Alec's Tavern : The Frost Blast

Everything ok for you, I presume? (Since you have the INTERNETS). My friend's wife is Italian. I should give them a ring.

yes...i live far away from Abruzzo, in the middle-north of italy.
the earthquake was heard also in Emilia Romagna, but not in Toscana (at least not on the coast, my city is build on sand and it's very rare to feel also earthquakes which take place in the vicinities, but generally it is not a seismic area).

now the victim's number have raised to 150, 1500 wounded persons and 60.000 evacuated in the city of L'Aquila (on a total number of 80.000 inhabitants)

it is a tragedy that maybe could be avoided. some weeks ago a scientist told that a big earthquake will take place in the area. nobody listened to him and he was also reported for unfounded alert.....

edit: a friend of mine who lives in Firenze told me he heard the quake a little.

It's terrible. Best wishes for those who survived!
I hope, nobody among your family/friends have been hit.
fortunatly not.
a dear friend of mine has his granparents who live in the city of L'Aquila which was struck the harder.
i phoned him and fortunatly they have escaped even if their house is totally destroyed.
the quake took place at 3.30 am so everyone was sleeping when it happend, this is why so many people have died.

I have been in earthquakes, and I can tell you the first thing that comes to mind is the apocalypse is happening, when they are over it is such a relief. Earthquakes are quite scary, along with Tornados which I have been in also. I feel bad too for people that live in Volcano cities like in south america, and Hawaii because that can literally erase every trace. The Earth can kill us, and erase our past if it wants too.

Glad to hear you're OK in Italy, and my thoughts are with those who got hurt or killed and their families.

Seattle has what's roughly called 'Low probability, high catastrophe' events - normally, our weather is pretty mild, but we're trained to be prepared for The Big One (earthquake) and/or a volcano eruption. Some of the local towns have lahar drills, where they learn where to run for safety to avoid that multistory high wall of boiling mud flying down Mount Rainier. At least with a volcano, there's a bit of warning - earthquake, none at all.

It's a mindset that takes a bit of getting used to.

I'd take tornadoes. They can wipe out as well, but not on such a grand scale.

seems like a lot of friends of friends of mine are safe and sound.
really happy to hear this news, even if the dead count have raised to 207.

but some people have been rescued also today, and there's still some hope.

here's the destruction the earthquake left behind, people who was there said it was a 40 seconds earthquake (of 6.3 degrees of the richter scale) a never-ending terrifying while.
we do have another scale for magnitudo which is the Mercalli Scale (i don't know if used worldwide) which measures the intensity and consider the effects that the earthquake produces on buildings, structures, humans, and nature. this was a 9 of 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Har har I've experienced that several times :rolleyes: .

it must be unforgettable!
i've never experienced a serious earthquake, only a little one which happened about 30 km from where i live. sincerely i didn't felt anything more then my ass shaking on the couch and windows' glasses which trembled. at first i rembember i thought a big and heavy truck have passed along the street, sometimes it happens because i live in a city famous for making yachts so there's always a big passage of heavy trucks.

anyway the earth doesn't seem to stop, another heavy quake stroke the region yesterday evening, 7.45 pm, of 5.3 richter, which made a famous L'aquila's church totally collapse (no more need to care about people cause the city is totally evacuated). this morning two other quakes, 3.5 and 3.8.
damn, give them a little bit of peace!
the deads are now 250....

it must be unforgettable!
i've never experienced a serious earthquake, only a little one which happened about 30 km from where i live. sincerely i didn't felt anything more then my ass shaking on the couch and windows' glasses which trembled. at first i rembember i thought a big and heavy truck have passed along the street, sometimes it happens because i live in a city famous for making yachts so there's always a big passage of heavy trucks.

anyway the earth doesn't seem to stop, another heavy quake stroke the region yesterday evening, 7.45 pm, of 5.3 richter, which made a famous L'aquila's church totally collapse (no more need to care about people cause the city is totally evacuated). this morning two other quakes, 3.5 and 3.8.
damn, give them a little bit of peace!
the deads are now 250....

I've always experienced minor quakes, for me an earthquake would be around 6-7 in the Richter scale. I remember clearly the one at Limón, lots of damages. I recall the brick walls at my grandma's house moving so fast that I could see a "black hole/area" between the places in which the wall moved. I also remember being totally paralysed but not with fear, I was like "wheee this is fun!" :lol: . Then my grandma comes screaming saying (in Spanish): "get under the table!!!" The last one (Cinchona) was a bit scary because it was quite long, like 40 seconds. And it moved from left to right, not upwards downwards, like usual. Or was it the other way around :p ? Anyhow, he government has basically forgotten about the people of Cinchona, poor guys.

In this moments an earthquake is shaking everything here...all morning has been the same. Lately the E.Q have been kinda 'normal' around here...I wonder if something really big will come soon.

¡Que divertido! I hope those were just some small quakes. Well according to the Aztecs (I think it was them) the world will end in 2011 or something like that. And I believe we have every reason to imagine that hehe, I'm not really such a superstitious guy, but well with the way we've fucked the planet up, I'd say we "deserve" a good Kataclysm.

i'm going to see pestilence tonight, together with vreid...another awaited reunion :headbang:
they play quite near, about 4 hour of car back and then...it's always a big happening when a group comes play in my region (they usually play in the north of italy, i think it's more convenient for them to remain near the borders, near to austria and germany)
anyway someone ventures also in the centre of the country :lol:
i hope to do some good photos....

last weekend i went with some friends to see the ruins of an old monastery built on the top of a mountain called RupeCava which means hollow montain, and in the middle of a beautiful wild wood.
was really a beautiful place, it was a pagan place before church came and ruined all, where people made rites and orgies in the name of the pagan gods Pan and Dioniso. the monastery was build up nearly 1200 and an eremit lived there till the middle of 1800. then it was sadly left to rot.
the most beatiful thing is that some praying rooms are inside the mountain, into caves.
i will post some photos i've made.

someone who had a bad idea :lol:

Damnit. I don't get it. When I sent the link to a friend it worked.
So: It's a limited edition of Ulver's "Blood Inside" limited to 2000 copies. It's number 0000 and signed by all band members.

Damnit. I don't get it. When I sent the link to a friend it worked.
So: It's a limited edition of Ulver's "Blood Inside" limited to 2000 copies. It's number 0000 and signed by all band members.

Damn! :zombie:

NOt my favourite album to be honest, and I hate people who sell their signed CDs, but if it's 000 it may be worth it for someone.

So…

I hope this topic has been on your minds all the time. It's always on mine.

Remember, it's not only one day. Nor one lifetime. It's hundreds of lifetimes, and your grandchildren's future.

^ I loved this video! :)

http://www.polluteless.com/Welcome.html

earth-day.gif

home_sweet_home_earth_day_2009_poster-p228304541914176971t5wm_400.jpg

Maybe we can create a "nature" thread or something? What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the topic of videos (yep, this will be a long shot :)) I was just in the cinema yesterday and saw Iron Maiden - Fligth 666. Man, what a great feel-good movie. I don't believe anyone could possibly walk out of there in a bad mood. + I've been completely hooked on Maiden since (again, that has happened before, he he).
Anyway, if you're interested in a longer review of the film you can visit our site and check under articles. I was in such a good mood when I got home, I just sat right down and wrote it, not because I had to but because I felt like it...
Or, better yet; CHECK IT OUT! You won't regret it, it's better than Prozac :D