10 essential death metal albums I MUST own!

High On Maiden said:
yep, I've heard The Haunted. Not bad, but since creating this thread I've decided I'm after the more brutal stuff to the melodic stuff.

:D
Retch, Brodequin, Disgorge (Cal), Prophecy (Texan), Prostitute Disfigurement, Enmity, Foetopsy, Cinerary, Devourment, Malignancy, Sect of Execration, Severed Remains, Putrid Pile, Decrepit Bird.

Ok, just a small sample list of some (for the most part) extremely brutal bands, keep it for future reference. Sorry, I couldn't help it.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Decrepit Bird? :lol: Is that real? What kind of evil, brutal name is that? :lol: That's the worst name ever!
Actually, that's the only band in my list I know very little about. A friend of mine (he plays in a band called Achromasia) played it for me and it was just sheer mess and brutality. He told me they were called Decrepit Bird, I hope he wasn't pulling my leg. I did nearly wet my pants when I heard the name, mind you. Will try to borrow the whole CD from him when I get a chance. :p

High On Maiden said:
P.S. I think what 'populated by the fathomless' was implying is that supernal music takes ages to deliver orders.

Does anyone esle know if this is the case? :(

Their site said usually within 1-2 days (for the UK)

Don’t worry mate i use them a lot and there delivery times are pretty fast my stuff normally arrives within a few days you might wait slightly longer if the stuff your after isn’t in stock though.

Ive just ordered these today from them:

Anata - The Infernal Depths of Hatred
Vehemence - God was Created

Must be all the Death Metal threads ive been reading of late :p

High On Maiden said:
OK, I just ordered 3 albums from www.supernalmusic.co.uk - it's uK based, so free postage for me, and they're only about 10 quid each...

Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Suffocation - Despise the Sun (would have gone for 'pierced from within' but it wasn't in stock)

That was as much as my financial situation would allow!

Have I made a good choice?
Why dont you download some samples and check for yourself you worthless newbie shit?

Naggamanteh said:
Actually, that's the only band in my list I know very little about. A friend of mine (he plays in a band called Achromasia) played it for me and it was just sheer mess and brutality. He told me they were called Decrepit Bird, I hope he wasn't pulling my leg. I did nearly wet my pants when I heard the name, mind you. Will try to borrow the whole CD from him when I get a chance. :p
Just goes to show that you're just listing any bands that are only brutal for brutality's sake..... What's the point? There is none.

SculptedCold said:
Just goes to show that you're just listing any bands that are only brutal for brutality's sake..... What's the point? There is none.
The point? I like that kind of music in certain moods. I don't do it to be badass or anything. Some people like melody, some other like speed and brutality. I fell in love with Brodequin when I first heard it, they (and Cryptopsy) intoduced me to this kind of music. Also, if you take a closer look at my list, I like it brutal AND technical too. I don't listen to grindcore. I also listen to completely different kinds of music (some black metal, classical music, dark ambient, "dark metal", etc), so it's not just brutality for me. It all depends on my mood.

Reactions: Stormwatch
Thanks biozombie_uk - it's good to hear that reassurance from another customer.

This is the first time I've used this site (or any online metal mailorder), so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Well I just got the three CDs I ordered from Supernal Music this morning. Very good service - they basically came the next day (I ordered on Sunday, but they won't have seen it until Monday).

So far I have listened to Black Seeds of Vengeance and None So Vile. Despise the Sun is waiting for me at home!

None So Vile - it's an awesome album! It's so technical and yet brutal that it's quite hard to take in the entire album all in one go! It's INSANE, but I love it, and I expect I will grow to appreciate it even more with more listens.

Black Seeds... - I LOVE it! I just LOVE IT! It's got an amazing atmosphere, and they'v captured the Egyptian theme perfectly. It's so INTERESTING to listen to, and again, I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more after some more listens.

I love the subject matter as well - it makes a change from all this satanist stuff or gore stuff that many bands do. The lyrics are great, and it's really interesting to read in the booklet what each song is based on.

I don't yet know what Despise the Sun will be like, but even if I didn't like it (which I know wont be the case) then I'd still be very pleased with the overall purchase based on these other two albums!

Me happy!

\m/

Heh, you're lucky man. Supernal have buggered me more than I'm wiling to stand so I never ever order anything from their. There's better cheaper places. The longest I've had to wait it just over a month for my 4th CD to come. i made an order of 4 CD's and got them periodically. I heard the dude who runs it was in a bit of trouble a while ago, so i'd rather order CD's from a record company or a decent distro. The guys also a complete twat to e-mail or phone up. I phoned to asked where the hel my CD's were and couldnt understand a single word the cunt said. Whenever I've e-mailed him to ask where the fuck my CD's were he replies with like one sentence, two if you're lucky.

But thats just my experience, if his service is alright to you then thats cool.

Ageless said:
Heh, you're lucky man. Supernal have buggered me more than I'm wiling to stand so I never ever order anything from their. There's better cheaper places. The longest I've had to wait it just over a month for my 4th CD to come. i made an order of 4 CD's and got them periodically. I heard the dude who runs it was in a bit of trouble a while ago, so i'd rather order CD's from a record company or a decent distro. The guys also a complete twat to e-mail or phone up. I phoned to asked where the hel my CD's were and couldnt understand a single word the cunt said. Whenever I've e-mailed him to ask where the fuck my CD's were he replies with like one sentence, two if you're lucky.

But thats just my experience, if his service is alright to you then thats cool.

Hhmm..well like I said the service I received was very good (and fast), but I've only done it once. I guess it's just a case of whether they currently have your order in stock.

Would you mind sharing the sites you prefer to use (e.g. for cheaper prices, better service)?

Thanks.

Thanks.

I'll have to check that site out more in depth, but at a glance the prices (about 10 quid for an album) seem no cheaper than Supernal, and I typed in various bands I might be interested in and none were found.

Oh well!

Ones that should've been mentioned more:

Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours (and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness just for tracks 2-5)

Therion - Beyond Sanctorum

Reactions: Stormwatch
Of what little I've listened to of 'True' Death Metal, my favorites are:

Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Nile - Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka
Suffocation - Human Waste
Death - The Sound Of Perseverance
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph
The Crown - Possessed 13
Entombed - Left Hand Path