A new, sober, thread about single malt scotch whisky thread.

yeah .. aromatic ... I want something like that.
how much does the balvenie run?

12 year is around 35-40 bucks, the 15 year was on sale, normally it goes for somewhere between 60-70. They have a 10 year, however, that is probably one of the best single malts for the price that's in the mid to high 20 (like 28.99). Really good.

I prefer the 12 to the 15 year Balvenie, but there's no question the 15 is pretty amazing.

Also tonight at Bevmo I noticed the 10 year is more expensive than the 12 now, it was never like that before.

All three rule face.

Weird.... I've heard a few say they prefer the 12. But yes, they own. Sunday, my friend is bringing over his 21 year Portwood Cask Balvenie... I'm entirely going to need a hankie in my pants for that.

That's rad. Someday I'll buy a bottle, but that's a pretty big entry fee.

[/just spent $125 at Bevmo anyway, for 15 bottles of random shite]

I never fail to drop 3 digits whenever I go in there.

Tonight:

gifts:
2 big bottles Stone Double Bastard
750ml Gran Centenario Reposado
Joseph Filippi Creme de la Creme sherry
Burgess cabernet sauvignon (2004)

for me:
Rogue Shakespeare Stout
4-pack Samuel Smith Imperial Stout

Had my eye on the Oban Distiller's Edition, likely my next purchase. Either that or some sort of Macallan, not sure yet. I have plenty of Balvenie 12 and Oban 14 to keep me drunk for the rest of the season, might wait until next year to re-indulge.

Oh yeah, if someone wants to tell me which Macallan to go with, I'll listen quite perkily.

Note: I had the Fine Oak 10 year and found it to be swill, I literally left half that bottle at a party on purpose. I later sampled some 12 year and thought it was quite tasty. Their shit is pretty expensive so I don't want to fuck up like I did that first time.

12 is really good, but the 18 is amazing... It's often hard to justify the cost though, because the Lagavulin 16 year is better and slightly cheaper. According to the guy I buy cigars from, the Cask Strength MacAllan is almost as good as 18 year, and about half the price, so I shall have to check that out, but it sounds like a winner.

And you may be one of the few people I can talk tequilas with, how is the Gran Centenario?

PS- Sam Smith Imperial Stout is great.

Gran Centenario is probalby the best tequila I've had, better than even Don Julio which is my usual bottle. $60 for a bottle of tequila is a bit high for me, so I've only ever puchased bottles as gifts. The reposado was on sale, and pops prefers that age bracket, so there you have it.

I saw the Macallan Cask Strenf tonight, perhaps I'll grab that. It's not terribly expensive from their bottles, looks like it won some awards too.

I had two SS Imperials this past Friday at a bar, freakin' marvelous stuff. The woman reminded me I've had them before, but I was 4 sheets to the wind by the time we got to those that particular evening.

Better to try the first round..

Don Julio is a favorite, so I suspect I'll be checking them shitz out.

And yeah, Cask Strength is a winner by every account I've heard.

Today has been a good day...

I just finished a Chimay red, which put a nice even buzz on where I can stop here, chug a glass of water, and feel like nothing happened tonight.

At the same time, all this boozetalk makes me want to go through the cabinets and have another round.

I suppose that walking out to the living room to put on a Pogues album would seal my fate, hmm.

Water chugged, Pogues playing via headphones, dram of the Dalmore with a splash of water in hand.

Cheers.