A Question For The Death Metal Fans

The Grimace said:
You're.... umm... wrong. Not sure how else to say it.

But this specifically...

How exactly can you balance relentlessness with anything other than more relentlessness? Doesn't it loose what makes it relentless when it... ya know... relents? :err:

That's the whole idea of brutal death metal, skipper. Just cause you don't like it...

Ok ok, that was worded wrongly. ;) Surely you can see that there's a difference between 'relentlessness' and 'monotony' and I feel that CC fall under the latter. I don't, by any means, think that every 'brutal death' band falls under the latter.

Somberlain said:
Absu - Barathrum V.I.T.R.I.O.L (1993)
Afflicted – Prodigal Sun (1992)
Altar – Ex Oblivione (1992)
Amorphis – The Karelian Isthmus (1992)
Asphyx – The Rack (1991)
At the Gates – The Red in the Sky is Ours (1992)
Atheist – Unquestionable Presence (1991)
Atrocity - Hallucinations (1990)
Bluuurgh... - In My Embrace (1992)
Brutality – Screams of Anguish (1993)
Cadaver - ...In Pains (1992)
Carbonized – For the Security (1991)
Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey (1992)
Creepmime – Shadows (1993)
Crypt of Kerberos – World of Myths (1993)
Darkthrone – Soulside Journey (1990)
Demigod – Slumber of Sullen Eyes (1992)
Demilich – Nespithe (1993)

...I reckon you can figure out where this is going.

Not to mention Autopsy and Atrocity's "Longing for Death" and Carnage and Cartilage and Cenotaph and Cerebral Fix. :)

Guardian of Darkness said:
Ok ok, that was worded wrongly. ;) Surely you can see that there's a difference between 'relentlessness' and 'monotony' and I feel that CC fall under the latter.

Firstly, I can quite honestly say I don't believe there is a difference. Each individual's perception of what is "relentless" or "monotonous" is dependant on what extremes of sound they are familiar with. Someone who listens to... I dunno... Nelly or something would consider flower metal to be "relentless". Someone who listens to nothing but free jazz and baroque music would cosider all metal to be "monotonous". So the fact that the music (sometimes "music") that I enjoy and have learned to appreciate the finer aspects of is usually both the most relentless and most monotonous leads me to believe that both terms taken to their extremes have the same definition. Just my view on it.

Second, what exactly is wrong with monotony? Why is it bad when it's intended? When that's the desired effect?

Guardian of Darkness said:
Please elaborate on all statements.
What do you mean "elaborate"? It's pretty obvious to anyone who has ears that The Chasm has turned into a Dissucktion clone; and I don't think that I really need to explain what "melodramatic" means or how Eucharist is an (early) At the Gates clone; if you can't pick up on that, you're a retard. Miasma at their best is pure Slayer worship with a better production and some doomy sections, but are rarely actually that good; it's filled with Pantera-esque groove and all sorts of bullshit that wouldn't sound out of place on a Cult of Luna album.

Somberlain said:
Absu - Barathrum V.I.T.R.I.O.L (1993)
Failure. Not death metal, and really not good either.
Afflicted – Prodigal Sun (1992)
Failure. That album (as well as everything that Afflicted has done) fucking sucks.
Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey (1992)
Failure. One of the most generic albums in Swedeath history.

Cynical said:
What do you mean "elaborate"? It's pretty obvious to anyone who has ears that The Chasm has turned into a Dissucktion clone; and I don't think that I really need to explain what "melodramatic" means or how Eucharist is an (early) At the Gates clone; if you can't pick up on that, you're a retard. Miasma at their best is pure Slayer worship with a better production and some doomy sections, but are rarely actually that good; it's filled with Pantera-esque groove and all sorts of bullshit that wouldn't sound out of place on a Cult of Luna album.

Failure. Not death metal, and really not good either.

Failure. That album (as well as everything that Afflicted has done) fucking sucks.

Failure. One of the most generic albums in Swedeath history.

I enjoy the Absu album, but it could have been excluded. In regards to the other two complaints; 'Failure.' You have shit taste.

Somberlain said:
I enjoy the Absu album, but it could have been excluded. In regards to the other two complaints; 'Failure.' You have shit taste.
Failure. The only one of those that's even debateable is the Afflicted; Cemetary really was just a clone of 5,000,000 other Swedeath bands that did it better. And with Afflicted it may be a matter of taste, but I (and most other death metal fans) would prefer something that's not some bouncy rock bullshit.

The Grimace said:
If you're saying that Cult Of Luna sounds anything like Pantera or that they are anything less than spectacular, you're a fucking tool.
No, Cult of Luna sounds nothing like Pantera.

They fucking suck ass, though. Almost as much as Pantera.

Cynical said:
Failure. The only one of those that's even debateable is the Afflicted; Cemetary really was just a clone of 5,000,000 other Swedeath bands that did it better. And with Afflicted it may be a matter of taste, but I (and most other death metal fans) would prefer something that's not some bouncy rock bullshit.

Cemetary's debut wasn't exactly revolutionary, and the style has been performed better(By say, Necrophobic). But, seeing as it was released in '92, I'd hardly call it a clone. The only Swedish death metal albums released previously (that I can think of) that combine the spine-crushing sound of sunlight studios and the darkly melodic ideas are The Winterlong(though it was only written/recorded beforehand, not released), and a bunch of others released the same year. I'd call something like Comecon's Megatrends in Brutality, or Sorcery's Bloodchilling Tales total clones. I fail to see the bouncy rock tendencies of Prodigal Sun, as well.

polarity said:
If those are the elements you ascribe the most importance to in death metal, you are a fucking idiot.

I like something else than you in death metal. Can you take it, or are you going to crumble like a wreck? But so long you continue to ooze intelligence, you needn't worry.

I'm going to stick with the opinion I've had all along and say that CC suck ass. To me, that's bouncy rock music.

As far as the comments on The Chasm, Eucharist, Cemetary, Afflicted, Miasma, Cult of Luna, and even Pantera...bunk. All of it.

This obscurer-than-thou shit is beyond old. It's just bad.

Amen to all the recommendations on the first page, though. I'd go with a mixture of the brutal DM recs and GoD's/Somberlain's (i think) 'essentials' list.

anonymousnick2001 said:
I'm going to stick with the opinion I've had all along and say that CC suck ass. To me, that's bouncy rock music.

As far as the comments on The Chasm, Eucharist, Cemetary, Afflicted, Miasma, Cult of Luna, and even Pantera...bunk. All of it.

This obscurer-than-thou shit is beyond old. It's just bad.

Amen to all the recommendations on the first page, though. I'd go with a mixture of the brutal DM recs and GoD's/Somberlain's (i think) 'essentials' list.
Actually, I'd say that most of the bands and albums I'd consider fucking great are far less obscure than the above. Thus, you fail it.

But, if you need to judge for yourself, here's my top 15 DM list:

1. Gorguts- Obscura ------------------------------------------------------------ Canada
2. The Chasm- Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph ------------------------------ Mexico
3. Immolation- Close to a World Below ----------------------------------------------------- U.S.
4. Therion- Beyond Sanctorum --------------------------------------------------- Sweden
5. Demilich- Nespithe ---------------------------------------------------------- Finland
6. Morbid Angel- Blessed Are the Sick ------------------------------------------ U.S.
7. Massacra- Final Holocaust --------------------------------------------------- France
8. Adramelech- Pure Blood Doom--------------------------------------------------Finland
9. Necrophobic- The Nocturnal Silence ----------------------------------------- Sweden
10. Demigod- Slumber of Sullen Eyes ----------------------------------------- Finland
11. At the Gates- The Red in the Sky is Ours ----------------------------------- Sweden
12. Incantation- Onward to Golgotha -------------------------------------------- U.S.
13. Suffocation- Breeding the Spawn --------------------------------------- U.S.
14. Unleashed- Where No Life Dwells -------------------------------------------- Sweden
15. Atheist- Unquestionable Presence ------------------------------------------- U.S.

Interesting. Many of those are favorites of mine as well.

I conclude that you insist a release sound like those 15 to be good, yet somehow be original, or maintain a level of death metal purity which, heh, doesn't exist.

Your observations about Eucharist were almost as fallacious as the opinion that Death's TSOP ripped off Atheist.

However, my job is not to evaluate your taste in music. Just keep your opinions and facts straight, and the wrong ones to yourself.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Interesting. Many of those are favorites of mine as well.

I conclude that you insist a release sound like those 15 to be good, yet somehow be original, or maintain a level of death metal purity which, heh, doesn't exist.
Wrong again. There are many, MANY runners-up that don't sound like those 15 (Dismember's first, God Macabre, Acerbus, Cadaver's second, Cenotaph, newer Crimson Massacre, Deeds of Flesh, Deicide's Legion, Gorefest's second, early Vader, just to name a few).

Your observations about Eucharist were almost as fallacious as the opinion that Death's TSOP ripped off Atheist.
Have you HEARD the Eucharist album in question, and "The Red in the Sky is Ours" by At the Gates? If you don't hear the extreme similarities between the two albums, you're deaf.