Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Nightmares Made Flesh

It's easy MMKAY!
Aug 5, 2005
Purgatory
So I got into Opeth about two or three years ago, which lead to the discovery of Bloodbath. Since then, I have delved even further into the realm of death metal, and I am absolutely hooked on this genre.

I have been trying to find ways to construct a deep death metal growl, and I just cannot do it. People constantly say to "use your stomach" for the best results, but apparently that is something that is easier said than done, as I just can't seem to pin this technique down. I try, I try to push air as hard as I can, but apparently I'm doing something wrong, because I always end up with a sore throat instead, and really nothing worthwhile to show for it. I realize you're not supposed to use your throat, but although I try not to, I always end up doing so anyway.

What are some tips you guys can give me? I have listened to all of the audition tapes that you people have posted, and it is depressing as hell that I cannot achieve that level of skill. Am I trying too hard, am I not trying hard enough? What am I doing wrong, and what am I not doing right?

i am still confused as to whether you're supposed to use your throat AT ALL or not. From pushing air, there is no sound except the air whooshing. I've been trying to learn for a couple months now but am not getting any better.
help6rd.gif

man the best way to figure out what "voice" you have to use for the job, its best to get in a band an experiment, it took me a good while to figure how to scream propperly, ppl think you use your throat to scream, but thats shit because your sposed to bellow it out, naturally distorting your voice because of the volume. as for growls i do a combination of my throat and from my diaphragm, but man you just figure it out when your jamming with a death metal band, its the best way to practise!!

rich :)

Just experiment a lot! Keep trying new things, go higher and lower, louder and softer, and just mess around a lot. I got lucky, whenever I hear a growl I know how to do it, even if I physically can't. It's hard to explain - but just mess around, and do it a lot, and you'll get better.

I remember when I first got into the more "extreme" metal bands, I was fascinated with the growls and the screams that the vocals produced. Unfortunately it seemed impossible to reproduce their skills and my screams sounded like some awful "throathy shreiky" :D sounds, and there was nothing but air coming outr when I wanted to growl. I know I haven't read any tips on how to do it, I just tried and tried and in time it came to me. I think I have reached almost the maximum of my growling abbilities. The only thing I can do now is improve my breathing technique and stamina.

Thanks for the feedback

Just curious, is it normal to feel light-headed sometimes after performing a growl? It seems I sometimes attempt to use too much air, and then get really dizzy afterwards and feel like I'm going to crash. I suppose this is probably just part of the learning process, hopefully I can get past this.

Nightmares Made Flesh said:
Thanks for the feedback

Just curious, is it normal to feel light-headed sometimes after performing a growl? It seems I sometimes attempt to use too much air, and then get really dizzy afterwards and feel like I'm going to crash. I suppose this is probably just part of the learning process, hopefully I can get past this.

No, that's normal. I get that after growling for more than about 10 or 15 minutes.

well, i don't know if i'm doing my growls the way it used to be
but, in the beginning i had after few minutes of growling pain in my throat
now, i have that pain only after a long time. and after e time a sore troath like you say

a good, "professional" growl, is that only sound from the stomach? or air from the stomach en sound from the back of your troath?

and the only 'growl' i can make is a death metal growl :s i can't growl at any other way, not even like (let's just say) slipknot..

Play your favourite death metal tunes as loud as you can, and then fuckin' sing along. It will come.

Bertovo said:
Play your favourite death metal tunes as loud as you can, and then fuckin' sing along. It will come.

most people say that you may not overload your troath..

and i can't seem to grunt high, if i go high its like another part of my troath i use to sing and after a short time it hurts

badbrad said:
listen to bears. then try to duplicate...

yeah i know
but i just think it will need just more time

and the tutorial wasn't really something new to me, but it washed away the things i was unsure about :D