After a week of learning to growl...

Deadlift said:
6 years? damn..you must really suck. :D

I have studies... so when I start to study I realize that yes... I can growl, but that doesn't means that I'm an educated singer... So it took me 6 years to learn almost everything about all this (growls etc etc etc), That's why!.

Now I know different techniques to sing... And I have my own style :D

Actually, the shriek at the start might be something to work from. At least there you seem to have a bit more power behind it so it doesn't sound like whispering. It's not death, but you could be on your way to blackish vocals there...

Try standing in your room and press record without any music in the background. Place the mic on your desk or whatever and just let it record. Then you just scream all you can, like you're really angry or frustrated. Don't bother with words or lyrics, just scream, growl, cry out and try different pitches. Stand a meter or so away from your mic and scream as loud as you can, don't try to make it sound any special way at first, just let "your" scream come out. Preferrably do it when you're alone in the house so you're not hampered by the fact that your family will brand you as insane and put you away in an institution. ;)

If you try this, please post the file here so we can hear what basic character your voice has. Then we can discuss your progress from there!

Keep it up! You still have many years ahead of you to become a great death vocalist :D

thanks Nefilim i'll do some random shouting whenever my family isn't around lol. its easier than reading and concentrating but there is times when i can do it properly. and about the shrieks i done an ok one in my attempt at stripped raped and strangled in the chorus part. so if you add me to msn: beerfuelledbassplayer@hotmail.co.uk i'd be happy to send you it.

From what I can hear, you're using too much air when screaming. You have to work more with your stomach to get an even airflow so the growls come out more.... growlish. :)

I think you will find your style in a little while, but right now I can definitely hear that you are young, and therefore your vocal chords aren't entirely capable of producing the sounds you want. You will probably achieve it with training though, since some of your screams are getting close to death vox. Especially at 30 seconds you have some deeper growls that are on the right way. You still use your vocal chords too much however, since you can clearly hear tones in your growls, but this is probably also due to you being young.

My advice: Become older and practice a lot ;) Be careful though since your chords can take permanent damage if you growl "wrong".

well i hope he isnt referring to puberty then lol. because europeans (excluding english) all mature faster than everyone else. but yeah my mic is def affecting how i sound btw because i hooked up a computer mic and i'm sounding a lot better al make a recording, if you had msn it would be a lot easier tho lol

mylovedenied said:
Beer: GO LOUDER. You ARE whispering, trust me. It's apparent if you listen. I used to try to growl like that...it doesn't work. You need a bit more force. Just keep practicing, with the mic, and listen to what sounds good and what doesn't. Go from there.

My growls, after about a year of work:

http://media.putfile.com/Dechristianizevocals2

Chorus parts to Dechristianize by Vital Remains (ignore the high screams, I half-assed them).

thats pretty kick ass

VITAL REMAINS \m/

Dechristianize is one of my favorite albums

Nefilim said:
I sure hope he doesn't, cause you should definitely *not* damage your chords. If you do, you can say goodbye to growling.

I obviously didn't mean wreck you vocal cords. I mean, you have to pass a certain threshold. It's like when you just start working out, you get sore, and you have to overcome that first hump. Then you start experimenting.

I only now heard your screaming and i agree with Nefilim, not enough gut. But believe me, with time you'll start getting it. lol, i heard a cd of when i first started growling and it was the funiest thing i ever heard :Spin: You can't expect to be good right away, so just keep at it.