a little help...

kwed

New Metal Member
Mar 22, 2010
I am planning on ranking Nevermore's albums on my blog, before the release of the new one. And I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys as to what the pros and cons are of each album. I was trying to see if there were little things I am missing when listening to an album.

I can't really pick a favorite album. It's pretty tough. So any help would be great. Why do you hate/love a certain Nevermore album.

By the way, my blog is in my signature.
Thanks in advance.

Well, I'll give you a serious answer before we start posting pictures of food.

I prefer the Kernon produced albums, because I think Sneap over produces, although he's immensely talented at it. Lots of folks hate EoR, but I think it's one of their strongest, especially lyrically.

Dead Heart is often considered the weakest because the song writing his simplistic compared to other efforts and occasionally the lyricism is heavy handed.

Well, I'll give you a serious answer before we start posting pictures of food.

I prefer the Kernon produced albums, because I think Sneap over produces, although he's immensely talented at it. Lots of folks hate EoR, but I think it's one of their strongest, especially lyrically.

Dead Heart is often considered the weakest because the song writing his simplistic compared to other efforts and occasionally the lyricism is heavy handed.

i will agree with you on EoR. I think the thing that hurts that album is the short run time.

It's interesting that you say Dead Heart is considered their weakest because on the Megadeth boards (where I used to hang out) most considered that their best.

For me I put Dead Heart, Dreaming Neon Black, and This Godless Endeavor all at the top most of the time.

POE is my opinion is the epitome of perfection:
Things like Tienanmen Man, Seven Tongues of God, The Learning are just amazing in the way everything works. All of the elements of my favorite kinds of music are present. Classic thrash vibe, thought provoking lyrical content, angular and dissonant passages.

DNB - This is their most accessible album for people who are not Nevermore fans cause the songs are very simple in structure and follow the basic verse - chorus - verse - chorus type of song writing that most people are used to. Its a great introductory album for those new to the band. It has the least amount of "prog" influence. While the lyrics can sometimes get overwhelming the riffage is great and the playing is spot on. I am the Dog is probably my favorite tune on this album as it really retains the "prog" element of the band from he previous record

DHIADW is the introduction of the Seven String and a very darker time in the history of the band. Everything got much more aggressive overall and took on a much darker and broodier tone. There is really some brilliant song writing on this album. Jeff really upped the ante on this one combining the melodic and prog elements of past Nevermore efforts with a darker and much heavier sound. This is probably my fave NM album when I am angry cause its very aggressive but still has elements of classic Nevermore, and Jeffs solos are just amazing on this. Tons of feel, attitude and shreddy kruger goodness.

EOR the songwriting on this is just great. There isn't a bad song on this album but it suffered due to lack of production. The songs didn't seem as powerful as previous Nevermore efforts cause the original production was so lacking. Live these songs stand up with the best of em! I Voyager is probably my favorite song on this album. The lyrics are very near and dear to me.

TGE - This album just pummels you from start to finish. To me it feel like Nevermore's least focused effort. It has that WE ARE ANGRY AND I DONT GIVE A FUCK! mentality to it ..lol The songs bounce around and just no cohesion between them. to me personally it feels like more of a showcase of intense shred guitar then it does a Nevermore record. While all of the songs individually are incredible on their own, they just lack a cohesive vision to be considered and "album" in my opinion. The album really shows a diversity in the band which is a great thing. The only time the album lets up is Sentient #6 and The intro to TGE ..other then that its I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS TILL YOU DIE!

Made an edit cause I thought I was talking about DHIADW and I was really talking about DNB ... lol

Ill break this down to the average Neverboarder can understand it

POE
pancakes.jpg

DNB
frosted-flakes-cereal-0909-de.jpg

DHIADW
medium_product_65.jpg

EOR
slim_fast_high_protein_shake_mix_creamy_reviews_1102153_raw.jpg

TGE
breakfast2_small.jpg

My ranking is
1. DNB: my all time favorite concept album (favorites: Death of Passion, Fault of the Flesh, No More Will)
2. EoR: I love thrash and this album has the most thrashy feel and it was my first NM album (favorites: Ambivalent, Create the Infinite)
3. PoE: The most unique sounding NM album in my opinion. (favorites: Lost, 42147, The Learning)
4. NM: Falsettos. (favorites: C.B.F., Sea of Possibilities)
5. TGE: Very few songs on this album grab me and make me want to continue listening. (favorites: A Future Uncertain, This Godless Endeavor)
6. IM: Only behind TGE because it's so short. (favorites: Optimist or Pessimist, Matricide)
7. DHiaDW: Jeff turns down the technicality in the riffing. (favorites: We Disintegrate, Engines of Hate)

If you have nothing better to write about in your blog than another "top X albums" list, please cease blogging immediately.

if you go to the blog you would see it's more than that. I just like to rank a group's albums before a new one comes out.

My ranking is
1. DNB: my all time favorite concept album (favorites: Death of Passion, Fault of the Flesh, No More Will)
2. EoR: I love thrash and this album has the most thrashy feel and it was my first NM album (favorites: Ambivalent, Create the Infinite)
3. PoE: The most unique sounding NM album in my opinion. (favorites: Lost, 42147, The Learning)
4. NM: Falsettos. (favorites: C.B.F., Sea of Possibilities)
5. TGE: Very few songs on this album grab me and make me want to continue listening. (favorites: A Future Uncertain, This Godless Endeavor)
6. IM: Only behind TGE because it's so short. (favorites: Optimist or Pessimist, Matricide)
7. DHiaDW: Jeff turns down the technicality in the riffing. (favorites: We Disintegrate, Engines of Hate)

thanks.
that's some interesting rankings. I am a little surprised at TGE being so low on the list. I personally think it's their best album in terms of solos. I think having Steve Smyth in the band brought that out.