A new, sober, thread about single malt scotch whisky thread.

Let me say that I fucking ABHOR Tequila......BUT!

Last night night I has some Patron Platinum....whoa. Not that it is extremely tasty or antyhign because its not. It tastes like water. No alcohol bite at all. INSANELY smooth and didnt have that nasty tequila flavor much, if at all. It was really weird. It was the smoothest spirit I have ever drank in my life.

My brother in law wanted to try my 12 year Highland Park but insisted it be on ice. Sure enough, he said, "I can't drink this. It tastes like cardboard."

*shrugs*

Don't drink single malt on ice. According to experts, you can add some water to bring out all the scents and flavors but I have yet to try that.

oh shit, will do.

I didn't realize how different single malt scotch whisky was from blended. I was talking to the guy about whiskies, and he offered me a free shot. Was quite tasty. Much much better than the Johnny Walker I had before.

Using ice is like blasphemy. As is using tap water. Only use distilled water or the like. Also, only use a few drops. It's enough to chemically alter the drink and bring out new flavors and aromas.

Update: holy shit! This Scotch Whisky is 10000000000000000000000000 times better than Johnny Walker bollocks!

Cheers for the tips. Usually I don't listen to women, but you seem cool.

Just poured a glass :kickass:

I'll take it as a compliment... I think ;)

It's really about personal taste... the water work for some, doesn't really work for me... It may sound gross but I prefer my saliva to open up the flavour before... but you'll do what ever works for you...

Which Johnny did you use to drink?
The green and blue lable are great ones, actually.
(red and black is blah though)

i drink it neat, then do the water thing. and do the mouth thing. i try to wrench everything out of the experience. lol

also its not just about the flavor...its the NOSE!!!!!

Yep, it's the nose and mouth... haha :lol:
It took me quite some time to fully open up my mind and taste buds
for good scotch, which is why I purchase nowadays only the best of the best of what I like.

It's as serious busines as gourmet wine, really. :saint:

I'm so going to pour myself a glass now.