About Opeth

I like Opeth, but only From Years 1995-1999 (Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms..., Still Life)...
I have Morningrise, and i'll buy My Arms, Your Hearse someday.

"My arms, your hearse" is the SOUND OF OPETH, definitely.
But also adore the previous two records.
Well, actually I like all their releases, but probably the first 3 records are my fave ones!

Opeth toured with Katatonia & Novembre - GOOODZZZ!!! - in November 2001, when was released "Blackwater Park" and Novembre had just published "Novembrine Waltz"; it was the tour for "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" for Katatonia, instead. The tour of my dreams... I hope they'll do it again, one day... you had to be there!

^ True, but after the experimental Damnation and some of the older fan's disgruntlement with Deliverance (and even BWP for some), the next album, in my opinion, is critical.

Opeth fucking own. I would not be a Katatonia fan if not for them, having heard so much praise for Kata from Mikael and the other Opeth guys. I do prefer Opeth a bit over Katatonia, although for a while I preferred Katatonia -- I suppose it changes depending on the mood, but I have liked Opeth for a lot longer, and I still don't get tired of listening to those albums. I don't think they've lost anything over time (though I don't think they'll ever top MAYH, though BWP came the closest to doing so). I have warmed up to Deliverance a lot lately, and Damnation too. I'm anxious to hear where they'll go next, but I hope it's not going to be 'doing something avant garde for the sake of being avant garde'. All their albums so far have had that great feeling in them, that strong emotion -- I just don't want them to get too 'prog-minded' and thus stale. But if, after seven albums, they have not done this yet (which to me they haven't), I don't suppose there's any reason to worry about it happening now.

\m/ OPETH and KATATONIA \m/

P.S. For the record, I'd really like to see Jonas do some guest vocals on an Opeth album. He's got such an expressive voice, so affecting.

Damnation is total awesomeness, best album of 2003.

At first I was quite disappointed by Deliverance, but piece by piece this album is also opening its beauty to me, "Deliverance" and "Master's Apprentice" are great songs!

Anyway, I'm a big Opeth fan, can't really say which one is my fave, it used to be Morningrise for years, but now I'm not so sure. I only know Still Life and MAYH will most likely never become my favourites..

If you like Damnation, I must urge you to check out BLACKFIELD, a project by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree), who, of course, produced BWP, Deliverance and Damnation..

Go to www.blackfield.org > Sound Clips, 1-minute samples from all songs on their debut album can be found there.

No one talks about Orchid in this thread...that was one real massive debut...still my fav. Opeth till' this day. Huge influence.

god I would have KILLED to see Novembre, Opeth and Katatonia on tour.

I liked Orchid a lot, but I think - and I seem to be putting myself in the minority here - for my money, Deliverance is their best album. Masters Apprentices and Deliverance were two standouts, and the live versions on the Lamentations DVD are awesome. They also got me into Katatonia, BTW :D

Opeth rules big time! My favourite record changes all the time, as they are all very strong. Unlike some of the others here, i really like BWP, D and D.

My favorite is BWP... for some private reasons :D
I think Opeth are really particular... they just have that something special!