A thought on Opeth.....

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
I have been for years now trying to figure out what makes Opeth so different, and so good when compared to almost any other band. I can never quite figure it out, but there are certain parts of their music that make me see why. One in particular:

Long riffs.

I don't think I've ever heard another band use long riffs before. If you wrote it out as a proffessional guitar tab, you'd notice that each riffr would take up way more space than your average riff, in a ny style of music . For example, the second riff in moonlapse Vertigo. That's like a 15 second riff!

Are there ANY other bands that use this style of riffing much?

Yes there are a lot of metal bands that do, they write just as complex riffs that go for the same amount of bars and whatever, but the tempo is twice as fast so they dont end up as long. Most bands playing at Opeth's tempo revert to chord progressions but there are plenty of other bands around with hugely long and slow riffs, they just do it differently than Opeth and i happen to like the sounds of Opeth's long riffs better! Though the vast majority of all musicians fall into the trap of writing 4 bar riffs though, or 4 chord chord-progressions early on in their music days, and most dont escape it.

A lot of bands use really long riffs.

But I'd say Opeth were one of the first Metal bands to do this.

Though I'm sure a lot of early prog bands did this too, like Yes.

Emperor did it on their latest album, with very long and complex interchanging riffs between other riff patterns.

Anyway, I'm finally listening to Yayogakks song, and I am CUMMING MY PANTS.