Albums currently displeasing your ass

e105c4914f8f.jpg

In the first place I don't like vocalists that try to sound like Ozzy; I think it's jarring because he's such a distinctive vocalist that no one would ever accidentally sound like Ozzy (and in a doom band, no less) so it greatly undermines any belief that what you're hearing is sincere expression and not just mimicry (and apparently Linderson mimics Reagers during his stint with Vitus; what a fraud.) Furthermore a lot of these songs seem to have no aim beyond just trying to be crushingly heavy. Basically everything I don't want out of doom; DNF.
tfw when bands like Overkill do doom metal more justice

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
Faith_no_more_angel_dust.jpg

Downrated from a 4 to a 2.5 on RYM in one listen. Still some good ideas here but many are obnoxious, and worse yet, just as many are plain boring.

I still like The Real Thing though.

Faith_no_more_angel_dust.jpg

Downrated from a 4 to a 2.5 on RYM in one listen. Still some good ideas here but many are obnoxious, and worse yet, just as many are plain boring.

I still like The Real Thing though.
Mike Patton was way ahead of the times with “autism awareness”...try Mr. Bungle, it’s no less obnoxious but more deliberate

I think I'll always love Carousel even though it's such an Oingo Boingo knock-off, and there's a few other songs on the first album that are pretty good too, but yeah overall Patton is one of the most overrated guys in rock/metal.

Overrated?...lol, I’ve never heard someone call someone so underwhelming “overrated”...

Isnt that the point of calling something out as overrated? Patton has a rather large cult following that proclaims him to be some kind of music god (as is the norm for cult followers), and none of his stuff really leaves a lasting impact. Ive always considered his music as generically eccentric, and the strange stuff is usually just weird for the sake of being weird and doesnt come across as genuine to me. It is like he thinks mocking circus music is somehow deep, and when he doesnt do that he just plays generic alternative rock in the vein of background music to bang your high school girlfriend to. The man has a good voice, but his artistic vision is shallow and usually ostentatiously schizophrenic. King for a Day and Disco Volante are probably his high points, and they are 6-7 out of 10 albums at best.

Isnt that the point of calling something out as overrated? Patton has a rather large cult following that proclaims him to be some kind of music god (as is the norm for cult followers), and none of his stuff really leaves a lasting impact. Ive always considered his music as generically eccentric, and the strange stuff is usually just weird for the sake of being weird and doesnt come across as genuine to me. It is like he thinks mocking circus music is somehow deep, and when he doesnt do that he just plays generic alternative rock in the vein of background music to bang your high school girlfriend to. The man has a good voice, but his artistic vision is shallow and usually ostentatiously schizophrenic. King for a Day and Disco Volante are probably his high points, and they are 6-7 out of 10 albums at best.
I totally agree, I’ve just never met one of these “cult followers” lol...I watched a VH1 interview where he was talking about his autism, so the weird/abstract stuff always made sense to me...