A new, sober, thread about single malt scotch whisky thread.

Screen-shot-2010-11-22-at-10.12.02.png

How do you not just drink it all really fast once you buy it? That is a lesson I need to learn some day :lol:

I'm a one-bottle-of-liquor-til-its-gone kinda guy. Even with the top-shelf shit.

Ballentine's is Ok. I use it for mixing but neat it's not bad either.
1.75L for $28

i saw this somewhere

http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/2...-2011-world-whisky-awards-scotch-whisky-news/

not saying that this book is necessarily credible or anything (haven't checked it out) but this guy is apparently respected and has tasted almost every whisky there is so if ballantine's 17 yr old comes out on top its probably decent

Added Jim: “Ballantine’s 17-years-old has always been one of the world’s premier whiskies: its consistency over the years has been quite remarkable. But this year it just progressed that extra notch to leave all other whiskies in its shadow. This currently marks the epitome of great blending, indeed, great whisky: nowhere else can you find balance, texture, and content come together in such a sensual, graceful way. It really is the nectar of the gods, except even they might struggle to get to the bottom of its labyrinthine complexity. It needed something out of this world to see off the two Buffalo Trace whiskeys…and this was it.”

Have yet to crack it open, but got this as best man's gift from my friend's wedding... fucking can't wait

laphroaig-18-tubebottle-2-259x500.jpg

Which I most definitely am, and have enjoyed ever Laphroaig thus far. Just figure I'll wait for a proper occasion before cracking it open, and I still have a half bottle of the Cask Strength left.

Yeah I did buy Lagavulin 16 year or some such thing, I have the empty bottle somewhere. It was every bit as great as expected.

where does Talisker figure in to the equation? I haven't had any since I was new to single malts.

Highland Park 12 year and Talisker 10 year were the first two I tried, loved em both as starters.

Definitely the bold smoky peaty briney Islays are what suits me best.

Talisker 10 packs a big peat punch as well as a HUGE pepper blast top the nuts. Also somewhat briny. It's def Islay by nature. Talisker is in Skye which I believe is pretty close to the Islay region but I may be wrong.

Also, considering that my favorite single malts to date are Talisker Distiller's Edition (1996 I believe - Amaroso cask) and Talisker 18, I would say that they are my favorite Scotland distillery.

Edit: Yep, it was 1996 because I had it in 08. Shit was amazing. I need to get a bottle of the next bottling. I missed out on last years - 1999.

oh, damn, I had a bottle of that 1996 distiller's edition once! mmm... (08 sounds about right!)
i don't make enough money to be buying single malts very often
usually when i get random monies from the government

how 'bout least favourites?

Auchentoshan 12 year holds that dubious distinction for me