Akerfeldt and Gilmore . . . .

I am also surprised at people bashing Gilmour. If you can't hear what a fantastic, tasteful and inventive guitarist he is even though he's not 20 (and why does that matter exactly?), then I wonder about YOUR musicality. It's okay to say you don't enjoy his playing as it's not to your taste, but a "huge douche"?..that's really clever.

[KOTNO]Narrot;7082342 said:
that statement gives me pains. best album of the last 4 years? it has a few good moments but the rest is all boring. i adore the first pink floyd records but the newer stuff is just meh ... and gilmour is not 20 anymore ...

agreed, I bought the album but.. there are like 3 good songs.

Wow. David Gilmour is an incredible guitarist. Even if you don't like Pink Floyd or any of his solo material, I don't see how you can think differently. Perhaps lack of familiarity with what he does. Obviously he doesn't shred, but anything he plays sounds great, like the emotion he can put into his bands and such. I can play tons of his solos.... but they don't sound the way he plays them.

He isn't my favorite guitarist, but definitely on the top 10. Maybe even closer to the top 5.

Thank you. You are cool and I agree with everything you have just said

Pink Floyd > Opeth

Haha, thanks man. And to those of you who are concerned about his age, my suggestion would be to check out the version of Echoes he does on the Pompeii DVD and compare it to the version on the 'Remember That Night' DVD that came out recently. You'll probably come to realize that he is still the fucking man after all these years.

^ Yeah seriously Gilmour rocks it out on "Remember that Night" and to say he's not 20 anymore? so, who gives a fuck, we all age. And if you listen to him on "Remember that Night" I think he's actually become a BETTER GUITARIST since his younger days!!! On An Island only has 3 good songs? whatever that whole albums is the shit

Gilmour doesn't want anything to do with the metal genre? Didn't he solo on the latest PT album?

edit: not insinuating that PT is straight up metal, but they have been heavier in more recent albums.

edit: nevermind.

Yeah, it was Fripp. Well actually, it was Alex Lifeson who soloed, Fripp did some atmospheric guitar work in the beginning of one of the songs. Anyone who talks ill of Gilmour as a guitarist just doesnt know what a good guitarist is, I'd have to say. Say what you will about him personally (as if anyone actually knows him), but when it comes to guitar work he's historic and pretty much an adjective of his own when it comes to style.

A collaboration between Mike and Gilmour almost certainly wouldn't have anything to do with metal anyway, so Mike's being in metal bands shouldn't even be a factor.

Anyway, if this collab ever did happen it would be absolutely stunning, no doubt. Two genius guitarists and songwriters working together...it would be a masterpiece!

pink floyd is not necessarily better than opeth Vivoren, maybe pink floyd reached a higher popularity, but as far as the music is concerned, one is not so obviously "better" than the other

I guess it would be pretty cool if Gilmore listened to Opeth, and if he collaborated. But I highly doubt he knows Opeth and he doesn't have much involvement in music anymore. After division he pretty much did nothing until the recent On an Island, which I liked, wasn't great or anything. Both are amongst my favorite bands but imo everything between Saucerfull until Meddle was pretty mediocre. Meddle through animals is my favorite. Albums after animals are ok, nothing great imo. As to which band is better thats a really hard question for me as Floyd were my favorite childhood band, and Opeth are my favorite band now as an adult. But I have wondered if any of my childhood bands members are into Opeth, people like lifeson, mcartney, ian anderson, gilmore, jimmy page, fripp....the list goes on. As does the list of current popular musicians like Thom yorke or Omar Rodriguez-Lopez; I wonder if they are into Opeth? Who knows. I remember thinking in 2000 when people hardly knew who Opeth were this band won't stay a secret forever, they will find a much larder audience who digs their sound, so who knows maybe they will reach a level where some of these guys become aware of them. I think we can hope for collaborations more at there level of popularity rather than hugely popular people like Gilmore. I remember thinking recently I wonder if Mike and Ihsahn will collaborate; and they have so I'm hoping for more collaborations at that level. Plus I also doubt Gilmore would be into Metal; and Opeth are a "metal" band so this makes it even more unlikely he knows them as well. They are marketed and represented as one so even if he had heard of them I doubt he would even imagine that it also included a lot of prog influences, the metal aspects would turn him away I would think. Someone send him Damnation in a fan letter haha.

imo everything between Saucerfull until Meddle was pretty mediocre.
Nigga please.

The period inbetween Saucerful Of Secrets and Obscured By Clouds is the best and most interesting one in PF's career. I never cared for neither Syd Barret nor the bloated, overproduced, pretentios stadium rock crap Roger Waters steered them into from Dark Side Of The Moon and onwards.

You're an epic failure.