AE's Nebula thread (samples, tests, etc)

The one and the same. How do you know me? Originals or forums?

Well I know you through the forums, but I remembered your name b/c I liked your originals. speaking of, have you ever recorded Ignis Fatuus. i love that song. I still occasionally bust out that midi file.

Reuploaded Sputnik's with a fixed volume. I also uploaded three more MD421 programs, since I fixed the volume issues.

If this is any indication of how large this shit's gonna be, I'm gonna need to consolidate that space up there, hah.

I've tried, but I'm really not that good of a guitarist. You can check out how far I got here -> http://www.myspoonistoobig.net/ignissofar4.mp3

I never tried after that. I suck, haha.

...yeah that's fucking sweet. I would finish that if i were you, but then again im not, and im not going to be the one who has to try to play and record that 13 min beast. im going go work with these samples now though, thanks.

what a coincidence though. tabit... lol

Woah, big thread. Thanks a heap for going through all of that.

I should mention that in Test 3 all 3 clips are clipping and on different volume levels.

I've been noticing that despite being a bit more fluid than the impulse, the Nebula samples consistently have a harsh top end. It's not as smooth and easy on the ear as the real deal. Wonder why that could be.

Woah, big thread. Thanks a heap for going through all of that.

I should mention that in Test 3 all 3 clips are clipping and on different volume levels.

I've been noticing that despite being a bit more fluid than the impulse, the Nebula samples consistently have a harsh top end. It's not as smooth and easy on the ear as the real deal. Wonder why that could be.

Can the harshness be rolled off or is it in the high mids?

Seems like it's in the high mids, within the tone. It could be due to the template. I've read somewhere that everything above 3rd order harmonics are perceived as not so pleasant by humans, so maybe it's a matter of adjusting the kernels. AE was running the cab really loud right? Could be Nebula coaxing some unpleasant saturation out of the power amp. That's just my layman's take on it.

Seems like it's in the high mids, within the tone. It could be due to the template. I've read somewhere that everything above 3rd order harmonics are perceived as not so pleasant by humans, so maybe it's a matter of adjusting the kernels. AE was running the cab really loud right? Could be Nebula coaxing some unpleasant saturation out of the power amp. That's just my layman's take on it.

I would bet your completely right about adjusting the kernels.

It would also be interesting to know what effect the output transformer has on the impulses and to what degree.

I'm also interested in hearing the difference between a solid state power amp and a tube power amp with the same mic position.

If nobody takes that one up before I'm able to join in on the fun I'll have to do it!

The unfortunate truth is that I'm just an amateur, so it is very likely that these things are busted in some way. I guess I wasn't paying attention. That said, I DO have the original files, so I could analyze them and check for clipping. Also, the way I did the SPUTNIK impulses (which are the best so far, IMO) was much faster and smaller than the big nasty bastards that are the MD421 and E906.

In the meantime, I've got a BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer fully sampled and Nebula'd out. Uploading now.

Did you use Francesco's new cabinet sampling template for the SPUTNIK impulses? Regarding the clipping check, it sounds like the clipping maybe digital, so it could be going on in your DAW rather than in the power amp. All 3 clips were clipping to varying degrees.

Did you use Francesco's new cabinet sampling template for the SPUTNIK impulses? Regarding the clipping check, it sounds like the clipping maybe digital, so it could be going on in your DAW rather than in the power amp. All 3 clips were clipping to varying degrees.

I did use his new session file. The clip light never came on with the Firestudio though, and I never hit even -3db on the input. So it couldn't have been with the sampling itself. It may just be that the JMP1 is a beast and clips at will.

Also keep in mind that I had to make several volume adjustments, because the impulse, the Nebula program, and the recording were at three VERY different volumes without adjusting anything. So it could be my fault that I just turned it up too loud. I'm not good at mixing.

Does anyone have any requests at all that they'd like to see filled? Perhaps a certain mic/cab combination? Or a piece of hardware? Be as descriptive as you can, and I can let you know what's up.

What do you have?

A lot. I work at a Guitar Center, and as part of the employee purchase/benefits policy, we can train ourselves on gear in stock outside of the store.

Our location doesn't have Krank, Diezel, Mesa, etc. The biggest and baddest in our location are the Marshalls, unfortunately. There are still quite a few flavors out there, though. Line 6, Egnater and Marshall have some V30 cabs. Not to mention, there may be some good in sampling out pedals and rack units. The BBE had a good result.