Albums currently displeasing your ass

2148.jpg

This is basically fucking Pantera worship played with tube amps and if Phil Anselmo actually sang instead of did his junk-head screams mixed with weird Alice in Chains vibes. The fact that anyone enjoys this or thinks that Judas Priest made worse albums seriously needs to re-evaluate what they like about heavy metal music.

Reactions: The Butt and CiG
Sounds way too dissonant and proggy to be cool. Trying too hard to be weird for the sake for being weird is never a good idea.

But I've never been much of a Voivod fan so IDFK.

Sounds pretty damn good to me, should check that EP out eventually. When it started it felt a little retrospective, like the rhythms themselves were largely out of a standard speed/thrash/metalpunk playbook, but as it went on it actually seemed more dynamic riff-wise than even their classic stuff (though the drumming was unfortunately kind of rigid). Probably cuz of the new guitarist. Voivod isn't really a riff-count kind of band of course but the spooky bridge section sounded fresh for them as well.

I need to listen to Target Earth more often as well tbh.

2148.jpg

This is basically fucking Pantera worship played with tube amps and if Phil Anselmo actually sang instead of did his junk-head screams mixed with weird Alice in Chains vibes. The fact that anyone enjoys this or thinks that Judas Priest made worse albums seriously needs to re-evaluate what they like about heavy metal music.

Jugulator is bad, but Demolition is terrible. Just survived both albums back to back. If I never hear them again, it will be too soon. Not a good, let alone great song between the two records. Even the lauded Cathedral Spires is mediocre at best...

Reactions: CiG
There was nothing to distinguish any song from the other one. It's the same open note chug riffs with slower choruses. Some bands can do that just fine, but not here with Priest.

In high school I had this thing with my parents that when I did all my homework for X days (i forget the length of time) they'd buy me an album of my choice. I had heard some JP classics on the radio and Breaking the Law on Beavis and Butthead and so I asked for a JP album one time. They bought me the latest one which was Jugulator. Oh god it was such garbage, even back then. That was my first JP album and I thought so poorly of them for awhile. Until one day I went to visit an uncle who was swearing off of metal, and gave me his old school JP and Black Sabbath collections. Thank goodness for that.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
I'm lazy about buying EPs. Haven't even bought the Watchtower EP yet and that one I promised to upon release. I actually got Target Earth near release and it took me like 2 years to finally open the thing. Having an MP3 library has made me so damn lazy.

There was nothing to distinguish any song from the other one. It's the same open note chug riffs with slower choruses. Some bands can do that just fine, but not here with Priest.

Pantera started Power Metal and heard Slaughter in The Vatican, combined the extremity of thrash and power metal inventing a hybrid, like hybrid dogs, tesla, a new musical progression, Groove Metal. Judas Priest did it all for the cookies, chicks with dicks drag queens, Turbo lazer beams, melting metal making liquid terminators. legends. Halford 'The Metal God', Ram it Down.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
Okay, it's not BAD but based off my expectations formed from the amazing Ego Dominus Tuus & Akhlys... This is rather meh.

I've only listened a couple times but I like it. It's overlong but most of Nightbringer's stuff is, I suppose.

I bought a record from a band I've never heard only because the manager's description sticker sounded awesome...lo and behold, Recreant's self titled album was angsty garbage. Worst 12.50 I've spent.

I bought a record from a band I've never heard only because the manager's description sticker sounded awesome...lo and behold, Recreant's self titled album was angsty garbage. Worst 12.50 I've spent.
Wait, was that a 2013 release? I recall hearing an album titled that that and it was awful.