your lyrics suck..

tatuued said:
Converge, Ion Dissonance, Cryptopsy are not good examples of well written lyrics. Have we entirely boycotted challenging ourselves beyond the riff and just settled on whatever conveyor belt pop-metal yells loudest. Because the lyrics in most metal is about as deep and challenging as any trite pop lyrics.

Step back and compare words with words. Does anything in this genre or any genre or any modern literature for that matter even come close to challenging the esoteric dance of shakespeare's word? Has any music challenged bach? With the history of different levels of societal evolution it might be assumed that we should be by now far above and beyond where we were in those days and light-years ahead of where we stand now. But have lost our place when we became so informal and lazy and have little idea of how to even challenge ourselves. And the few rays of hope most don't even fully recongnize as significant because they're so foreign to us.

You're pretty pretentious.

It is a fucking song, why should it be deep and meaningful? If it sounds pleasant to my ears I will listen.

Shakespeare a poor and hardly well educated man to his late teenage years has a large vocabulary (especially for the time) and a good understanding of Scotland, England, Italy, Spain, Lawyers, Kings, Commoners, Merchants etc in an era when being so well researched would have been difficult. So yeah I guess it would be hard for one modern writer to compete with a group of writers from days yore. (Ooooh controversial).

You are the lazy one though... posting on a messageboard with the aims of either trolling it ("lollolololol" metal isn’t deep you idiots roffle) or whinging (WAH metal isn't deep enough for my massive brain) when you could be out searching for the next great master. Searching bookstores for a great writer or searching record stores for a great musician.

You could be making great art yourself.

Anyways if metal isn't good enough for you just fuck off, it's good enough for me.

Edit

Edited out urban legend.... must research before i post :)

I think that the best lyrics of any genre are found in extreme metal, though there are plenty of extreme metal bands with shitty lyrics (such as all death metal bands with gore lyrics or black metal bands with satanic lyrics). Some extreme metal bands with mostly great lyrics include: Primordial, Mourning Beloveth, The Chasm, Arghoslent, Abyssic Hate, Gorguts (later material), Cultus Sanguine, Forgotten Tomb, Desultory, Pavor.....

Was it pretentious when they started having drum wars in early metal urging eachother to play better and play faster and push themselves beyond what was in being done?

It's not necessary to have a large vocabulary or formal education to be attentive to and calculating with how we use the tools available to us. In guitar someone along the line obviously decided that Smoke on the Water and Iron Man riffs weren't cutting it in the technicality department. So they pushed themselves and urged others to do the same.

No, not lazy. I make my art, and I am always listening for interesting music in as many places as I can think to search. Books? Eh, here and there. Messageboard post? Isn't this where opinions are allowed? It's an available resource. Metal as I see it has a ton of potential especially when you hold it up to other modern musical standards. I only urge us to continue the evolution.

tatuued said:
in the world of extreme metal (though the focus isn.t limited to this genre alone) many of the musicians have obviously honed talent and it.s quite apparent that tons of hours and years of practice were put in to the perfecting of their skills and styles.. but.. almost always the lyrics are p*ss.. across the board.. i mean how many can be said to have an outstanding ways with words without credible doubt or relevant argument .?. many of the players are proven with undeniable evidence to be of tremendous musical talent.. but the writers .?. come on.. if they.re going to demand such excelled and excellent playing for their projects why isn.t there also a demand for high quality of the words being yelled .?. because of course its the vocalists that most are focused on generally speaking.. and it pisses me off.. because as a fan i demand well written words.. and there just isn.t much out there at all.. instrument seminars and music lessons available in every town.. enough to choke the entire human population.. but no ones studying words.. to the ear that listens its obvious that most lyrics are just whipped together with a fraction of time and effort put in to and demanded of the instrumental parts.. in the extreme metal genre the words are obviously often meant to shock (and usually not even a good job of that) barely if ever can these any of these words and phrases be considered advanced or inspiring or profound to any extent.. especially when you hold them up and compare them to the levels of which some have brought themselves to musically.. but i guess the idiot masses are appeased by "f*ck" and "sh*t" and "r*pe" so the writers aren.t going put the same pressure on themselves to put words together with high standards.. but i mean why then even pressure yourself to write good intrumental parts .?. if you.re going to be half-assed do it all the way.. the guitarists and drummers put their time in.. the lyricists need to shut the fuck up for a few years and study literature and language and not be satisfied with first draft highschool level poetry.. the people with minds to discriminate against the mediocre and mundane will notice..
yes very nice indeed:kickass: :Smokin:

Once in awile when listening to a cd will pull out the booklet to read lyrics, lyrics really don't matter unless you can understand them.

I have never thought lyrics sucked because of what someone chooses to talk about. Sure bands that are like FUCK YOU MY DADDY BUTTFUCKS ME are ridiculous. I do not listen to bands like that anyways because their music is simply not good.

Music over lyrics.

tatuued said:
Converge, Ion Dissonance, Cryptopsy are not good examples of well written lyrics. Have we entirely boycotted challenging ourselves beyond the riff and just settled on whatever conveyor belt pop-metal yells loudest. Because the lyrics in most metal is about as deep and challenging as any trite pop lyrics.

I am deeply confused as to how you could term the lyrics of Ion Dissonance and Converge as trite. Have you read them? Or do you just assume that because the singers are shouting that the lyrics must be rubbish?

Both these singers adopt a poetic, metaphor laden, prosaic style with none of the hackneyed 'fuck the system' lyrics that you hear everywhere else.

I'm a little bemused as to what your criteria are in deeming lyrics 'good', as it seems you don't like either cheesy, cliched lyrics, or more abstract, poetic lyrics. Your judgements on lyrical quality seem to be a little arbitrary :erk:
(P.S: I like your hyjacking of my term 'conveyor belt pop'. :rolleyes: )