YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

Clark, you are a god. This is a great technique! I can't tell you how much fun I've been having with it. :cool:

Here are a couple of things that may help others.

1. For the sine sweep from Voxengo, I reduced it by -18dB and saved that to a new file. Voxengo makes a 0dB sweep by default, which can clip when you run it through the EQ without reducing the level.

2. Based on that -18dB sweep, I made a separate sweep file from it that has 1 second of silence at the end. This way I don't need to add the silence manually each time.

So the matching EQ sweep output is made from the "-18dB with silence added" sweep input. Then in Voxengo the original "-18dB without silence added" sweep is used as the reference sweep. Same as what you are doing, but it saves a couple of steps in the workflow.

I'm confused by something though. I tried bypassing all the sweeps and Voxengo by putting an impulse directly into the EQ. That's a wav file with the first sample at max value (0dB) followed by all silence. In theory it should work. The frequency response looks overall the same, except everything is stretched in gain. Peaks are higher and dips are lower. But otherwise the shape is the same. If this worked it would be convenient because the impulse can be made straight from 1 file without the deconvolver. Not sure what's going on with it otherwise. Hmm..

Great method and I'm getting good results!

I still have yet to get this to work right. Every single tone I try to replicate comes out with way too much low end. Its like my low end isnt tight at all. I have tried soo many different guitar tones, using all 4 of my guitars, and using every DAW I own. I even bought a new DI box but still the tone comes out like shit.

All I want is the Parkway Drive Horizons record tone and I will be happy, but it Just cant have it :(

So seriously, I will be willing to pay someone to tone match me the Parkway Drive Horizons tone. Any takers???

@deffpony ^
even if you pay someone to do it, its not gonna sound close enough.
They will need your fingers, skill, guitar(& pickup), sound interface, cable and all that to get it to match correctly.

@deffpony ^
even if you pay someone to do it, its not gonna sound close enough.
They will need your fingers, skill, guitar(& pickup), sound interface, cable and all that to get it to match correctly.

I can send my reamped raw tracks accompanied by the original riff I am trying to emulate.

I have yet to try it out, but would match eq-ing DIs work ?

I just matched Ola's original DI's from the EVH5150 III recording.
First clip is the EQ-match, second the original.

I love this thing! :D
Thanks for the tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone do Periphery´s new album tone? And with lepou´s sims? I think that´s maybe the best rhythm tone I´ve ever heard. Thanks a lot!

That's the Periphery II tone. Doesn't really work for these higher tunings though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried this method in the past and it is pretty much useless on most situations. You see what matching EQ does is to basically replicate the knobs of the specific amp the original guitarist used. If you scream on a mic and play a pinch harmonic they might show up as similar on an EQ but matching them wont make you sound like a guitar. I'd use the matching feature only for learning purposes.

I've tried this method in the past and it is pretty much useless on most situations. You see what matching EQ does is to basically replicate the knobs of the specific amp the original guitarist used. If you scream on a mic and play a pinch harmonic they might show up as similar on an EQ but matching them wont make you sound like a guitar. I'd use the matching feature only for learning purposes.

So... are you willing to take an A/B test blind folded and bet $100 on you guessing which one was correct? :D

So... are you willing to take an A/B test blind folded and bet $100 on you guessing which one was correct? :D

Who knows...I hope to be proven wrong cause that will save us lots of cash. (except for that bet ofc :)) What I actually wanted to say though is that EQ is not the only thing and you have to at least be in the ballpark to get good results.

Just a question...I see the guy in the video setting matching 100% and smoothing to 0%. That usually results in a EQ curve that's jagged as f*ck. I thought that this was generally something we always tried to avoid and would probably sound unnatural... :guh:

I see the guy in the video setting matching 100% and smoothing to 0%. That usually results in a EQ curve that's jagged as f*ck. I thought that this was generally something we always tried to avoid and would probably sound unnatural... :guh:

That guy is CLARK KENT and the reason why he is matching 100% with 0% smooth is to be able to capture the tone 100%, absolutely matching every "jagged" peak.