Your Picks: Most Underrated Maiden Songs

Red Shirt said:
I've always felt that Tailgunner was underrated. I've always liked that song a lot (love the bass in it) and to me it has ranked up there with Trooper, 2min 2 mid and so on. But, it just doesn't seem to get that air play or visibility. Perhaps the iron ladies will play it soon? I'm no musician, but seems like that would be a blast to play on bass.

I flirted with Tailgunner for awhile and its fun to play on guitar... its one of those songs that sounds easy but its not quite like that, you have to be able to play it smoothly to make it sound right. To me its sort of a sequel to Aces High because it take a couple of elements from that song.

I have to agree that it was underrated, though when I saw Maiden in 91 during no Prayer on the Road, the place went nuts when they played it. Its a great song to open a set.

I do wish that they had a bit of a more structured format when it came to playing their songs live.... take the most popular songs of course, but also sprinkle in songs from all of their albums, kind of like they did on Rock in Rio.

Also, and this is a bit of a gripe, but Adrian should play Adrian's solos, Janick should play Janick's and Dave should play Dave's. When I first heard Rock in Rio and they had double solos with Janick and Adrian for The Trooper and The Evil That Men Do, I was a little disappointed by that as it felt gimmicky to me.

If the set is balanced out between the eras between Adrian's and Janick's, there is plenty of music to go around.

Rendclaw To-Vensre said:
I do wish that they had a bit of a more structured format when it came to playing their songs live.... take the most popular songs of course, but also sprinkle in songs from all of their albums, kind of like they did on Rock in Rio.

Also, and this is a bit of a gripe, but Adrian should play Adrian's solos, Janick should play Janick's and Dave should play Dave's. When I first heard Rock in Rio and they had double solos with Janick and Adrian for The Trooper and The Evil That Men Do, I was a little disappointed by that as it felt gimmicky to me.

If the set is balanced out between the eras between Adrian's and Janick's, there is plenty of music to go around.

I have to agree with you there, though I have to admit that I do like the doubled solo in The Trooper.

The Vit said:
Ever had that pleasant experience of stumbling across a song that may have never been played live in concert and certainly is never played on the radio, but that you feel is a great song? I thought it would be fun to see what underrated songs we could conjure up out of the dusty depths of the Maiden archives.

Here are my favorite "underrated" Maiden songs:

To Tame a Land
Childhood's End
The Duelists
Deja Vu

P.S. "Lord of the Flies" would have made my list also, but the song is now disqualified since Maiden surprised the hell out of me and added that to their Dance of Death tour setlist - fabulous friggin' shit! Cool to hear Bruce sing it.
I think Maiden never plays this song (To Tame a Land) live or put it as a B side to a single is because it was intended for the 1983 Dune movie, based on Frank Herbert's sci-fi. The director/producers changed their mind ( Sting was in the movie, I think they used him on the sound track ), and I thing Maiden was a bit pissed about it. It's a great song, I'd love to hear it live.

I think Maiden never plays this song (To Tame a Land) live or put it as a B side to a single is because it was intended for the 1983 Dune movie, based on Frank Herbert's sci-fi. The director/producers changed their mind ( Sting was in the movie, I think they used him on the sound track ), and I thing Maiden was a bit pissed about it. It's a great song, I'd love to hear it live.

I posted the story earlier....
"To Tame a Land was played on the Piece of Mind tour.

I remember that especially because Bruce did a little rant how the song was based on the Frank Herbert epic Dune but when he heard this metal band was gonna name a song after his book he said no. The band decided fuck it we will just change the name.

Now you know the rest of the story.

They did that near the end of the show and during the long instrumental section Bruce laid down in the dry ice fog to cool off."

Jim