AFL Grand Final

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
I saw in the papers and on tv that Victorians are up in arms about there not being a Melbourne based team in the GF down there, are all the sports fans down there idiots? The headline on the paper down there was "Nightmare at the MCG", its like the AFL fans are this kid who want to take their bat and ball and go home now that they dont have their way.

Its funny, but also sad... Or have the papers overstated the angst down there over this (and I dont think they have considering even the Premier commented on it, our Premier wouldnt know a football if it was up him...)

Melbourne is a strange place.

Anyway, even though I think AFL is boring as hell usually, im going for the Brisbane Lions because I know if they win 4 in a row it will upset the traditionalists even more :)

No, apparently it is as bad as that. Xena reckons that most of the Melbourne people who have tickets either won't go, or they'll sell them. Some old Fitzroy fans might go along because the Lions are playing, but lots and lots of Victorian AFL fans just won't even bother watching. Pathetic, really, but AFL is a religion in Melbourne, so it's not that surprising.

They wont go after they paid for tickets? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats so awesome. Will there be any old guys interviewed on the tv who say its not right and back in their day football was better?

On a not related note, when are they going to throw the Bulldogs out of the NRL competition? Yet again their fans did something stupid yesterday. I have never seen a club in any game that is as rotten from the fans right through to the management as the Bulldogs.

There was a sizable Fitzroy contingent at the last three AFL grand finals, I believe. Quite happy to cheer on their old club.

Re the Bulldogs, I wonder how hard it will be for Steve Price to hide his sigh of relief when he gets to the airport in the next couple of months to go his new club. Then again, he IS going to the Warriors.

I don't think anyone really cares. I know I don’t. The game probably wont generate the excitement of a usual grand final in Melbourne, but that's got to be expected. The media are trying to make a story out of nothing – that said it’s the first time ever there hasn’t been a Victorian side in the final, so a bit of ‘pride’ has been lost.

spawn said:
They wont go after they paid for tickets? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats so awesome.
It's also not true. Tickets don't go on sale until the teams playing are known. (besides corporate seats).

Yeah, what Sydo said. It isn't that big of a deal.

Any AFL purists that would normally go to a grand final would be stupid to pass up the opportunity to watch the game on the principle that there isn't a Victorian team in it. Both Brisbane and Port Adelaide can be great to watch.

Brisbane may win their fourth in a row, but after this season their downward spiral will begin.

As for AFL being more boring than NRL, that is just absurd.

Strange that the AFL works differently to the NRL in the way tickets are sold. I bought my NRL grand final tickets the day they went on sale. Extra tickets obviously go on sale once the teams are decided, but only a few thousand.

Don't think so Gore. It's usually a line up on Sunday morning for when the seats go on sale on Monday morning sort of jobbie.

And I'm pretty sure it's a big deal in the press, because that's pretty much what they do, but I think among the regular population it's pretty much accepted that the best teams made it. Except those guys I know who support Geelong or St Kilda.

Geelong and St Kilda had amazing seasons. I'm really pumped for next year.
Go Cats! :headbang:

As a Geelong fan, I enjoyed this season, though the game on Saturday was very frustrating to watch. They almost had it, and possibly should have been the winners, but just couldn't get it on the scoreboard. They are a very young team though, and will be great to watch in coming years, which is the opposite to Brisbane, who as I said earlier, will start to fall apart from here on in.

well I'm a Port Adelaide fan and I'm bloody happy we got in.

Not confident about winning, but we finally made it the grand final which we should got to the last couple of years.

Strangely, my favourite player is Brett Kirk and boy did he go well in the Brownlow this year! Damn proud of him, I was.

Considering I picked him as my favourite player because I watching a Sydney match 3 or 4 years ago and noticed his last name was Kirk. as in Hammett. Kinda sad really... but he's a star now! :D