Your planned CD purchases this year

korruption

Amateur Dentist
May 13, 2002
Canada
:popcorn:
So umm... I'll kick this off with a few choices with opinions based on what I know so far.

FEAR FACTORY - The Industrialist

After the lightning strike to the dick that was "Mechanize," I can't help but salivate over eventually hearing this next concept album.

DRAGONFORCE - The Power Within
And I was expecting "So Far Away (So Far Away Pt. 1: The So Far Away Saga)" to be the title... I'm not exactly ecstatic about buying this one but I do still intend to do so. I really like Marc Hudson's vocals based on what little I've heard.

It's just too bad they have garnered such a brainless following. I hope everyone here knows that whenever there's a Dragonforce video on YouTube, staying the fuck away from the comments is essential.

JEFF SCOTT SOTO - Damage Control
Ok this one right now is a maybe at best. Some great stuff, some boring stuff. I just discovered some samples (scroll down to find them)--along with the album itself--a while ago but I think it's worth looking into.

Pyramaze didn't make the list cause it goes without saying. :D

Haven't really thought about that... Sabaton sounds good, but I hope they'll explore a bit new territory, otherwise it might turn out a bit boring...

Hm... I hope the new Trail of Murder album will be released soon. Dark Empire's "From Refuge To Ruin" could be interesting even though I don't really like the vocals of the new singer, but the music is great.

Hey Red,

Sabaton is taking a bit of a different direction conceptually. Traditionally they've sung about historical battles and military events. With Caralous Rex they are basing the album around King Charles XIII who ruled Sweden in the 15th Century and the album will deal with Sweden's history vs world history. Also for the first time Sabaton will record the album in both English and Swedish. They have also recorded a cover of "feuer frei" by Rammstein, sung entirely in German by Joakim.

^
My interest in Sabaton is now in full throttle!

I will say as much as I like epic metal...the band seems to force it too much. I wish they would loosen up and let thier metal flow...cause they sure have the goods

It was a pretty damned good and solid album. I really enjoyed the first 6 tracks (this is what Framing Armageddon/Crucible of Man SHOULD HAVE been like!) continuing/finalizing the Something Wicked storyline while leaving it possible to continue down the road (The End?) and I love the change up in tempo and rhythm in the second half.

I find myself quickly loving the songs that Stu is writing lyrics for and how he seems to have found his vocal groove. On Dystopia he sounded like he was trying too hard to mimic Matt and Tim's styles but on Plagues he sounds more relaxed and comfortable; he's proven he is a worthy successor to two of the greatest vocalists of the power metal genre.

Highwayman is a brilliant and fantastic way to end the album, as anyone who has followed Iced Earth since Stu's joining the band, is no doubt aware of the band's relationship with Michael Poulsen (Volbeat), who the band also toured with and brought along as a surprise in 2011, and Russel Allen who the band toured with in 2011 as well. Perfect cover song. Perfect end to the album and and lengthy touring cycle.

The only negative thing that I have to say about Plagues has to do with the inclusion of Spirit of the Times. I speaks volumes to the ego of Jon Schaffer to include a COVER of HIS OWN SONG on another one of his bands releases. Its like those Black Sabbath tribute albums where half the songs feature Ozzy essentially doing tributes to HIMSELF. What the FUCK??? The inclusion of that track was a massive FAUX PAS in my opinion and should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Other than that Plagues of Babylon was a fantastic follow up to Dystopia full of atmosphere, great tempos, great lyrics, great vocals, a great metalized cover of a classic 70's country song and solid solid performances from all band members.

I don't know how the fuck I forgot to mention The Arcane Order - Cult of None! I shall now proceed to slap myself repeatedly. :(

I think (Symphony?) X - Underworld might be worth looking into. It comes out sometime in July but sadly there's no teaser or samples of it yet.

I'm intrigued, but not hugely optimistic. Ever since they released their "Paradise Lost" Pantera tribute album, and the Fear Factory ripoff "Iconoclast", I've fallen off the wagon, despite my best efforts to stay on it ("hit the switch, you son of a bitch!"? *falls off*). I wish they'd bring Thomas Miller back. It seems to me that he was their secret weapon in their prime days... Oh and please, no more of that "shore to shore" shit!! :yell:

Now that that's off my back, I'm nonetheless looking forward to how this album turns out. Even if I don't much care for how they changed up their style. I've already blindly purchased the latest Arena album, so it can only go up from there... :yuk:

Edit: Heard 'Nevermore'... I will not be purchasing this album.