Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Although everyone says make your voice box go down to get a deeper sound, I really don't understand how to do this.

Alright well I saw the latest and the Early Man ones and you are definitely doing it wrong. I don't really know how to describe it but you are basically modifying your speaking voice a little and that's it. It's not really much of a growl. You definitely need to find a way to get more power and change your voice. Do you know how to sing in general? Clean singing I mean.

Also I found these and they are pretty good, you may have seen them. His cited influences are not my style but he is good at explaining some aspects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I can clean vocal sing quite well to be honest like I can sing the fire burns (CM punks old song) if you know WWE, to be completely honest I think I'm one of those few that can't growl.

What's the longest you guys can hold a decent sounding scream, and how about deeper growl? I only ask because I wanted to test myself, and I think I need to work on my breathing a bit more, I feel like maybe there are times I am using too much diaphragm/power and losing endurance. I can hold a good sounding mid-deep growl for about 10 seconds and a high scream for a little bit longer (maybe 13 seconds at the most). I do not understand how there are people holding this for 30-45 seconds (admittedly they don't always sound great by my tastes, but they are not shitty sounding either).

The part that IS bothering me is that I remember testing this way back and getting longer results. Now I know in most situations this is not necessary, but sometimes a really great held scream/growl can be awesome for certain parts of a song. Most importantly though, to me it's a big part of having better control over your voice to be able to hold a powerful sounding note.

Fucking Necrobump.

For fucks sakes Jocke! :lol:

It's not a huge issue I just want to be better at consistent held growls, I suck ass at it sometimes (quality varies). I guess I should have said that I can hold my growls about that long but it doesn't always sound awesome all the way through, I have to start changing how I growl the longer I go. Like starting low and getting higher to keep the volume. I think it's a control issue. Same as sometimes during really fast songs I sometimes get downright lightheaded in order to keep up. haha.

Example. I tried to do this song. I thought I was going to die by the end. :lol:

I'm not very good at doing growls fast like Corpsegrinder n' shit. I haven't timed any growls or screams, and I haven't really been practicing at all lately, but I'll give it a go soon and let you know. I'm pretty fit now from being a mover, but then again I smoke quite a bit so it's probably a bit of a trade off. Last time I growled they sounded super evil.

my growls are so weird. like, i have a pretty light voice, but i can't do high screams for shit without losing my voice if i go on for too long :p dark growls are np, actually my highest growls without starting to scream is about stefan's darkest, haha

i've been growling since 2004 or something, and i've never been able to do long screams/growls or fast stuff like dustin was talking about. any tips on increasing your stamina?

tumblr_inline_mn7u3h2s1w1qz4rgp.jpg

my growls are so weird. like, i have a pretty light voice, but i can't do high screams for shit without losing my voice if i go on for too long :p dark growls are np, actually my highest growls without starting to scream is about stefan's darkest, haha

i've been growling since 2004 or something, and i've never been able to do long screams/growls or fast stuff like dustin was talking about. any tips on increasing your stamina?

I guess that's kind of what I am trying to figure out too. With your vocals my guess is that it's hard to hold because you go so low. When I go to my lowest I lose a lot of endurance as well, I usually try to offset it but changing how I project the growl. I lose a little bit of the depth but it sounds more powerful and I can hold it longer.

I guess my only immediate solution here is to get back into a housing situation where I can practice regularly again and work on some kind of breathing exercises. I don't build up my lung capacity beforehand, I should make that part of my warmup. Right now I only get to do vocals like once every 3 months so yeah that's not helping

Since I logged in to bash new Bloodbath track why not posting some shit on other threads too.

Im not the best person to give advices on high growls, but recently im trying a new technique. When going into higher growls i change the vocal style if you know what I mean. At first it sounded bad, but after few months of practice I was able to make the transition cleaner. Next month when im back home I can record some shit to better explain what i mean. In the meantime i can post last thing I recorded like half year ago just before trying to improve my highs.
https://soundcloud.com/aexalven/master-pp2
At around 1:20-1:25 the word "deeper" is the highest growl I could achieve with this technique without sound like shit or farting old man.

@edit fuck soundcloud, reupluading it to youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3W8gYMkAZY

Testing new gear, so far im satisfied, but the cover is fail cos i did it in 1 go, so fuck it

Also, windows movie maker for win7 is cancer so I couldnt cut the 10sec silence in the beginning.

finally bought Shure SM58 and im quite happy with the purchase

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY613tv3uKg&list=UUwaAETOxLeoxgQ2ct82hiuQ[/ame]

Normally im not a fan of so much reverb, but was trying to get closer to the original