Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

BastardSonOfGod said:
Don't scream, use the back of your troath... like a deep growl, that takes a lot of practice... and after every song drink cold water... learn techniques to warm up your troath too... That helps a lot!

well, if u scream it's from the front of your troath
but it's all about practising and stretching voice

lol omg u guys help me pleeease i got this problem where my voice is sometimes able to allow me to make a decent growl and the other half the of the time i sound lik some french guy trying to sing like metalica,it happens randomly and i cant hel;p it plz someone tell me wut im doing rong :(((((((( lol i made this like 1 hour ago itz kinda crummy lol http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ZRAIZ1194KVH3FRBBPMX9IGK7

OMG! Thats the funniest thing i've ever heard! Your growls are awsome, but yeah.....it's hilarious because your description of a french guy trying to sing metallica is eerily acurate.....Are you serious that your voice just changes from one to the other? On the recording it sounds like it was done on purpose....

lol, your growl is indeed very nice
and like flal says, it's just like that's its done on prupose
..FREAKING WEIRD
but no, i don't know a solution

btw, how do you guys do that?
putting your voice on a song?

Zygote said:
will growing alot damage your chords? I am 15 and i think their not even fully devolped yet lol.

It will damage them a little bit no matter what, but if you do it properly the damage is limited, however if done from the back of the throat, it will ruin your voice after awhile.

PhlegethonVeins said:
Haha and I just noticed you said beer too. Erm. Alcohol of any sort is not good for your growl, and you shouldnt even growl at all after having a decent amount of it. Doing so is not good for your voice.

Bah, I've been growling with beer for a long time, and it's actually one of the best drinks in my experience, gives the growl just what it needs for me, but by all means use the tea, beer is more.... metal imo. You just don't bring tea with honey on stage, it just doesn't fit, but a sixpack of beer, works like a charm, voice or not.

Flal said:
This kind of growling doesn't sound as good tho, i like the full force growl....altho doesn't mikael growl like this? If so, he's the only one i've heard that can pull it off properly. I've heard to many people do it and they suck

i'm almost 100% sure he growls like this... i can do it too, and it allows me to cover a wide range (as Mikael too), of course it takes a lot of practice, but once you can handle it, you can do it without much effort

Ethelion said:
This is me growling. First real recording i've done yet.

http://www.facefront.com/demo.php?id=261&slot=2
i didn't write the lyrics so don't judge me :D
The refrain is what I like the most. We didn't have much time in the studio, so it's not as "tight" as i would have wanted it to be.

and this is another one
http://www.facefront.com/demo.php?id=261&slot=1
didn't write the lyrics for that one either. =)

Hey man,

The music is ok but your deeps are fucking sick!!! Do you do the silent growl or is it loud? It sounds great! Can you do any highs? Keep it up man :headbang:

Dseven said:
i'm almost 100% sure he growls like this... i can do it too, and it allows me to cover a wide range (as Mikael too), of course it takes a lot of practice, but once you can handle it, you can do it without much effort

Do you have a recording of it? And how do you do it live? Like it really isn't loud

Sure why not. Id love if my local parish priest started doin a bit of gruff at the top of the church, might be a reason to go or something.

"This is the body and blood of CHRIST!"

I bought the dvd Zen Of screaming, not because I needed the Growl training, but for the Breathing excercise and maintenance of the voice, In the end I found a good growling excercise too, you mainly just jump up and down and growl either the alphabet or just 1 -20. Sound rather ridiculous but it´s both a good way tho warm up your voice (but do ordinary warming excercices before) and you train your growl!!!!

Good luck
(btw excuse my bad english)

Qth said:
This might help
http://xscenesterx.org/Tony_Bullard_-_Metal_Vocal_Tutorial.mp3

EDIT: Ok just to clear som shit up, this isnt me! I cant growl at all! Just found the clip online and thought it might help a few newbies. :dopey:

Hmmm this is NOT at all the way i thought you were supposed to do when you growl.
That´s the version that fucking hurts, that sounds like the way immortal does it or something.
Anyways.... for me, that burns like hell in my throath:hotjump:

The way i do it is more thightening in my diaphragma and then let the growl come from somewhere in my throath. Takes more effort than the thing he does in the clip..... that just sound fucked up.
When i do it my way it doesn´t hurt at all, feels kinda good actually.

Hmmm, you know when you wake up in the mornin and give yourself a nice stretch? And go like "Ahhhh".... yea, thats more of the tecnique i use.... but whatevvah:err:

I dunno man, i like the way he does it (i honestly would like tony bullard to be the new bloodbath vocalist lol). You have to constantly do it soi that your voice gets used to it. You have to "break it" then it comes naturally and sounds fucking awsome =) The most important to get a nice gutteral growl is to lose all tonality.

there seems to be several different ways to do aggresive vocals... like.

screaming - like jens in meshuggah, or kurt cobain... you know (hurts a litle, but feels good at the same time)
growling - like åkerfeldt... just feels damn good, sounds good
grunting - like that christian dude, or dani filth when he tries to do that deep shit or maybe dan swanö on moontower.... it can sound amazing but,... it hurts?

o_O

Flal said:
I dunno man, i like the way he does it (i honestly would like tony bullard to be the new bloodbath vocalist lol). You have to constantly do it soi that your voice gets used to it. You have to "break it" then it comes naturally and sounds fucking awsome =) The most important to get a nice gutteral growl is to lose all tonality.

hmmm, yeah well i don´t wanna break my voice, i´m sort of a wuz i guess:Spin:

lol, thats the only way to get good man: practice and experience. After 3 months my death metal sounded prime....after quitting my band i lost it tho, so now i'm in the process of re-breaking it. It hurts and you lose your voice but after like a month you're fine and you belt out sickening growls

bogii said:
there seems to be several different ways to do aggresive vocals... like.

screaming - like jens in meshuggah, or kurt cobain... you know (hurts a litle, but feels good at the same time)
growling - like åkerfeldt... just feels damn good, sounds good
grunting - like that christian dude, or dani filth when he tries to do that deep shit or maybe dan swanö on moontower.... it can sound amazing but,... it hurts?

o_O

hey do us all a favor by never bringing up kurt "whinny" cobain up again, thx:Spin: