario. :D

I wonder if the pad affects the input impedance on it...

It's definitely a good unit.

Do the Lavas carry any kind of warranty? Ive been considering an upgrade of my cables. I went all monster back in 01 but the quality has just gone way downhill over the years. Mogami has a similar trade out policy as Monster at guitar center so I was considering going that route. I keep seeing love for the lavas around here but the price is steep if I cant send them back or go to a trade in location when they get funky.

I definitely want to hear a review and some clips.

There are lots of reviews out there already.
2 from my friend Ronan
http://ronansrecordingshow.com/2011/04/knucklehead-percussion-production-tips-and-fethead-review/

http://ronansrecordingshow.com/2012/04/triton-audio-fethead-vs-cloud-microphones-cloudlifter-cl-1/

And we actually reviewed it already on the podcast 2 years ago.
http://www.homerecordingshow.com/20...udio-bigamp-fethead-review-and-using-livecut/

I mean is a 20dB clean boost, it'll sound like the mic is louder. :D
For $89, if you think you need it just get it. The alternative is the Cloudlifter which tends to do slightly better in reviews but it's bigger and heavier and $50 more.

AWWWW, c'mon Dec, thought you were more METAL than that. JK. :p

Does a tele with HB sound closer to a tele with SC or a strat with HB, Maiden style?

BTW, where is the 5153 mini into HB 212 review? :D

Do the Lavas carry any kind of warranty? Ive been considering an upgrade of my cables. I went all monster back in 01 but the quality has just gone way downhill over the years. Mogami has a similar trade out policy as Monster at guitar center so I was considering going that route. I keep seeing love for the lavas around here but the price is steep if I cant send them back or go to a trade in location when they get funky.
http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=87
They carry a lifetime warranty buy you aren't going to get the "just swap it at the store" level monster does. The Lava's honestly sound better though. I just a/b'd the Soar with my old monsters and it was like pulling a blanket off the amp.

- Spare iLok 2 key + ZDT (after my Cubase dongle broke, I realized how bad it was to not have an instant backup plan)
- A pair of Jaspers 80-113-SB stands for my new monitors (who should be there in a few weeks, can't fucking wait)
- 2 Ergotron MX
- Avid MC Transport (Artist Control and Mix will be ordered in a few days/weeks)

AWWWW, c'mon Dec, thought you were more METAL than that. JK. :p

Does a tele with HB sound closer to a tele with SC or a strat with HB, Maiden style?

BTW, where is the 5153 mini into HB 212 review? :D

sounds more what i want in a guitar :p

i think it sounds pretty great!

i havent got the evh yet :(

Last edited by a moderator: