Your latest G.A.S. purchases

I got Vocal Rider after loving Bass Rider and found myself not using it whatsoever. The only real use I can think of for it would be leveling out peaky acoustic guitar tracks or really inconsistently tracked vocals. Bass Rider though..... whooey.

Yeah I bought both together because the price was not too bad through Tony, I think it was almost the same price as vocal rider alone (or something surprising like this, but bass rider alone was way lower in another hand), and thought knowing myself that I would want to try vocal rider later on and buying them separately would be a loss because of that pricing. I'll give it a try.

I wanted to get Ozone 5 and Decapitator but it was hitting my monthly limit, only the rider plugins passed before the credit card was blocked because there were a little headroom left by the scammers :lol:. Damn internet criminals, they limit my GAS.

WAU%20WA12.jpg

FedEX is on its way with this.

I've been looking for a good mic-pre. Have you received this yet? I'm curious to know what you (or others) think of it and if it's any good. $450 seems like an AMAZING price for a good pre. Most of the samples on their site though are for more mellow stuff, and I'm curious to know how it sounds with heavier guitars, bass, vocals, snare, etc. Would you (or others) recommend it? I'm in need of a good (but inexpensive) starter mic-pre. Thanks.

Ok, ok!!! I promise I won't post more purchases. :)

Actually, please do!!!

Seriously, mate, I actually look out for your posts, simply because of your great taste in gear and because of how amazing your studio build thread was... I got to learn a lot, and I feel like I owe you.
You're up there with Lasse, Brett, Ermin and a couple of others.

Oh, and of course, I'm fucking jealous and would kill you instantly to steal your amps...

I've been looking for a good mic-pre. Have you received this yet? I'm curious to know what you (or others) think of it and if it's any good. $450 seems like an AMAZING price for a good pre. Most of the samples on their site though are for more mellow stuff, and I'm curious to know how it sounds with heavier guitars, bass, vocals, snare, etc. Would you (or others) recommend it? I'm in need of a good (but inexpensive) starter mic-pre. Thanks.

I love it so far but my recording space has went through so many changes as of late. I've essentially covered the wall faced when mixing with 3.5 inch roxul except for the live room window. Changed my monitors to Equator D5s, and added the WA12. So things have changed quite a bit so I'm getting that change sorted as well as building a roxul cloud over the drum set and treating the wall directly behind the drum set. I like the mid definition of the WA12 a good bit better than the XMAX preamps in my firepod which work well enough. So far I've used the WA12 on Snare Top w/ Beta57, Distorted Guitar (Green Rhino, Mesa Dual Rec, JCM800B T75s, i5) with impressive results compared to the FP10 pres, and Guitar DI when demoing the bx_rockrack amp sim (It is really good at what it does at least AB'd to Metal Amp Room). The Tone button might be usable in future applications but I've yet to need as much bass response boost as the function creates maybe as bass DI. I've found on most applications I've not needed to have the gain very high at all so I've yet to run into any noise issues. I'll probably be doing some guitar tracking this weekend and will mess with using my R144 and Cascade Fathead and see if that impresses me as much as the i5. I'm hoping so because I like ribbons on amp cabs.

I love it so far but my recording space has went through so many changes as of late. I've essentially covered the wall faced when mixing with 3.5 inch roxul except for the live room window. Changed my monitors to Equator D5s, and added the WA12. So things have changed quite a bit so I'm getting that change sorted as well as building a roxul cloud over the drum set and treating the wall directly behind the drum set. I like the mid definition of the WA12 a good bit better than the XMAX preamps in my firepod which work well enough. So far I've used the WA12 on Snare Top w/ Beta57, Distorted Guitar (Green Rhino, Mesa Dual Rec, JCM800B T75s, i5) with impressive results compared to the FP10 pres, and Guitar DI when demoing the bx_rockrack amp sim (It is really good at what it does at least AB'd to Metal Amp Room). The Tone button might be usable in future applications but I've yet to need as much bass response boost as the function creates maybe as bass DI. I've found on most applications I've not needed to have the gain very high at all so I've yet to run into any noise issues. I'll probably be doing some guitar tracking this weekend and will mess with using my R144 and Cascade Fathead and see if that impresses me as much as the i5. I'm hoping so because I like ribbons on amp cabs.

Thanks for responding so quickly and for the details. I'm really considering purchasing this soon from all of the positive reviews I've read. The preamps in my saffire pro 40 are alright, but they still just seem stale.

Would you mind sharing some high-gain guitar reamps or tracks run through the WA12, please? I'd love to hear some side by side comparisons of the same guitar tracked through just your interface without the additional pre, and then another run through the WA12, and then maybe a 3rd one with the "tone" button engaged on the WA12. Would you mind doing that for me/us so we can all hear how it sounds? You would be doing me a huge favor! :kickass: Thanks, in advance, if you can help. (Mainly interested to hear how it sounds with just a single sm57, since I'm sure that's a mic we're all familiar with.)

Thanks for responding so quickly and for the details. I'm really considering purchasing this soon from all of the positive reviews I've read. The preamps in my saffire pro 40 are alright, but they still just seem stale.

Would you mind sharing some high-gain guitar reamps or tracks run through the WA12, please? I'd love to hear some side by side comparisons of the same guitar tracked through just your interface without the additional pre, and then another run through the WA12, and then maybe a 3rd one with the "tone" button engaged on the WA12. Would you mind doing that for me/us so we can all hear how it sounds? You would be doing me a huge favor! :kickass: Thanks, in advance, if you can help. (Mainly interested to hear how it sounds with just a single sm57, since I'm sure that's a mic we're all familiar with.)

I have an X-Amp so I could do a SM57 reamp test to AB the features vs the XMax pres, but I can't do that until Monday. I work 10 Hour shifts at my day job Wed-Sat and Plan to be doing guitar overdubs all of Sunday for the most part. I got 4 songs to track guitars for and possibly bass as well. I also have the Pyle-Pro and GLS SM57 copies and might do a separate shootout as well. I believe the GLS has ridiculous output like needing a pad on a snare drum.

I have an X-Amp so I could do a SM57 reamp test to AB the features vs the XMax pres, but I can't do that until Monday. I work 10 Hour shifts at my day job Wed-Sat and Plan to be doing guitar overdubs all of Sunday for the most part. I got 4 songs to track guitars for and possibly bass as well. I also have the Pyle-Pro and GLS SM57 copies and might do a separate shootout as well. I believe the GLS has ridiculous output like needing a pad on a snare drum.

Thanks, that'd be great!

Hugo, wtf are those? :lol:
Kirk Hammett signature Jazz III's.

They're green and obnoxious and impossible to lose if you drop them. :lol:

Otherwise, they're just standard nylon Jazz III's with a funny cutout. :p

On a related note: I e-mailed Dunlop some time ago asking them if they sold those separately (I had seen them being sold with a "collector's set" of Kirk Hammett signature picks which are basically 5 green tortex pics in white with stupid monster prints and one of these Jazz III's and a little tin can case for them). They told me "Nope, but they're basically just nylon Jazz III's. We can send you some free samples of those if you'd like."

I said "Ok!"

A couple of weeks later, bam! I get mail from Dunlop. They had sent the tin case with all the sig KH picks, and a sample of pretty much every other Jazz III pick they make (Standard Stiffo, Nylon, XL, Ultex, Ultex 2.0, all the Max Grips, purple Tortex JIII's, Eric Johnson, and I might be missing some) for free!

It was awesome. :D