A Question For The Death Metal Fans

Hay guys, my name is Cynical. Check out my uber-cool list of favorite dm albums. I even included the country of origin for each band -----------Finland. Pretty cool, huh guys? Don't you guys think I have awesome taste in music?

Cynical: It's time that the diversity of your vocabulary matched that of the ethnicity of your favorite bands. Let's find a new word besides "fail" or "failure."

Apparently Afflicted used to be good DM. I only heard one of their songs and it was terrible Manowar style cheese. How did that happen?

And now, in the spirit of UM, I will name some obscure bands.

Gorefest
Necrophil
Fetish 69
Nonoyesno
Krishna Brothers
Bloodlust
Mortification

Cynical: It's time that the diversity of your vocabulary matched that of the ethnicity of your favorite bands. Let's find a new word besides "fail" or "failure."
Why? "You fail" gets the point across succintly and with no questions.
Apparently Afflicted used to be good DM. I only heard one of their songs and it was terrible Manowar style cheese. How did that happen?
In 1993, they randomly switched from sub-par DM to sub-par PM.

I thought there were elitist jackasses and then pure jackasses. Cynical seems to be come under the latter. Sure his recs are great, but so are most of the other folks' in this forum. But he has to be a cunt and try to be different huh? ;)

The Chasm's The Spell of Retribution is just a more polished production of their ever famous style that they determined in Conjuration of the Spectral Empire. They don't sound like Dissection and will never sound like Dissection. The melodies are way more epic and lush with riffs that flow so easily.

As for my recs:

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Vore - Lord of Storms
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
Spawn of Possession - Cabinet
The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
Serpens Aeon - Dawn of Kouatl
Vital Remains - Dawn of the Apoclypse
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients
Obituary - Cause of Death
Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction
Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence
Nocturnus - The Key
Mithras - Worlds Beyond the Veil

The Spell of Retribution and Dissection sound nothing alike. Perhaps to the uneducated ear all those arpeggiated minor barre chords that both bands utilize to a great extent make them sound the same. On the contrary, there's way too many differences between the two bands. Who the hell knows what this arrogant Prozak wannabe is talking about?

Or lock him in a room and force him to listen to the Spell of Retribution.

I wonder what Cynical makes of Brutality's Scream of Anguish, Cenotaph's Riding Our Black Oceans and Infester's To The Depths in Degradation.

Doomwatcher said:
I wonder what Cynical makes of Brutality's Scream of Anguish, Cenotaph's Riding Our Black Oceans and Infester's To The Depths in Degradation.
Of those three, I've only heard the Cenotaph, and it utterly fucking rules.

As for The Chasm's latest- the real similarity to Dissection is that they've accquired a really "sacharine" taste to the melodies, and that the whole thing has turned very "rock 'n roll"- listen to any of the guitar leads on the album, any of the riffs that weren't stolen straight from the previous album (of which there are quite a few), that long as fuck prog-rock song that they vomited up in the middle of the album (I can't name it, since I deleted it off of my hard drive), or the Iron Maiden-esque galloping riffs, and tell me that they haven't gained a remarkable similarity to Dissucktion's "Iron Maiden with a BM aesthetic" style.

I find it odd that you think "Riding Our Black Oceans" utterly fucking rules yet slate "A Velvet Creation" for being an 'ATG clone' (the similarities are negligible to my ears, clearly you're unable to elaborate though), though I concede that it's a little melodramatic in places.

I presume you'll use "I deleted it off my hard drive" as an excuse for not being able to give me specific references to these heavy metal/cloned riffs, but you have a request nontheless.

Somberlain said:
Indeed, I had to make a few cuts. I haven't heard Longing For Death, how does it compare to Hallucinations?

I haven't heard Hallucinations. :erk: "Longing for Death" is among my top 20 DM albums though.

Firstly, I can quite honestly say I don't believe there is a difference. Each individual's perception of what is "relentless" or "monotonous" is dependant on what extremes of sound they are familiar with. Someone who listens to... I dunno... Nelly or something would consider flower metal to be "relentless". Someone who listens to nothing but free jazz and baroque music would cosider all metal to be "monotonous". So the fact that the music (sometimes "music") that I enjoy and have learned to appreciate the finer aspects of is usually both the most relentless and most monotonous leads me to believe that both terms taken to their extremes have the same definition. Just my view on it.

Second, what exactly is wrong with monotony? Why is it bad when it's intended? When that's the desired effect?

A definition of monotony is 'tedious repetition'. Anywho, I don't think 'relentlessness' is in direct opposition to 'variation'; the former can be maintained without sacrificing the latter. CC may be relentless but it's relentlessly flat.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I find it odd that you think "Riding Our Black Oceans" utterly fucking rules yet slate "A Velvet Creation" for being an 'ATG clone' (the similarities are negligible to my ears, clearly you're unable to elaborate though), though I concede that it's a little melodramatic in places.

I presume you'll use "I deleted it off my hard drive" as an excuse for not being able to give me specific references to these heavy metal/cloned riffs, but you have a request nontheless.
I find it humorous that you say that the similarities between AVC and TRitSiO are negligible when you reccomended AVC to me after I said that I loved TRitSiO. But, really, the albums are quite similar; AVC is a bit more "gothenburg", a bit less chaotic, but still quite similar.

As for that one from The Chasm- the cloned riff that comes to mind instantly is near the end of the second song. Compare that one with the opening riff from "The Conjuration" (song 2 from COTSE). The most obvious "heavy metal" elements are in the leads, although they are also there in the riffs (particularly in the fourth track, IIRC). Also, all 50 million gallop riffs lend weight to them turning into a "heavy metal" band.

I find it hillarious that you agreed with me about the album untill the popular opinion came out and said "OMFG, BEST ALBUM EVAR!!!".

I figure a guy who likes Nespithe would probably like Deathcult too, that doesn't mean they're hugely similar...

I agreed with you after two (frankly less than focused) listens that it sounded rather uninspired in comparison to previous releases.

Cynical, you have great taste but try way too hard. :/

Also, I don't really see why The Nocturnal Silence is listed so high, especially considering the similarities it shares with Dissection - one of those bands you get kicks from oh-so-wittily changing the name to include a negative adjective in it...(unfortunately these things rarely work effectively, but try "Pukearist" if you need to add another one to your repertoire :-<)