Your thoughts on the new album

OK. i'm I right now to talk about the album? I'm like A49ER08, for me it is close to the best they made! I'm still asking in myself if it is better than Swamplord or The Black Waltz, my two favorires... Sure I love it. And they play live the one I prefer!

Last edited by a moderator:
My Jap version of SS arrived yesterday. Bonus track is a Kiss cover Cold Gin. It's really not too good, twice as fast as the original, but really not fast enough to be completely Kalmahised!
Pekka's attempt at clean vocals is not good.

man, It's very hard for me to decide which is my favorite Kalmah album.

Many of you have discussed that The Black Waltz is your favorite, and as much as I really like that album and specifically find that one song on that album maybe Kalmah's greatest... I don't think TBW is my favorite lol.

I think this new album may be my favorite, because EVERY song on this album is compelling, powerful and worth listening to.

good topic of discussion, though. Would like to hear the rest of your guy's thoughts.

I felt like this album was a step in the right direction for me, personally. It definitely feels more like the first 3 albums combined a bit with thrash (They Will Return is personally my favorite album, as I feel it exemplifies Kalmah the best--awesome, epic catchy melodies with heavy ass thrash riffs and blast beats and mind-melting solos, while still maintaining an air of emotion and depth), but I don't think it was as good as 12 Gauge, which I actually really liked. For me, my least favorite album is FTR, just because it only has 2 songs that I actually like (the cover song and Wings of Blackening, which I happen to think is a badass, really under-appreciated song), but despite the fact that 12 Gauge was really thrashy and far less melodic (and I normally don't care so much for thrash, especially when compared to melodies and such) there were a lot of really epic, awesome, catchy songs that had the high energy and catchiness that I love Kalmah for. Songs like One of Fail, Hook the Monster, and a few others are really good.

For me, this album is definitely more to my liking as a whole than the last two were--but even though I like the style more than I do on 12 Gauge, I don't like as many songs as much as I did on 12 Gauge. The only two tracks on this song that I really love are Seventh Swamphony and Black Marten's Trace. I ESPECIALLY love the latter...really great stuff. But other than that I wasn't completely blown away. I liked Pikemaster enough...I like bits of Wolves on the Throne (the intro is by far the best part, phenomenally epic and beautiful melody) and The Trapper is probably one of my favorite slower Kalmah songs (not as much as Moon of my Nights, which actually might secretly be my favorite Kalmah song :p) but it's still catchy and epic and all of that stuff. Songs like Deadfall and Windlake Tale are some of the worst Kalmah songs that I've ever heard--especially Windlake Tale. Deadfall sounds like it belongs on a new CoB album (I know that sounds harsh, but I thought it was really dry, boring and generic--just like new CoB) and Windlake Tale was also incredibly boring and generic sounding (although it wasn't as poppy sounding as Deadfall, but there are a few riffs in Deadfall that I really like, whereas Windlake Tale I think might be the 2nd worst Kalmah song that I've ever heard, right after Better Not To Tell).

Overally, IMO, I'd probably give it an 8/10. I would have given FTR a 7.5 or a 7.0/10 and 12 Gauge an 8 or an 8.5 (probably something like 8.2 or 8.3) /10. Great stuff, Kalmah, and I hope that in the future you guys continue this musical transition back to your melodic roots and come to New York soon! I'm getting sick of travelling up to Canada to see you guys live :p

I found the new album a very good material. Kalmah managed to amaze me in the sense that I like all their albums, I wouldn't be able to point out a best or worst among them. Keeping this up for 7 albums is quite an achievement IMO. Deadfall, Pikemaster, Black Marten's Trace are what I currently like the most on this one.

Slightly off-topic:

Question: does anyone (Kalmah dudes are welcome to answer :)) know what "Hollo" means in the song's context? I couldn't figure out if it was in English, Finnish or Karjalan. The word means "raven" in my native Hungarian but despite the common opinion that it's related to Finnish I doubt the meaning would be the same given the lyrics of the song.

Even more OT, I apologize:

Question 2: is there any chance of the band coming to Ireland (where I live) or Hungary (where I'm from) in the near future? They don't seem to be venturing too far from Finland ever too often and I really don't understand why. Well, except Canada. Maybe they only like such weather? :)

I would suggest you visit Finland - it is worth the money! And they usually play on festivals so you get to listen to some good metal. Finns are the most hospitable nation I know (and I've visited a few) and if you search sites like couchsurfing or hospitality club you WILL find eager hosts, who can on the occasion, show you a bit of their AMAZING culture. And you might get to go to saunas every day (or every other).

I've just bought it. Kalmah guys are still doing good :d I love this album. I think it will become my favourite one :)

Wolves on the Throne is great. The rest of the album is just so so. It just doesn't have the classic Kalmah melodies that made their first four albums so great. Unfortunately this has been the case with the last couple releases. I still like the vocals and the drumming is great. But the melodies used to be so much more.....awesome :)

I

Question 2: is there any chance of the band coming to Ireland (where I live) or Hungary (where I'm from) in the near future? They don't seem to be venturing too far from Finland ever too often and I really don't understand why. Well, except Canada. Maybe they only like such weather? :)

It's really not up to Kalmah where they tour.
If you live in Ireland, then it's up to a promoter from Ireland, to book gigs and then offer them to the band to play.