A new, sober, thread about single malt scotch whisky thread.

I never really had a taste for any kind of whisk(e)y until last summer when I bought a bottle of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve. Usually just put a couple cubes of ice into a glass with it and it is delicious bourbon. Haven't actually had any others for a few months and so I had a hankerin to have some, so I got a bottle of Old Smuggler scotch last weekend and then a bottle of good 'ol Jim Beam yesterday. Definitely prefer bourbon right now, but scotch is still delicious.

i had to check out this "buffalo trace" shitz and yeah, you can get it in sweden

70 dollars

sigh.

yo i just bought my first bottle of bourbon today

it's "BULLEIT BOURBON FRONTIER WHISKEY" is this decent

if you had to choose between this, four roses or maker's mark, what would you get and why

yo i just bought my first bottle of bourbon today

it's "BULLEIT BOURBON FRONTIER WHISKEY" is this decent

Hey, this is one of the few bourbons available here in Ontario! I've never tried it. I usually go with Woodford Reserve but the last bottle I bought was pretty weak in flavour. Not impressed. Maybe its Bulleit Bourbon time!!

if you had to choose between this, four roses or maker's mark, what would you get and why
Never had Four Roses. I don't see it around here very often and had been under the impression it was akin to Wild Turkey. If I see, I'll have to give it a try.

When I'm at a bar, I look for bourbons in the following order:

Woodford Reserve
Basil Haydens
Baker's
Booker's
Blanton's
Knob Creek
Makers Mark

Booker's is something I'd recommend to everyone, if for no other reason than it's mind-boggling that something between 123 - 127 proof (it's different in every bottle) can be that smooth. That said, bourbon is no different than music; it's up to the individual. I have some bourbon drinking friends who steer away from Basil Haydens and Woodford (both 80 proof) because it lacks the bite they enjoy.

I am not a big fan of Woodford Reserve at all. Its too perfumy/floral, for lack of a better term. I need more spice and boldness.

The yellow label Four Roses is just a run-of-the-mill bourbon. Go for the Single Barrel. THAT is where it's at. 100 proof yet smooth as silk and an AMAZING finish.

jmo

I am not a big fan of Woodford Reserve at all. Its too perfumy/floral, for lack of a better term. I need more spice and boldness.
I'm not big on the descriptors either. If anything, I get a kind of buttery taste. I typically prefer my alcohol smooth. To me, the burning sensation is a drawback, not a selling point. That said, you're not alone. A lot of folks prefer a bit of bite.

had like 4 bourbons/coke in the last 5 hours. this stuff isn't working in the summer.
time to switch to beer full time for the next 3-4 months.

oh yeah, last week I was at a bar that had Buffalo Trace as a top shelf selling it for like 8-9 bucks neat ... I laughed knowing how much a bottle is, but it surely can pass for it though.

I got in a fight with the woman last night, too. :headbang:

We have awesome fights though. They are pointless, quick, and profane as all fuck. Then she hits me like 6 times and I get a boner.

It's one of my best mates' 30th on Thursday, and a couple of other blokes and I are going to get him a 30 year old Single Malt. Probably the Glenfarclas. Fucking $400 a bottle. The cunt better share, otherwise this is the worst idea ever.

Gonna grab me some Wild Turkey Rare Breed next weekend in NH duty-free....1/4 the price. :kickass:

Four Roses SB is still the best bourbon I have ever had so far. I wanna get their Mariage offering..just so much money. I think I am a FR guy.

I had Bookers a few weeks back and it had the longest lasting finish ever. It is def up there on my list.

I have totally converted to Bourbon over the past couple years over Single Malt Scotch. I totally dig the corn sweetness, blanaced by the rye spice of bourbon. Although, I still dig the fuck out of my single malts like Lagavulin which I enjoyed last night. Its just that I start to get sick of the dryness and briney-ness of them towards the end of the dram. I could always go towards the Lowlands and Speyside of the spectrum but fuck that. Plus its, on avg, way more expensive than a kickass All-American straight bourbon.