Your Picks: Most Underrated Maiden Songs

The Vit

METALLY ILL
Dec 12, 2004
San Fernando Valley, CA
Ever had that pleasant experience of stumbling across a song that may have never been played live in concert and certainly is never played on the radio, but that you feel is a great song? I thought it would be fun to see what underrated songs we could conjure up out of the dusty depths of the Maiden archives.

Here are my favorite "underrated" Maiden songs:

To Tame a Land
Childhood's End
The Duelists
Deja Vu

P.S. "Lord of the Flies" would have made my list also, but the song is now disqualified since Maiden surprised the hell out of me and added that to their Dance of Death tour setlist - fabulous friggin' shit! Cool to hear Bruce sing it.

To Tame a Land was played on the Piece of Mind tour.

I remember that especially because Bruce did a little rant how the song was based on the Frank Herbert epic Dune but when he heard this metal band was gonna name a song after his book he said no. The band decided fuck it we will just change the name.

Now you know the rest of the story.

They did that near the end of the show and during the long instrumental section Bruce laid down in the dry ice fog to cool off.

Jim

Thanks for that info. Yeah I figured they played To Tame a Land on the Piece of Mind tour which I regretfully missed. Since To Tame a Land has not been played (to my knowledge) since that tour, it made my list. I've certainly never heard it on the radio - not even satellite. I'll call Bruce and ask that he add it for the next tour - perhaps replacing one of the old standards that could use a rest. : ) :headbang:

RoboCaster said:
The Nomad.

How can anyone not like The Nomad! It's a friggin masterpiece.

That song is what I think, stops BNW from being THE perfect Maiden album. Musically it is amazing but what annoys me about it is the vocals. Especially the, "Nomad, rider of the ancient east. Nomad, rider that men know the least..." bit. I don't like it. The rest of the song is not too bad tho.

Strange World.
It is radically different than anything else on the first CD and Steve really shines on this song.

Maiden never really did another song quite like this one.

Jim

I know the answer to this topic: The MAIDEN songs that MAIDEN, themselves have never played live are:

Alexander The Great
Quest for Fire
Sun and Steel
Gangland
Invaders
Only the Good Die Young
Prodigical Son
Twilight Zone
Women in Uniform cover song
I don't think that Strange World was played live before either.

Now "Purgatory" has been played live before but under a different name of: "Floating".

I know that "Still Life" has been played live.

1. The Prophecy (Not many times, but once in awhile during the 7th Son Tour).
2. Drifter has been played before.
3. Innocent Exile has been played before, but the early rough Gypy's Kiss / Smilier version of the song anyways.
4. Killers title song has been played before.
5. Murders in the Rue Morgue has been played before.
6. The Prisoner has been played before.
7. I think that "The Duellists" has been played before too.

The Vit said:
Ever had that pleasant experience of stumbling across a song that may have never been played live in concert and certainly is never played on the radio, but that you feel is a great song? I thought it would be fun to see what underrated songs we could conjure up out of the dusty depths of the Maiden archives.

Here are my favorite "underrated" Maiden songs:

To Tame a Land
Childhood's End
The Duelists
Deja Vu

I remember Deja Vu being played in the Somewhere In Time tour. I remember because that song sticks out as a song we can all relate to with our own Deja Vu experiences. It's a cool song too.

I didn't mean to entice extensive research on which songs had EVER been played live or not by Maiden, though it's an interesting ssubplot of my initial question which was to ask about "underrated" songs that MAY not have ever been played live - or at least not anytime in recent memory.

Anyways, the feeback of songs such as High Ambition and Nomad reminded me to download the B-Sides album onto my mp3 player - so cool. :headbang:

I've always felt that Tailgunner was underrated. I've always liked that song a lot (love the bass in it) and to me it has ranked up there with Trooper, 2min 2 mid and so on. But, it just doesn't seem to get that air play or visibility. Perhaps the iron ladies will play it soon? I'm no musician, but seems like that would be a blast to play on bass.

MY name is Chris and I am new here, but I think my most underrated one would be from BNW: SILENT PLANET!!