After a week of learning to growl...

Jan 30, 2006
ok i started trying to growl last monday. and NO this is not an audition, i'm 16 and i just wanted you to tell me what if i'm doing ok. this is one weeks progress and e attempting to do one part of cry my name. i recorded this with my mp3 player so it sounds bad. i know tht i didn't put enough power behind the vocals but i have been commented on my voice. so let me know what you think of one weeks progress :D

http://www.freewebs.com/rageagainstthemawchine/Cry%20My%20Name%20-%20me.wav

A week!?!?!?!?... I spend 6 years of my life improving my growls, and just now I can say "Yeah... I'm a Death metal vocalist"...

Keep practicing

yeah i never said i was a death metal vocalist i done this for the banter cos my gf told me i was good and i didn't believe her lol but thanks for checkin it anyway. i do plan to keep practicin for a good long while tho lol

lol, yeah it sounds really distant as i done it on my zen micro lmao. and no its an attempt at growling theres times where i can do it right and then it slips and sounds terrible. but yeah thanks for your comments i personally pissed myself laughing at it.

I think you really need to use more air dude. This whispering is no good since you can't really tell if you can growl or not. You really have to push air up from your gut and just let it rip. I'm a pretty loud growler so when I growl it's more like screaming my ass off. Not the best method though, since the vocal chords get messed up after a while if you do it wrong. I still get pains in my throat sometimes, mostly when I try some really crazy sounds or some deeper/higher growls than I normally do.

Anyway, keep it up and get a place where you can scream all you like without being impeded or bothered by anyone else. To me it sounds like you're whispering cuz you don't want your mom in the next room to hear you scream like a moron ;)

Nefilim said:
I think you really need to use more air dude. This whispering is no good since you can't really tell if you can growl or not. You really have to push air up from your gut and just let it rip. I'm a pretty loud growler so when I growl it's more like screaming my ass off. Not the best method though, since the vocal chords get messed up after a while if you do it wrong. I still get pains in my throat sometimes, mostly when I try some really crazy sounds or some deeper/higher growls than I normally do.

Anyway, keep it up and get a place where you can scream all you like without being impeded or bothered by anyone else. To me it sounds like you're whispering cuz you don't want your mom in the next room to hear you scream like a moron ;)
thanks man. yeah my growls today have been pretty good i could post a recordin of me just making random noises if you want, i was reading and growling at the same time which made it weird and yeah my dad was in the next room sleeping cause he was in hospital earlier that day lmao so i was being quiet. was also listening closely to mike on the cd so i didn't make an arse of the timing haha

infact i just done some random growling right at the mic and it still sounded like whispering altho it wasnt cos my throat is now burning lmao. so once i get my mates pc mic i'll do a better recording

no its not cos i can tell i am real loud but the mic either picks my voice up quietly or it distorts like fuck. thats why am gonna use a proper mic

SchwarzeFlamme said:
@beer.. and so on: you should learn to really growl ^^ this doesn't sound like growls i think,i practice it too and at the beginning my sound was the same as yours ^^ if you learn more und regular you will find out how it works to growl

here an example of me: http://rapidshare.de/files/12812155/sfu-tnt.mp3.html
this is pretty cool man. your growls sound kick ass. i can almost do this similair to yours, but i'm currently practicing "no remorse" the cannibal corpse cover of it anyway. so in a few days i might put it up to let you hear

yeah i can assure you i'm not whispering trust me. i do need to work on my power behind my voice but this is the first vocal style i have ever tried and i've only been doing it for a week

when i started to growl i tried tnt of sfu 50 times in a row on the first day!
i also tried cannibal corpse's hammer smashed face,but this is too fast for me ^^

Beer: GO LOUDER. You ARE whispering, trust me. It's apparent if you listen. I used to try to growl like that...it doesn't work. You need a bit more force. Just keep practicing, with the mic, and listen to what sounds good and what doesn't. Go from there.

My growls, after about a year of work:

http://media.putfile.com/Dechristianizevocals2

Chorus parts to Dechristianize by Vital Remains (ignore the high screams, I half-assed them).

One thing here that people really need to work on is articulation. I know a lot of people don't care about the lyrics, but still it's nice to hear actual words in the song and not just "ruff-ruff-ruff-grrrrruuurrgghh". It can be a bit tricky to get good articulation when doing deep growls, but we all know how to talk so it's only a matter of concentration and training to get the articulation better. Personally, I'm really tired of all bands where you can't hear a shit worth of lyrics in the vocals. Sure, every death bands is more or less unintelligible but look at Bloodbath or Opeth or Edge of Sanity for example. Those bands have really brutal vocals yet are reasonably easy to decipher... So think about that if you wanna sound good when growling. Just my 2 cents :)