Age, Location, Metal

This is one of the points that Richard Dawkins makes in his book and it utterly amazes me. Living in a country where religion is a lot less prominent than it is in the US (and that unlike the US actually does have proper separation of Church and state) it is nearly impossible for me to even imagine how simply saying that you do not believe in god is that unconventional.

In a poll conducted in 1999, the outcome was that American voters were more likely to vote for a Jew, a woman, a black person and even a homosexual than they would be to vote for a person who publicly admitted to be an atheist.

So purely speaking in terms of emancipation (black people's rights, women's rights and gay rights) in today's American society, outspoken atheists appear to actually be behind the aforementioned groups in terms of being accepted. Absolutely staggering. Though it does immediately explain why so few people in America seem to speak up when Bush delivers a speech in which he claims to be doing things in the name of God. If you did that here in the Netherlands you should see the newspapers the next day. Which by the way is not to say that The Netherlands is a godless country by any means, the current parliament is made up of two Christian parties and our prime-minister is a Christian.

That is the problem with alot of these problem areas. In particular the Middle East... no separation of Church and State. As for the U.S., unfortunately with Bush there was no separation of Church and State. The Christian right wing helped him get elected so in essence he owed them favors which in turn is a conflict of interest imo.

On a side note I would vote for a Atheist... I personally vote for the Democrat candidate but if that candidate was a atheist I would not have a problem with that... it's a Republican voter who would have the problem... that should be made clear...

16 3 days ago, Hampshire UK, I'd say 7 or 8 years for Metal and heavy rock and probably around 4 years for "extreme" Metal.

27, Canada, been listening to metal since and justice for all... so 19 years of metal already.

i must say i'm kinda bored of metal nowadays, everything feels the same.

27, Canada, been listening to metal since and justice for all... so 19 years of metal already.

i must say i'm kinda bored of metal nowadays, everything feels the same.

Exactly how I feel. Most of the 'new' stuff I listen to is just new albums from older bands or older bands I've never heard before. I honestly can't think of a single band form the last 10 years or so that I'm really into.

well it was the first one i bought but i also heard the previous, don't worry :p

And Justice For All isn't a bad album at all jezzzz...

25 South Africa 10 years

Oh, and while we are on religion and stuff, I am a Christian.

Omg wow I never ever ever thought there would be metalheads in South Africa much less a metalhead in Africa who speaks english. I'm christian also welcome to the forums (I'm grounded from the welcoming forums):).

^:lol: Blue Jay, you're not grounded, you're banned. But with some good deeds maybe you'll be the moderator of that forum Blue jay. :lol: :)

Oooooo yeaaa I'd be an awesome moderator for the welcoming forums I'd like to do that sooo much!! GET YOUR BUTT ON MSN DEREK I LOVE YOU AND I WANT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT KICK ASS DEATH METAL lol.

Apparently you don't know a whole lot about South Africa.

Nay I don't, I just never thought people from Africa would listen to metal I thought they were all tribal and jazz music there.

Nay I don't, I just never thought people from Africa would listen to metal I thought they were all tribal and jazz music there.

My god that is a generalized statement.

South Africa is pretty much a colony of white people who forced the African population to integrate, so I don't think jazz or tribal music is too prominent in their musical culture.

My god that is a generalized statement.

South Africa is pretty much a colony of white people who forced the African population to integrate, so I don't think jazz or tribal music is too prominent in their musical culture.

don't bother, Blue Jay is an assclown.

the fact that South Africa supported apartheid for so long sickened me. just a rich white minority bossing the black majority around. it was disgusting.

Oooooo I didn't know that. Why didn't the colony of white people move back to America though I mean Africa is a much poorer country.

Were you lobotomized at some point or something?

And the "white people" didn't come from America. The people who colonized South Africa were Europeans, mainly the Dutch and the British. Afrikaans is actually a language that still has a lot of Dutch in it (in the sense that when I hear someone speak it I can usually vaguely understand what they are saying).