Your very *favourite* metal production?

If I had to pick one, it'd be Opeth's Blackwater Park. Sure the sounds are a little dated and every instrument isn't absolutely perfect to my ears (as Nightwish's) but the songs are communicated SO well...

Just felt the need to say ... brilliant music is never dated sounding, its timeless

Probably one of my all time most hated expressions. Not jumping on your shit or anything, just I've known people that would say that about bands and music because they were always more concerned about what was new or trendy.

Of course bands can put a timeframe stamp on their music, with the lyrics or maybe even with a production style, but the music itself, the songs if they are really done with conviction and honesty can never be dated

"This spells out freedom it means nothing to me, as long as there's a PMRC!"

Yup, still holds up :headbang:

Cheers!

Wow, this thread grew faster than I expected. Thank you all for responding in such detail! To all you who couldn't pick a single album... stop being pussies and pick one :). That's the whole challenge of this. Anyone can just open up itunes or look at their CD rack and start typing down album titles...

It's amazing to see how diverse the opinions are. I was hoping for at least some sort of consensus, it's bizarre. It's also interesting to see some picks that I don't consider to be very good mixes at all. Just outlines the subjectivity of this whole thing!

Have to go with:

1) Arch Enemy "Doomsday Machine". PERFECT drums. Awesome guitar sounds. Classic Sneap perfection.
2) Masterplan "Aeronautics". Although not pure Sneap, you still hear his involvment. GREAT guitar sound. And Jorn on vocals. 'Nuff said.
3) Scar Symmetry "Holographic Universe". I have to admit I'd never heard them until people talked about this on the forum. Holy crap. This is one of the most perfect productions I've heard to date.

Edit: Okay, so I won't be a pussy...I have to go with "Holographic Universe" (at least for now :) ). It's set a new standard for me to shoot for with my own musical projects.

^ I definitely agree most with you! Doomsday Machine and Holographic Universe are up there as my two most 'technically perfect'. I love using Doomsday Machine to roughly tune PAs when doing live work. I think Doomsday Machine is the best work Andy has done. Nothing since has really struck me as much.

It's more hard rock than metal but....King's X - Dogman.

Amazing drum room sounds, crushing bass, Ty Tabor at his heaviest, and dryer than dry vocals and dudes who can just flat-out write great tunes.

I want to know what all y'all's very fave metal production sounds are. The catch is you can only pick *one* album. No runner up, no 2nd place, no ties... just ONE each.

Also, if you can give a reason as to why.

Mine:

In Flames - Clayman

Reason: Never heard bass mixed like this on a metal record. It ends up being oriented primarily around the subs, rather than the mid-bass as most albums are these days. Fuck the people running computer speakers I say.. put the bass where it belongs.

Also, the album is just one of the most solid sounding. The guitars sound great in context of the mix (not so great alone, as you can hear at the start of 'Suburban Me'). The drums sound relatively natural and you can pick a bit of that room ambiance. The snare is particularly bouncy like the latest Scar Symmetry, which I love about rock/metal snares. Overall it just doesn't have that too-polished sound that every sample-heavy bedroom producer does these days. It's almost at that perfect point between technical precision and still maintaining some rawness and semblance of the band's identity.

Your turn!

:headbang: My CURRENT fav!!!! keep comin back to this puppy

parkway drive horizons is pretty tight aswell

It's more hard rock than metal but....King's X - Dogman.

Amazing drum room sounds, crushing bass, Ty Tabor at his heaviest, and dryer than dry vocals and dudes who can just flat-out write great tunes.

Funny how everyone's taste differs. I was a huge King's X fan (probably because they're from around here...still see Doug at a Guitar Center from time to time)...until Dogman. I loved their 1st, 2nd, and 4th albums. But Dogman was just too much of a departure from the sound that I originally loved. Still though, a great band.

Sorry to get OT here. I'm not trying to knock anyone's favorite at all, we all have different tastes. But I'm just curious, since so many people here prefer Dogman...what is it about it that you like so much? Maybe I can learn to appreciate it more. I haven't put it in the CD player in years. I'm not saying I hate it...not at all. I just prefer their more polished sounds and song writing styles on especially their 1st two albums. But I know I'm a little biased because of fond memories of that time when King's X first album came out. It made me try to get a job at Rampart Studios here in Houston. :)

...what is it about it that you like so much? Maybe I can learn to appreciate it more. I haven't put it in the CD player in years.

That would be a good starting point ... break it out and experience it with fresh ears

The grooves, the overall sound, light and fluffy harmonies that still have attitude and edge to their sound, and with all of that an absolutely solid wall of sound to the guitars & bass ... forceful and powerful without ever going overboard

just my take on it

Cheers!

I think I'm the first, but the Black Album obviously has some serious production skills backing it up. That has really shaped much of today's metal bands, at least in terms of what they want their CD's to sound like.

What do I like best? The drum sound really raised the bar for me, in terms of really polished "larger than life" sounds. There is also a cool ambiance backing the drums up (due to all those room mics they used). The bass also sounds absolutely thunderous.

Amorphis - Eclipse

I'm not really sure why, everything in it seems to fit so well to my ears. Lots of bands with keyboards in the synth shit always seems to be either too loud or too quiet on my speakers but this album is fine. Probably a bit biased as it's one of my favourite albums but oh well.

As so many people have mentioned more than one album I'll also add The Jester Race. I fucking love the lead guitar tone and the raw kinda sound the album has works so well with the music imo.

After my first try to choose just one I was going to surrender and not post anything, because there just isn't one that I would consider the "perfect" or "most perfect" production.
Some of them are incredibly punchy and articulate, others are a massive wall of sound that sounds larger than life but sacrifice some clarity in the way, and some are not all that big but fit the music incredibly well and create the perfect atmosphere. Then there may be a great sound that is just squashed a bit too much.

Now as to not be a pussy I took an hour and compared my favourite productions, in the end I chose Testament - The Formation of Damnation.
Which actually was kind of a surprise for myself because generally I don't consider Andy Sneap my favourite producer. :D
But I chose it because it "scored the most points"... the overall balance is so nice, there is plenty of pleasing-sounding highend in the mix, the drums not only sound great but have real punch, and the production fits the music totally. A big part however might also be that the PERFORMANCE on this record is awesome, by all players.

So in this case it's the whole picture that works together, even if other productions might be superior in CERTAIN parts.

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

Its fat when its supposed to be, raw when its supposed to be, smooth when its supposed to be, and everything is just sooo f*cking clearsounding its insane.
Just listen to Hollow, the sparkle on the guitars, the warmth to the drums and bass, Phils voice and the perfect mixing.
Its just impossible to list everything that is perfect about this record, but to try to explain it: Everything is really clean and has its own place in the mix, without interupting the other instruments.