Youtube thread

:lol: I've seen that guy in concert and described it on other forums.
a sort of working class outsider poet who yells rhymes over bluesy/jazzy rock. The gig was at a theatre on the island where he's based, so it had the added adventure of a 40 minute ferry trip plus 20 minute walk to get there. It was billed as 'Dance Party' and they were handing out glow sticks at the door. Sadly hardly anyone turned up. During the bizarre performance we spent some time hitting a balloon thing around. He had no mic and just played wildly with a guitar that was barely turned up, making crazy stances etc. His backing band of just guitar and drums carried most of the weight. The DJ who played tunes between sets stayed on stage to play the guy's vocals from backing tracks. One of the best times I've ever had, basically.

Unparalleled stance:

ysVSVIQ.jpg

Me still dedicated to enjoying it while the 2 friends I attended with chilled out for a bit:

Gluttons - Shay's photo.jpg

a while back i made a list of tyson's fights worth watching, didn't end up finishing it yet but i listed them up to douglas. you'll probably get a kick out of going through these in order if you haven't done it before, really get a feel for the rise and fall. not as big of a time commitment as you'd think 'cause most of them don't last 5 minutes :lol:

An Iron Man Emerges, The Hype Begins...
1) 3/85 Tyson vs. Mercedes (first pro fight - no commentary)
2) 4/85 Tyson vs. Singleton (that moment when they take the first tyson punch...)
4) 6/85 Tyson vs. Spain (and you see in their eyes...)
7) 8/85 Tyson vs. Canady ('...oh crap.')
8) 9/85 Tyson vs. Johnson (jaw and rib broken. terrifying.)
9) 10/85 Tyson vs. Long (supposed to be the first real test. 'i think i can outbox tyson...')
10) 10/85 Tyson vs. Colay (the fastest of his knockouts pre-frazier)
11) 11/85 Tyson vs. Benjamin ("did he hit me with a sledgehammer or somethin'?!")

Rise to Stardom, & The First Signs of Trouble?
12) 11/85 Tyson vs. Richardson (first fight after trainer and mentor cus d'amato's death - an event often cited as the root of later problems)
14) 11/85 Tyson vs. Scaff ("i think there might even be a tear on the side of that nose")
15) 12/85 Tyson vs. Young (*gets punched* *shits self* *quits*)
16) 1/86 Tyson vs. Jaco (just watch mike's head move.)
17) 1/86 Tyson vs. Jameson (sternest test so far, though that's not saying much)
18) 2/86 Tyson vs. Ferguson (first nationally televised fight.)
19) 3/86 Tyson vs. Zouski (tyson's first mention of 'personal problems' hampering his performance)
20) 5/86 Tyson vs. Tillis (first opponent to last the distance. first tyson performance deemed disappointing by the media.)
22) 6/86 Tyson vs. Gross (BOOM)
24) 7/86 Tyson vs. Boyd ("is there a way to beat mike tyson?" "a .357 magnum?")
25) 7/86 Tyson vs. M. Frazier (versus the son of the legend, smokin' joe, to whom tyson was most often compared. don't blink.)
27) 9/86 Tyson vs. Ratliff (first fight against an ex-world champion, albeit at a lesser weight.)

Title Bouts
WBC HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE FIGHT 11/86 Tyson vs. Berbick (and so it begins. tyson entered this fight with a record of 27-0, with 25 knockouts. "most people in boxing say the only person who can beat mike tyson is mike tyson himself. that remains to be seen...")

WBA HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE FIGHT 3/87 Tyson vs. Smith (awful fight, not worth watching in its entirety, but interesting for how tyson seems a lot more aggressive and frustrated than usual. watch the end of the first couple rounds for examples)

WBC + WBA HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE DEFENSE 5/87 Tyson vs. Thomas (again not particularly interesting, aside from a pretty brutal 6th round knockout)

IBF HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE FIGHT 8/87 Tyson vs. Tucker (the 31st fight in tyson's career was the first to be both entertaining and *gasp* competitive, giving iron mike a real work out and plenty to think about)

UNDISPUTED HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE DEFENSE10/87 Tyson vs. Biggs (the first round promised to finally test tyson with a real crafty boxer, dancing around the ring with superior lateral movement, flicking jabs to impose his superior reach. then, um.... he stopped doing that, seemingly not so much due to tyson's body pressure as his own lack of focus and commitment. the rest is a yawnfest. "they say tyson is predictable, but so is a hurricane. what can you do about it?")

UNDISPUTED HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE DEFENSE 1/88 Tyson vs. Holmes ("the king is dead; long live the new king")

UNDISPUTED HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE DEFENSE 3/88 Tyson vs. Tubbs (lots of racism fun in the preview. evil robin givens makes her first appearance. nice whale joke from larry.)

UNDISPUTED HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE DEFENSE 6/88 Tyson vs. Spinks (tyson's most dismissive and effortless annihilation of a top opponent, legendary walk-on and performance)

UNDISPUTED HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE DEFENSE 2/89 Tyson vs. Bruno (no more rooney in his corner; many consider his firing the beginning of the end for tyson. fun fight, this. ballsy performance by my compatriot.)

UNDISPUTED HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE DEFENSE 7/89 Tyson vs. Williams (the post-fight interview speaks volumes. pride comes before a fall....)

UNDISPUTED HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE DEFENSE 2/90 Tyson vs. Douglas (this one needs no introduction... although this post-fight dual interview is essential viewing)