Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

that's the technique i am using. you really just need to get the hang of it first, and don't try to actually growl at once, just try finding the "sigh" and work around that. i basically just started out practising "oooh"'s and "aaah"'s and worked from there.

Hmm but when I sigh I just a normal sigh no matter how hard I try also I tried the clearing your throat technique and my throat hurts like hell now, I've been trying since I was 15

That second one doesn't show up it's not a proper youtube url..

But yeah you don't seem to be using the right part of your throat to get the "sigh" you're looking for. I personally did not learn using that method but it seems to help a lot of people get started. I myself actually started by doing wwhat I could best describe as "Viking Warcries", sort of a deep bellowing yell:lol:. I'm not sure that is a good way to learn for most people, probably a bad way honestly but I have a strong voice so it never hurt much, and eventually I found a balance between volume and sound. Exactly what kind of growl are you looking to achieve? Like give a band for an example.

My first impressions are that you need to be using a lower register to get more of the gutteral element in there, right now it sounds like you are using the wrong part of your throat for a proper growl. You should try just using your normal voice and talking with a deeper tone, just normal talking but make your voice deeper. See if you can sort of feel what part of your throat you are using and see if you can combine that with the sigh technique. For me if I do this there is a bit of a "gurgle" sound added on top of my lowered voice. I guess if you can get that far you could probably start to extend it and learn how to get new sounds like Darkgift said with the Ohhh and Ahhh sounds. It's also worth notic a good growl doesn't have to be particularly loud. It should be above a speaking voice for sure or you will lack power but finding a good balance is very important. You can sound loud without actually using the full force of your voice.

You might need to use more force in the sigh as well. I'm not saying you should start yelling (that would be the wrong direction for now) I just mean use more of your diaphragm and sort of force more power into your voice. A decent deep/mid growl should feel like a combination of using your diaphragm/gut and your throat combined. If it does start to hurt or anything though definitely stop. Give you voice a rest and try again when it feels better. Once you start finding the proper sounds you should learn how to do it without hurting your voice at all but finding that range takes time for most.

That said you are definitely in the right place for loads of tips but you will have to do some digging if you have the patience. This thread used to be very active so there was a constant supply of feedback but not so much anymore so you have to look back, but it's worth it in my opinion. This thread has produced quite a few kickass growlers. For the sake of encouragement and spam I'll post my vocals (and a couple others). When I started I sucked ass but I learned a shitload here, and I know several others that can say the same.

My growls:

Stefan86/Darkgift:

Darkgift:

Emeticgore who no longer posts here:

Yeah that last part was a little bit much maybe, but I thought I'd share some success stories in case you think of giving up :lol:. You said you started trying when you were 15, how old are you now?

Again you should provide some examples of the style vocals you want, because there are different techniques.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I wasnt expecting any replies :rofl: and very useful tips but my throat hurts when I swallow also I wanna sound like cannibal corpse or like his pitch anyway, I am now 17 but I gave up when I was 16 cos the same reason I can't do it today and that's the sigh part