Commended

Periphery
Oceansize - Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up
Joe Satriani - Black swans and wormhole wizards
While she sleeps - the north stands for nothing

Disappointments

Parkway Drive - Deep blue (shit!)
Slash (shit!)
Paul Gilbert - Fuzz Universe (not toooo bad)
John 5 - The art of malice

There hasn't really been anything out this year so far that's really hit the spot and enabled to me really connect with whatever energies the bands were cultivating on said albums, so I have been taking it upon myself a lot this year to create the music that I want to hear.

new cephalic is probably the only one for me that would make this list aside from my own music, which sounds horribly vain, but eh, there's no vanity involved.

There hasn't really been anything out this year so far that's really hit the spot and enabled to me really connect with whatever energies the bands were cultivating on said albums, so I have been taking it upon myself a lot this year to create the music that I want to hear.

new cephalic is probably the only one for me that would make this list aside from my own music, which sounds horribly vain, but eh, there's no vanity involved.

Pretentious bastard:D

Deathspell-Omega-Paracletus-e1287092483215.jpg

Unless Secret Chiefs 3 decide to bring out Book of Souls this year....
BUUUUUUUT it's not going to happen because Trey Spruance is busy playing for Mike Patton's fucking Mondo Caine of all fucking projects. WHY?!?!?!
Damn you trey spruance, you could be busy making INTERESTING MUSIC rather than playing for a yamtsuka eye wannabe :(

youngbloods - amity affliction
invade - within the ruins
mariage... - plea for purging
saturday night sever - buried in verona
illuminaudio - chiodos
proprioception - and hell followed with
periphery
to our forfathers - i am abomination
hold me down - you me at six

probably more i cant think of.. but thats my standouts.

i want to see ryans post haha

Ghost - Opus Eponymous - Some of the best songwriting in recent memory, and it came out of fucking nowhere
Wormed - Quasineutrality
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus - Even though it hasn't arrived yet, I can't imagine it'll be anything other than awesome
Dyscarnate - Enduring The Massacre - TOP quality death metal

Honorable Mentions

Aeon - Path of Fire
Trigger the Bloodshed - Degenerate (had a LOT to live up to after TGD)
Beneath the Massacre - Maree Noire

Dissapointments

Watain - Lawless Darkness
Decrepit Birth - Polarity

It was a bit of lackluster year on the whole though....

Aeon - Path of Fire

Hell yes, first post in this thread that made any sense! :headbang:

Aeon - Path Of Fire and Grave - Burial Ground are the two albums this year that has made me go HOLY SHIT I HAVE TO BUY THIS, with Grave coming out on top for old school cred. Can't really think of any other new releases this year that has caught my eye though.

Path of fire was definitely a grower, notice the huge deicide influence?
Have you heard the Dyscarnate record though? or their ep?
Check that shit out

My 2010 albums are (in no particular order):

Iron Maiden - "The Final Frontier"
A few days have not gone by since it's release that I have not listened through it front to back (I really do listen to it on vinyl).

The Absense - "Enemy Unbound"
Still keeping with the old school Melodic Death Metal style - but they do it so much better than most imitators.

Accept - "Blood of Nations"
What else can be said - Andy Sneap gets together with one of his favorite bands - the results speak to the chemistry they had.

Overkill - "Ironbound"
Possibly my album of the year - they showed that an old school thrash band really can get better with age.

Engel - "Threnody"
Great production and catchy as all hell songs.

I'm sure I can think of more, but those stick out as the metal albums that have gotten a lot of listening time in the car and at home.

As for non-metal I'll have to think about it.

I thought of another album in the metal genre that I really enjoyed.

Vanden Plas - "The Seraphic Clockwork"
Andy Kuntz is one of my favorite singers and Vanden Plas never disappoints.

I thought of another album in the metal genre that I really enjoyed.

Vanden Plas - "The Seraphic Clockwork"
Andy Kuntz is one of my favorite singers and Vanden Plas never disappoints.

+1

It was a long wait, but it was worth it!

I don't think it's been a slow year... The most pleasant surprise for me was the Mutiny Within debut album. Also I've really enjoyed

As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise
Stone Sour - Audio Secrecy
Fear Factory - Mechanize
Deftones - Diamond Eyes

...and yes, although arguably not one of their best, Maiden's Final Frontier because I'm such a sucker for anything Maiden...

Atheist - Jupiter. Everything else to me was mostly uninspired and bland. I'm a huge Nevermore fan, but most of the songs on the new album were a huge let down.

BUUUUUUUT it's not going to happen because Trey Spruance is busy playing for Mike Patton's fucking Mondo Caine of all fucking projects. WHY?!?!?!
Damn you trey spruance, you could be busy making INTERESTING MUSIC rather than playing for a yamtsuka eye wannabe :(

Book of Souls should be out this year! At least this guys are on the same stage again, it gives me hope for a new Bungle cd!

you would definitely appreciate Paracletus. not sure if you like/listen to DsO but I equate DsO to being the Gorguts of black metal.