A shopping list for me, created by you

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Theory: I have 100 joo tokens ready for barter with on-line distros.

Just for the hell of it, give me 5 (or more, or less) 'buy or die 10/10 must haves' with some brief explanation for why they are exemplary suggestions.

Examples of my saddened inferiority: I do not own originals of "Stormcrowfleet" or "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus".

I may own some of your suggestions already, but then again, I may not. At minimum, you will have inspired me to check things out further and perhaps even trade tokens with a local Shylock.

All genres welcome from any timeframe. Otherwise, just list your top 5 albums and we'll go from there. :loco:

The shrewd amongst you may even put some thought into it.... :worship:

Stormcrowfleet... I don't think words can explain the atmosphere that this album gives. This album can take you to different places, I heard it on the night of the first snow last year in really early November. I was listening to it while sitting outside, and it completely connected with me. The keyboard melodies, the perfect vocals, and the unique drums... it's all so genius. This is the only album in my collection that allows me to believe that being alone for the rest of my life would be perfectly okay, just because I would listen to it all day and marvel in its total and complete glory. This is my favorite album of all time and it will forever be supreme.

Edit: Sometimes I say "Oh, listening to (insert band name here) makes me never want to make music again." - but here I am listening to Stormcrowfleet and I can say this with total honesty. I do not think that a better collection of music can be made by humans.

Faith No More - Angel Dust
Everybody on the planet needs to own this album. Period.

Primus - Pork Soda
After 12 years I finally realized this is the best Primus record, and I granted it said 10/10 BUY OR DIE rating just yesterday.

Meshuggah - Chaosphere
I know you won't buy it, and it isn't 10/10 BUY OR DIE, but even non-Meshuggah fans seem to dig this one. :loco:

Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze
Another non-10/10, but you should hear 2005's album of the year, dontcha know.

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

I think you have this already, yes? If not, you need it. Remember how the Beatles said they were bigger than Jesus? Well this is bigger than both put together. You heard me!

Carcass - Necroticism
I think you said you don't own this one, yes? Well that means you don't own the best death metal album ever created. Untouchable.

Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
The avant garde black metal album. This is real avant garde, not lets-see-how-many-different-genres-we-can-combine bullshit. Just read all the praise on the forum and there you go.

Isis - Oceanic
Better than Panopticon. 'nuff said.

That's all I can think of atm, that you would like and is a 10/10 or damn close.

Deathprod - The greatest dark ambient artist ever. He has a box set out right now. Basically he was in motorpsycho and has done alot for the norwegian music scene. Really amazing stuff.

Ludicra - anything, they rule completely.

Bad Sector - Amazing ambient/experimental from italy. His website has almost every album available for download, i recommend checking out ampos first.

Black Label Society - Hangover Music Vol. VI - Shake any assumptions you have of this band, this album is different from all of their other material and really incredible. It is all mellow, melodic, beautiful, with solos to die for. Zakk's voice is spot on and this is one of those albums where every song has its place, all connected and constructed perfectly, slowing building with each song and drawing you in. I'll be listening to this when I'm 70.

The Project Hate MCMXCIX - Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate - Dark, evil, blasphemous, beautiful, etc. This album is the perfect mix of so many things. Powerful, pummeling death vocals courtesy of Jorgen Sandstrom and angelic, majestic female vocals by Jo Enckell. Dicing riffs and melodic solos weaving in and out of the occasional bursts of electronics, mixed together perfectly. Huge atmosphere, it puts you in the middle of the apocalypse.

Also, may want to look into Oathean. Probably not 10/10, but it appeals to me because of the Korean folk influences woven into black metal soundscapes. Huge potential, their latest record is excellent, but a couple of the songs are so good that this band could put out something ground-breakingly phenomenal if they focus it.

Opeth17 said:
Also, may want to look into Oathean. Probably not 10/10, but it appeals to me because of the Korean folk influences woven into black metal soundscapes. Huge potential, their latest record is excellent, but a couple of the songs are so good that this band could put out something ground-breakingly phenomenal if they focus it.

Can you tell me which songs? I have this as a promo, but never spent much time with it. I think I got it from The End? Anyway, I'd be interested to check out which tracks you think are the best. :)

Yes, it's on The End. "Wandering Soul", track 2, is a great example of their black metal side with a few of the folk tendencies thrown in, one of my favorites. Then you have "Scent of Longing", track 8, just beautiful stuff that will make the tears well up, it mixes the styles with a focus on the mellow side. "Road To...", track 9, is basically pure Korean folk and it evokes something special in me, I've always been huge on Asian culture and it just takes me to my roots.

I still need to spend more time with this album and a few songs in the midsection because the beginning and end blow me away so much that I tend to just skip it, but I have listened to it all the way through a few times and when I do, it is rather excellent all in all. Really solid stuff, I'm falling in love with this album, will be Top 10.

Tool - Lateralus. It ain't metal and doesn't need to be. You still have to search hard to find an album that is more intense. Great songwriting, long songs, strong musicianship.

Armored Saint - One of the more underrated bands of the 80s. Great classic metal. Any of the first 3 will do (March of the Saint, Delirious Nomad, Raising Fear)

Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium. Morbid Tales and To Megatherion get most of the attention, but this one is still my favorite. A one of a kind album--WAY fucking ahead of its time. To cover Wall of Voodoo is ballsy, to open the album with it is insane.

Slint - Spiderland. Classic album--highly influential indie rock. Cousin to the Neurosis, Isis thing. Amazing

Other non-metal stuff you probably won't be interested in (but should be). Ask if you want more info. These are some of my favorite albums: Jeff Buckley-Grace, PJ Harvey-Dry, Killing Joke-Extremities, Dirt, and Various Repressed Emotions, Janes Addiction-Nothing's Shocking, AC/DC-Powerage (I don't trust anyone who doesn't like Bon-era AC/DC).

UnExpect - _ We, Invaders EP

Advant garde metal ala Arcturus, Solefald, and east coast music.

Aesma Daeva - The New Athens Ethos

symphonic metal, with very good female vocals.

thats All I can think ov.

~ Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet

~ Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory of The Bizarre Reverend (re-issue w/ Return To The Rectory bonus disc)

~ Tool - Lateralus & Aenima

~ Isis - Oceanic

~ Neurosis - Souls At Zero, TSiB, ASTNS,

~ Lunar Aurora - Zyklus

~ Solitude Aeternus - EVERYTHING

~ Worship - Last Tape/CD/Vinyl Before Doomsday

~ Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice

~ Dredg - El Cielo

&more