Your very *favourite* metal production?

One of the productions that has always struck a chord with me is Jacob Hansens production of JEEL and specifically the song "It's like Rust".

I dunno. Always struck me as a great mix overall.

For overall mixes I would say Ark - burn the sun, and Katatonia - great cold distance. Every Pain of Salvation cd sounds different but I love the way they are all mixed and done. I also gotta mention Lost Horizon - awakening the world, it is so much in your face and just kicks you right in the ass. Also, how can you forget how good Immortal - sons of northern darkness, sounds. Then of course Diabolical Masqeurade - death's design, and Edge of Sanity - crimson II.

I would say my favorite recording ever though is Vintersorg - visions from the spiral generator. I love the mix of the drums and the sound of the drums, the vocal harmonies and layering is perfect, the bass stands out just like it needs to, and the guitar is just right. Before that cd came along my fav was always Nevermore - dead heart in a dead world.

Soilwork's 'Stabbing The Drama' cause it makes about every other album's production sound boring. Haha. Very interesting mix and tones on that album. Good songs too, imo.

lamb of god sacrament

oh also, i guess you can call it hard rock but any randy staub mixed metallica. i mean yeah there is the black album but the powerful "thunder" drums of garage inc. cd 1 always left the biggest impression on me of powerful drums. songs like turn the page and sabbra cadabra along with basically all the songs on that cd are out of this world. i've yet to hear punchier, fatter, and more powerful drums, ever.

As a side note.. I don't really understand people liking the production of say Ghost Reveries, or Great Cold Distance.. everything sounds way too controlled and in fact the mix of Ghost Reveries put me off listening to the album (even though I had it) for about 6 months until I finally forced myself to get over the mix and into the songs. I much prefer a mix like Watershed, or From Mars to Sirius, where it sounds like you're in the room with the band, standing next to the drumkit. Much more immersing.

It surprises me seeing you say that. I always thought Ghost Reveries was quite a natural sounding mix to my ears, especially when compared to Deliverence.

I still can't get into Deliverance. The only song I have on my iPod is A Fair Judgement. Not sure if its the songs or the mix :/

Borknagar and Opeth produce the best to my ears, especially ghost reveries (second favourite clean guitar solo is in hours of wealth) and watershed for opeth, and Bork just keeps getting better and better!

Favourite over all though has to go to far beyond driven. Nothing I've heard is heavier. Also has my actual favourite clean guitar solo on it!

Boy, 'Stabbing the Drama' is mastered way too loud! The only album I can compare to off hand at the moment production-wise is Clayman! Holographic Universe and other albums seem to sound hollow and small in comparison... I'm sure it has a bit to do with the sizable level difference in the masters too. Amazing that 'Clayman' competes, being so much quieter... I suppose the benefit of that is there are transients left!

Gorefest-La Muerte - awesome guitar sound, fantastic sounding drums
Testament-The Gathering - for its awesome sounding drums...

I'm pretty sure just about everyone on this forum would hate this album or not know it (because it's so anti black metal for some reason) but:

Gehenna - First Spell EP

Not exactly produced, but it's far from squashed with with an average level of -17dbfs. It has sexy smooth dynamics, dark guitars, no drum samples and everything just sleezes together in the mix perfectly with soft transients. Yet it still retains a somber and agressive overall mood. And great church organs and vocals. But i guess if i had to pick something that was produced more then i'd go for Dying Fetus - destroy the opposition, something about that production gets me going.

Necrophagist - Epitaph

2nd runner up - All That Remains - This Darkened Heart (this band kind of sucks but the recording (Adam D)kills)

I'm really starting to get what you guys mean about 'Stabbing the Drama'. Every of my other reference albums sounds like a piece of crap when I play it after this! Unreal... gotta keep listening. Gonna check out some other picks listed in this thread.

Both Clayman and Stabbing the Drama share somewhat the same idea during mixing...
ultra deep subbass that is not too overpowering + some suble synth work for that extra fatness and of course supertight playing...

Vocals: newest Soilwork, newest Testament.
Guitars: newest Daylight Dies, newest Meshuggah.
Bass: Porcupine Tree's Deadwing, The Haunted's The Dead Eye.
Drums: newest Testament, newest Behemoth.
Overall: newest Opeth, Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet.

Jeff